270 WSM - Curious little cartridge

Wirehead

Eight Pointer
Anybody out there running one?

looking at the ballistics, it seems to be on par with the ever-growing-in-popularity 280 AI… but in a short action package. I’m extremely intrigued.

thoughts?

Reactions: rni

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
From a logic standpoint - Unless your a reloader and already have components I'd stick with a 270 Winchester. The difference between the two is about like a 308 to a 30/06.
From a guy that likes guns - get it if it floats your boat. I'll be the first to encourge calibers off the norms (I still want a 6mm Remington).
Except Creedmoors, I just can't get on that man bun wearing bandwagon LOL. :stir:

Wirehead

Eight Pointer
I reload and love it. Not so concerned about ammo.

What are the draw backs? On-game performance experience? Why would someone not want a 270 WSM for a compact, light weight rifle for NA big game? Seems darn near perfect…

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Drawbacks
1. On the light side for elk for lots of
Folks
2. Twist rates and magazine lengths don’t support new high bc heavy’s
3. Ammo cost and availability vs standard 270
4. Performance is only marginally better than 270 with more powder, higher cost, less barrel life.

Game perfomance
1. All the ones I’ve shot have died emphatically.

Why wouldn’t someone want it?
1. 300 WSM does everything the 270WSM can do and everything it can’t.

Keep in mind, I own one and love it. But I feel like what I wrote above is as unbiased as I can be.

Wirehead

Eight Pointer
That’s pretty clear...

On your drawback 1 - a 338 win mag is on the light side for some folks. I struggle with a 270 WSM being light for elk. Ballistics are pretty close to on par with 7mm mag.

What length barrel is your rig?

Really good thoughts... keep’m coming.

Wirehead

Eight Pointer
From a logic standpoint - Unless your a reloader and already have components I'd stick with a 270 Winchester. The difference between the two is about like a 308 to a 30/06.
From a guy that likes guns - get it if it floats your boat. I'll be the first to encourge calibers off the norms (I still want a 6mm Remington).
Except Creedmoors, I just can't get on that man bun wearing bandwagon LOL. :stir:
I’d buy 15 260 Remingtons before I bought a creedmor. I’m with you…

I too am intrigued by 6mm cartridges!!!!!

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
That’s pretty clear...

On your drawback 1 - a 338 win mag is on the light side for some folks. I struggle with a 270 WSM being light for elk. Ballistics are pretty close to on par with 7mm mag.

What length barrel is your rig?

Really good thoughts... keep’m coming.
I didn’t say it wouldn’t kill them, I also don’t have personal experience killing elk. But a lot of folks who kill lots of elk, want big 30s, but you can also see people killing them with .223 Remingtons. I would take a 270WSM elk hunting, as well as a regular 270. But that doesn’t change the fact that it won’t do a better job than any magnum 30, and you aren’t saving any noticeable recoil over a 300wsm with 168 grain pill.
It’s an a-bolt m-1000 eclipse. 26 inch tube.

CBD21

Eight Pointer
I’ve had a custom one for years and have zero complaints and have ran everything from 130-150gr through it. I also have a .300wsm that I like.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I have never owned nor shot any of the WSM cartridges, but almost everyone I know that has claimed the recoil was pretty rough compared to their sister cartidge.....meaning the 270WSM kicked more than the 270 Winchester, the 300WSM was worse than the 300 Magnum.
Any truth to that from you WSM owners?

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have never owned nor shot any of the WSM cartridges, but almost everyone I know that has claimed the recoil was pretty rough compared to their sister cartidge.....meaning the 270WSM kicked more than the 270 Winchester, the 300WSM was worse than the 300 Magnum.
Makes sense... more powder + more velocity should = more recoil.

CBD21

Eight Pointer
My .270wsm is heavy so it’s not a fair comparison but my 300wsm is in a tikka T3x lite and it’s not bad at all.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
With an Apples to Apples comparison there is no noticeable difference in felt recoil between them to me.

I will say however that my Dad’s Kimber Mountain Ascent in .300 WSM is noticeable in general… but a rifle that weighs in under 6lbs bare and under 7 lbs with scope and a full Mag that’s pushing a 200 gr Accubond somewhere in the vicinity of 3100 fps is likely to have noticeable recoil😁

Last edited:

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
No

treein dixie

Twelve Pointer
I had one key words had, wouldn't have another. I may have some ammo left if you decide to go with one have to check.

Scrub

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

My neighbor bought a 270WSM and it bit him a couple of times so it stays in his gun case pretty much now. But he readily kills them with a 6MM.

22LR

Twelve Pointer
I have owned 300 win mag and 300 wsm and the 300 wsm had more recoil

Bean

Eight Pointer
I been shooting one for 10-12 years absolutely love it. My niece started shooting it when she was 8 and killed many deer with it. I don't think the recoil is bad at all. I shoot a creedmoor to. I just keep my man bun rolled up in my hat LOL. Dead is dead don't care how fast or hard a projectile gets to the animal.