280 ackley improved

Andrewd

Six Pointer
Tell me about the 280ai. Good bad ugly. Looking to buy a new hunting rifle and seen as caliber listed. Any better than the older 280.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It's not gonna be one you can just go to Walmart and buy ammunition for, that's for sure. It's a round that never really took off and there's still several more common rounds that will fill it's shoes. You may buy it and love it, but I'd prepare to handload for it since factory stuff isn't going to be around long I'd say.

Deerhuntr

Ten Pointer
If you handload go for it as it squeezes everything you can get out of the cartridge. Otherwise Iā€™d get a 7mm rem mag if I wanted a fast .284 that ammo can be found pretty much everywhere.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Buddy has one - he likes it

i have a 280 rem and a 7mm rem mag, guess i could get rid of both and just get the .280 AI

la angler

Six Pointer
I had a 280AI built in 1988 great cartridge that is nipping on the heels of the 7mm remington magnum as far as speed but uses less powder was not a factory round back then but no problem as I love reloading

Raging Bull

Four Pointer
Love my 280AI. I am pushing 175s at 2820 and there is room for a little more. It's a full custom and shoots extremely well. My buddy built one after I did mine and he lives it as well. Can't go wrong with a 280AI.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
I have found that with RL26 the 280 Rem gives up very little to the 7mm Rem Mag.

Thanks, Dinny

^^what Dinny said!......the std 280 Rem will do anything the AI or 7mag will do, with less recoil to boot. AND, having less recoil you should be apt to practice MORE, especially at longer ranges, if that is your thing.
I built several AI's & 7 mags out in Idaho, BUT found they kill no better than std 280.
Its all about where ya put the lead, and practice helps accomplish that.