277 Fury from Sig

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
I'm not one for fads and such when it comes to new rounds (at least, not anymore) but this one has definitely caught my attention. One, because I have a slight love affair with the 270 and 2, they are touting 3000 fps out of 16" barrel.

Having a gun with a short barrel that can still push a round at that velocity is very intriguing, especially for someone like me who likes to go and gallavant around the Rockies and places like that. Also, the Sig CROSS rifle, while a little "tacticool" for my tastes, could be a legit contender as a mountain rifle.

I would like to see the 277 Fury and some ballistics data with, say, a 160 grain bullet. If that thing could achieve 2700 fps out of 16" barrel, that could be a hellacious slayer of elk size game, maybe even moose.

Haven't bought a new rifle in a while. Going to be watching the CROSS and 277 Fury intently for the next several months. Give some time for the bugs to get worked out.

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I just did some light reading and now...... well, let’s just say it’s getting it’s own saving sock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Would love to piss on my 6.5cm friends with it on a nice 200 yd shot on a whitetail for them to witness

The 6.5 will still be hard to beat at extended ranges, and even harder to beat if they apply the same case technology to it. It’s a 270 with a 16 inch barrel instead of a 24 inch barrel. Very awesome, and I want one, but the ballistics still apply.

Matty

Six Pointer
Contributor
The guys on Born and Raised Outdoors used it recently on a few Elk hunts (Disclaimer: they are Sig sponsored). I believe they took animals at 440 and 480ish yds? They were using the same platform discussed above and they had the new BDX optic that talks to you rangefinder. Interesting set up for sure.

nontypical

Ten Pointer
Hybrid case allows for loading to higher pressures, looks pretty tough to me. Is this the civilian version of the new Army 6.8mm squad weapon cartridge?

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Hybrid case allows for loading to higher pressures, looks pretty tough to me. Is this the civilian version of the new Army 6.8mm squad weapon cartridge?

The only reason it’s in 6.8 configuration is because it’s what the military contract specified, so I’d say there’s a high probability your inclination is correct. I don’t think they’ll apply the tech to any non proprietary SIG chambering due to the pressures. That pressure in a conventional chamber would most likely result in several lawsuits due to blown up guns. I bet they do a SIG 6.5, and 30 cal with the new case tech next. All speculation of course.

nontypical

Ten Pointer
The only reason it’s in 6.8 configuration is because it’s what the military contract specified, so I’d say there’s a high probability your inclination is correct. I don’t think they’ll apply the tech to any non proprietary SIG chambering due to the pressures. That pressure in a conventional chamber would most likely result in several lawsuits due to blown up guns. I bet they do a SIG 6.5, and 30 cal with the new case tech next. All speculation of course.

Yeah I was just reading an article on that. Looks like a lightwieght version of an AR-10 with the same Magazine capacity, and 80,000psi on the ammo.

They haven't won the military contract yet, but it looks like they got their product out first maybe?

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Yeah I was just reading an article on that. Looks like a lightwieght version of an AR-10 with the same Magazine capacity, and 80,000psi on the ammo.

They haven't won the military contract yet, but it looks like they got their product out first maybe?

The stuff I read said that they were one of three left for the contract but that SIG was committed to the technology regardless of if they won the contract. I think that’s why they’ve pushed it out first. Short barrel suppressed rifles that are light weight without giving up speed and half the cost of the entry level custom stuff. I bet they sell a ton.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Yes, everything I have read as well stated that Sig is committed to this round and technology, regardless of what happens with the military contract.

I bet they sell a boat load of these rifles The chasis rifle/precision rifle market is a very popular one right now. But, there is not one available that is this lightweight at this price. The Ruger Precision Rifle is the only thing close it it in price, and it weighs almost 10lbs!!! I have no use for a 10lb rifle.

Sig's website says the 277 Fury will have a 1:8.5" twist barrel. That's good news for using heavier bullets. Most .270s have 1:10 twist and won't stabilize anything over 150 grains. I really want this round to get out on the market so people can start experimenting with heavier bullets. The Berger EOL 170 grain in this thing could be freaking amazing, assuming that long bullet doesn't exceed COAL specs.

Like I said earlier, this rifle and round checks a lot of boxes for me. Short action, short barrel, light weight, folding stock (not necessary but an added plus for packing), great velocities in a short barrel. I'm excited. But, like I mentioned earlier, I am going to give this one a while before I purchase one. The first gen rifle may have a bug or two and I want to see what the real world is saying about the 277 Fury.