27" vs 29" Draw Length

tpham32

Button Buck
Hey everyone, just like the title says. I just got a Prime Ion bow but it had 29" cams on it. While the 27" cams are being delivered, I decided to try out the 29" draw length. I can shoot it just as well, if not better than my old bow at 27". It's pretty comfy at 29". But if you measure me, I am at 27.7". Can you guys convince me I need to go back down to 27"? Thanks in advance.

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
Practice in hunting situations (close treestand shots) and consider if heavy clothes might make a difference as well.

MrVegas

Spike
Not an expert, but I would say you've got an issue with understanding your anchor point. If you had a definitive anchor point, you would have a definitive draw length. I would suggest getting with an experienced archer and work that out.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
I always like a bow that is a tad short. I like my D loop a little longer than most. A little longer D loop keeps you from tourqing the string when you draw back and anchor. Also hunting in tree stands and out west a little shorter is better.

Last edited:

tpham32

Button Buck
Thanks everyone, all valid points. I will get it setup for the 27". I can see with a thicker hunting jacket that the string would probably hit it as I am not able to bend my elbow as much.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Split the difference and go with 28! If your 27.7 then 28 may be best fit depending on d-loop length. Being a knuckle dragger I have a hard time finding a bow with a long enough draw length, shoot a 31 inch with long d-loop let’s me pull solid to the back wall.