277 Fury

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I hadn't heard of this until today...lol.

Looks like it's Sig's answer to the 6.5 Creedmoor. There are so many catridges out there now it's hard to keep up with them all.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

mtnhunter280

Button Buck
The 277 FURY is no 6.5 Creedmor replacement nor is it meant to be.277 Fury was designed to shoot the Sig case,which is a multiple section case and capable of shooting a 130 grain .277 at over 3000 fps in the SIG rifle designed for the cartridge .This from a 16 inch barrel length with pressures of 80,000 psi.
I would not look for any other gun companies to jump on board with these cartridges since the design parameters are well outside the design specifications of most available factory rifle actions and the cases will not be reloadable with current reloading equipment.
This will be one military cartridge,since that is who it was developed for,that does not become very popular with the US Shooters.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Thx for the breakdown mtnhunter....I didnt read to deep about it when I found the article on it.
I thought the 6.8SPC was going to be the military go to round, but looks like it fizzled out.
Wthout looking the 6.8 has to be close to the 277Fury.

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer
277 was specked for the new light machine gun Sig is building for socom. It may not last long, at least Sig is using additional calibers in their Q copy rifle.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Thx for the breakdown mtnhunter....I didnt read to deep about it when I found the article on it.
I thought the 6.8SPC was going to be the military go to round, but looks like it fizzled out.
Wthout looking the 6.8 has to be close to the 277Fury.

6.8 is nowhere near, ballistically speaking, close to what is advertised with the 277 Fury. 6.8 shoots a 120 grain bullet at 2500 fps. 277 Fury is advertised 130 grain bullets over 3000fps in a 16" barrel.

I was really interested when they first started talking about this cartridge. I am a 270 lover, and the thought of a carbine length .27 caliber round that could have magnum velocities was intriguing. But, I haven't heard much about it since the first announcement, I'm sure COVID and all the ammo shortage crap may have really delayed the mass release.

I am pretty sure the Born and Raised guys used the Sig Cross rifle in 277 Fury last season to shoot a couple elk. One of them at nearly 500 yds.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Is that what "Big Game" hunting has come down to?? If I can see it, I can kill it and call myself a "hunter".... sad state.....
They dropped that bull in it's tracks. If you are capable of taking that kind of shot, then go for it. I feel perfectly confident with my current set ups at 400 yds. I will not shoot beyond that, because I have never practiced that far. But if you are proficient at 500 yds, and have the right weapon, I have no issue. If you are proficient at 1000 yds and have the right weapon, then go for it. Hunting out west is a different ball game than around, here. 500 yd shots are rare in the east, except big ag fields. Out west, you can get up on a mountain and see for 5 miles. I had a huge bull elk braodside at 650 yds. Don't think for one second that I wouldn't take that shot if I had practiced at that distance. But, I had not practiced at that distance, so I didn't shoot.

If you have an issue with people taking long shots, then you must have an issue with anyone hunting with a rifle. Why shoot it at 300 yds when you should be able to get within 50 yds and shoot it with a bow? Better yet, why shoot it at 50 yds with bow, you should be able to get within 20 feet and kill it with a spear? I mean, that's how the original hunters did it.

Stop being holier than thou. Dropping an animal dead with one clean shot at 500 yds is just as good as dropping it dead with one clean shot at 50 yds.

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
They dropped that bull in it's tracks. If you are capable of taking that kind of shot, then go for it. I feel perfectly confident with my current set ups at 400 yds. I will not shoot beyond that, because I have never practiced that far. But if you are proficient at 500 yds, and have the right weapon, I have no issue. If you are proficient at 1000 yds and have the right weapon, then go for it. Hunting out west is a different ball game than around, here. 500 yd shots are rare in the east, except big ag fields. Out west, you can get up on a mountain and see for 5 miles. I had a huge bull elk braodside at 650 yds. Don't think for one second that I wouldn't take that shot if I had practiced at that distance. But, I had not practiced at that distance, so I didn't shoot.

If you have an issue with people taking long shots, then you must have an issue with anyone hunting with a rifle. Why shoot it at 300 yds when you should be able to get within 50 yds and shoot it with a bow? Better yet, why shoot it at 50 yds with bow, you should be able to get within 20 feet and kill it with a spear? I mean, that's how the original hunters did it.

Stop being holier than thou. Dropping an animal dead with one clean shot at 500 yds is just as good as dropping it dead with one clean shot at 50 yds.

I would add that making an ethical shot on an animal at those distances presents unique challenges. Not saying it’s harder than killing one up close but it’s certainly not easy.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer

Discounting your piss poor assumptions, having lived in CO for more years than I wanted to I've seen the results of people that "think" their capable of taking a 500 yard shot on a Mule deer and I've found their "results" laying dead in a creek while bird hunting. Thinking of that animal dying from a poor shot and poor follow up is what makes me feel that way.
"If I can see it, I can kill it", you go now...

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Discounting your piss poor assumptions, having lived in CO for more years than I wanted to I've seen the results of people that "think" their capable of taking a 500 yard shot on a Mule deer and I've found their "results" laying dead in a creek while bird hunting. Thinking of that animal dying from a poor shot and poor follow up is what makes me feel that way.
"If I can see it, I can kill it", you go now...
You can go. We were talking about the .277 Fury, not interjecting our personal opinions of what is or is not the definition of big game hunting.

So, unless you have something you would like to specifically add about the 277 Fury or the Sig Cross platform, your posts are not needed in this thread.