260 Remington shooters

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I dont own one but have shot a couple.

They are generally very accurate, low recoil and deadly on deer. Whats not to like!
Only isdue is ammo availability, but if you reload thats not a problem.

Last edited:

Deep River

Ten Pointer
Contributor
My primary deer hunting rig is a .260. Love it. Flat shooting, high BC 140 gr bullets carry a lot of downrange energy at long distances. powder soft recoil.

Ammo can be hard to find. I reload, so no worries. I would be just as happy with a 6.5 CM. I couldn't find the left handed rig I wanted in 6.5 CM when I purchased the .260.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I love the 260. It’s a grown up’s 6.5 creedmore😂😂😂
I’ve had two. @CBD21 currrently has mine because I can’t get it to shoot to the standards I expect but from a hunting perspective, it’s one of my favorites.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
My Savage .260Rem is a favorite. It has low recoil, shoots flat and accurate. I've never had an issue shooting NC sized deer with it. The 120gr Nolser Ballistic Tip has been the most accurate from my rifle. The 130gr Nosler Accubond isn't too shabby shooting either.

<>< Fish

Guybo

Eight Pointer
Nice caliber no doubt. I purchased my daughter a model 7 years ago and it was a shooter. I sold it several years back and bought her a 700 sps and dropped it in a CDL stock and it's also a shooter. She's harvested quite a few deer with that caliber and it's pure deer poison for sure.

The only bullet that she has ever used in both the model 7 and her current 700 is the Sierra 120 gr Pro Hunter and it has been an excellent performer on deer.

I honestly don't have any cons with the .260, it's my second favorite caliber behind the 25.06 which is my first 😁.

CBD21

Eight Pointer
I love the 260. It’s a grown up’s 6.5 creedmore😂😂😂
I’ve had two. @CBD21 currrently has mine because I can’t get it to shoot to the standards I expect but from a hunting perspective, it’s one of my favorites.
Don’t worry I fully plan on breaking it in before I return it 😂😂

klim

Twelve Pointer
My Savage .260Rem is a favorite.

<>< Fish

Well long story short, I picked up one last weekend brand new in a Savage model 11 in a light model. (I think thats what was on the box). It has the fluted bolt and slits in the forearm under the 20 inch barrel. The only things I don’t like about is the plastic trigger guard an magazine and the lowest I can get the trigger pull is 3 pounds 25 oz’s I have friend that has one in a Ruger Mark II with skeleton stock and it shoots lights out with 140 grain Remington Core-Locs

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Well long story short, I picked up one last weekend brand new in a Savage model 11 in a light model. (I think thats what was on the box). It has the fluted bolt and slits in the forearm under the 20 inch barrel. The only things I don’t like about is the plastic trigger guard an magazine and the lowest I can get the trigger pull is 3 pounds 25 oz’s I have friend that has one in a Ruger Mark II with skeleton stock and it shoots lights out with 140 grain Remington Core-Locs

The lightweights can be finicky to shoot accurately from what I have heard. When I go my first Ultra Light Arms I had to learn shooting techniques to get the accuracy I was after.

<>< Fish

tbear2

Spike
Bought my wife a model 7 in 260 when they first came out. I put a Leupold 3-9 scope with Warren rings & an after market trigger set at 3 pounds. She only used for punching paper. I was teaching groups of ladies that were going to Africa with husbands that wanted to learn to shoot 375 cal. rifles. I started all of them out on this rifle with great results. When we moved permanently to Lake Gaston my wife decided to sell the rifle to a friend. I would recommend the 260 for any antlered game animal at reasonal ranges in NA.
tbear

klim

Twelve Pointer
^ in other words, I'll keep my 260 along with its prefered load. No reason to get on the fad of the creed craze... just as I figured..

I agree!! I’ve got to admit I was going to buy a creedmoor when they first come out, then I got to comparing and reading up on the two cartridges. IHMO it was just reinventing the wheel so to speak. The creedmoor was pushed and advertised more, where the 260 was not by Remington. Remington has had a lot of great cartridges fall by the wayside because of piss poor advertising such as the 6mm Remington vs ( 243 win and now the 6mm Creedmoor) 6.5 Remington Mag vs (264 win mag). I think it just comes down to advertising and how far company wants to push a particular cartridge.

Th
I agree!! I’ve got to admit I was going to buy a creedmoor when they first come out, then I got to comparing and reading up on the two cartridges. IHMO it was just reinventing the wheel so to speak. The creedmoor was pushed and advertised more, where the 260 was not by Remington. Remington has had a lot of great cartridges fall by the wayside because of piss poor advertising such as the 6mm Remington vs ( 243 win and now the 6mm Creedmoor) 6.5 Remington Mag vs (264 win mag). I think it just comes down to advertising and how far company wants to push a particular cartridge.
They made em out to be the best thing since sliced bread and sold a ton of em....I think it is a decent round but can’t jump on that train myself....another great round was the Remington 280 that didn’t get much love but a awesome performer

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Th

They made em out to be the best thing since sliced bread and sold a ton of em....I think it is a decent round but can’t jump on that train myself....another great round was the Remington 280 that didn’t get much love but a awesome performer
I’ve got a Remington 700 Mtn Rifle in .280 and it’s without a doubt my favorite NON magnum cartridge.