.250 Savage Shooters?

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Any .250 Savage (.250-3000) fans or shooters here? I don't have a need but I do have a hankering to build one or buy a replacement barrel for a Savage action or Encore frame.

I recently helped a friend replace an old broken 2 3/4x Redfield on his handed down Savage 99 in .250 Savage and it was a pleasure to shoot.

Based on the reloading data that I've looked at it looks like it would be pure death on thin skinned game with today's bullets from a light handy carbine.

<>< Fish

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My BIL has a Savage 99 in 250 Savage that an old farmer he used to help gave him. I love shooting it when we get together but try as I might he won't part with it. Yes I made him trade offers heavily in his favor. It has mild recoil and isn't loud but it thumps even his big northern whitetails. It hits much harder than one would think that small cartridge should. I too have thought about building one. I recently missed an Encore barrel by a few hours!!!!

Last edited:

1SHOT1KILL

Old Mossy Horns
I've been shooting a Ruger M77 in 250-3000 since about 1976. I was my first real groundhog and deer rifle. Killed tons of stuff with it. My son killed his first deer with it as well. My grandson will be shooting it and hunting deer with it in a couple years.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Any .250 Savage (.250-3000) fans or shooters here? I don't have a need but I do have a hankering to build one or buy a replacement barrel for a Savage action or Encore frame.

I recently helped a friend replace an old broken 2 3/4x Redfield on his handed down Savage 99 in .250 Savage and it was a pleasure to shoot.

Based on the reloading data that I've looked at it looks like it would be pure death on thin skinned game with today's bullets from a light handy carbine.

<>< Fish

I am a HUGE fan of the .250-3000,,,,mine is a Savage 99 love that rifle,,,twist rate limits my bullet choice but I am good with that,,,it's a deer killing machine

one day I'll get a bolt rifle in that caliber,,,,

read Larry Koller's "Shots at Whitetails",,,that man was a .250 Savage fan as well, and a good author,,,,his book helped mold my mind on deer hunting when I was a 12 year old,,

bear5

Spike
Have a Ruger and a Remington Classic in 250 Savage. Deer Yotes and Crows all taken with both. Handload Nosler 100 Gr. Bal. Tips. TRIPLE FORKED LIGHTING on deer. Longest shot around 175 yds. big coyote. Great rifle for youngsters ladies or aged deer hunters like me.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks for the insights and info.

I looked over McGowen's website today and I can get a custom .250 Savage barrel from them for about $350. Stainless, matte, 1-9 twist and custom length. Now I need to find a donor lefty model 10/11 Savage.

<>< Fish

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Shaw barrels are decently priced too......just saying.

The .250 spits lead at that magical/DEADLY velocity of 2600-2900 fps which lets bullets expand wonderfully, imparting most of their energy in the target critter.

madmtmike

Button Buck
Man, I have alot of rifles but more often than not I grab a 250 Savage. Have three of them now, all Ruger tang safety M77s, free floated, glass bedded & reworked trigger. All easy stuff to do. Shoot mainly 100 gr Sierra flat base spitzer but also good results with 100 gr Barnes TSX. No deer or hogs have survived this combination. Not all one shot kills but easy enough to slip another one in them. Best powder so far has been H4895.
Can't say enough good things about this round. Have been shooting it since 1989.
Don't overlook Shilen barrels. I restocked one of mine, 10T, 24" & it'll shoot 2.5" at 420 yards with Berger 115 gr VLDs.
Regards.
madmtmike

Frostcat

Twelve Pointer
I had a Remington Classic in 250 that I traded off, big mistake. I now have a savage 99 and would also like to have a bolt action.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
I had a Remington Classic in 250 that I traded off, big mistake. I now have a savage 99 and would also like to have a bolt action.

Super easy to convert a short action Savage model 10, 11 or 16 into a .250 Savage. I'd already have one built if if for chasing a .26 Nosler build into a rabbit hole.

<>< Fish

Guybo

Eight Pointer
I've never owned one by I have a friend who has one in a Remington Classic and it's a very sweet shooting rifle and is very accurate. He's killed truck loads of deer and other critters with it. I'd love to have it but he say's he'll never part with it and I really don't blame him. I think he said he bought it in the early to mid 80's.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Reviving a thread from the dead. I found a pre-accutrigger lefty Savage Model 12 in 22-250 that is going to become a .250 Savage before big game seasons roll around. Still planning to use a McGowen barrel with a 1:9" twist, 20" length and threaded 5/8-24. Still looking at trigger, stock and optic options. I have intentions on using a 2-7x3? or a fixed 6x scope on this. Now to stock up on some Nosler 100gr BT and 110gr AB bullets.

<>< Fish

Jimbob78

Twelve Pointer
Reviving a thread from the dead. I found a pre-accutrigger lefty Savage Model 12 in 22-250 that is going to become a .250 Savage before big game seasons roll around. Still planning to use a McGowen barrel with a 1:9" twist, 20" length and threaded 5/8-24. Still looking at trigger, stock and optic options. I have intentions on using a 2-7x3? or a fixed 6x scope on this. Now to stock up on some Nosler 100gr BT and 110gr AB bullets.

<>< Fish
257 cal are bad dudes, especially with the newer projectiles. I had a hs precision htr chambered in 257wby that shot the nosler bt sub 0.3 moa all day. I’ll have another 257 cal one day just not sure on the cartridge but probably a prc.