250-3000 Savage 99

What did the gun print on paper? I’m excited to follow this. Any ideas where you are going start with powder and charges?

From brief amateur reading it sounds like light bullets and light charges around 2750fps are producing the best groups.

Thread starter #35
What did the gun print on paper? I’m excited to follow this. Any ideas where you are going start with powder and charges?

From brief amateur reading it sounds like light bullets and light charges around 2750fps are producing the best groups.
I only shot 25 and 50 yards, very limited ammo. The long discontinued 100 gr Winchester Silver Tips seemed better than the 100 gr Remington's. Photos attached are what I'll be trying out...

Attachments

Thread starter #37
I'm enjoying researching the history of this old rifle. I'm looking forward to getting her back in the deer woods. It likely hasn't been there in years. I was told it was owned by an elderly man in deteriorating health. Thanks to our resident 99 expert woodmoose, I think I've figured out exactly what I have.

A 1929 Savage 99G takedown. (Early version)

The model 99G was roughly the same as the early 99F only it was furnished with a pistol grip butt instead of the straight grip, checkering was always used on this model and looks very much like a model 1899 250-3000 deluxe. It was actually the predecessor of the 99G. The checkering on the 99G started at the butt’s grip cap and rose curving to the side pad while splitting to each side of it. An early model G will have a dovetailed front sight into the barrel and the later ones were switched to a ramp front sight.

Thread starter #38
Any ideas how to find out when this Weaver scope was made? The Stith scope mount? Details are gradually coming together on this old girl....

Thread starter #41
ya might want to ask at www.savageshooters.com maybe there is discussion there bout 99's
There is also, where I go for MOST gun info, since those 2 places have the most folks pooled to learn from www.shootersforum.com and www.go2gbo.com (greybeards) which has 80 forums for each make firearm, etc
dint ya know there was a forum for everything?....JK..but there is if ya think about it
Thanks! I actually found savageshooters yesterday, been on GBO for years.

TravisLH

Twelve Pointer
I’ve had several laugh at my 99s but they’re probably the best shouldering weapon I’ve ever used and I have an old 99 in 308 that’ll hold its own with or out shoot a heap of modern bolt actions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Any options to make the old Weaver brighter/clearer? Will a newer scope fit the Stith mount?
They weren't exceptionally clear to start with. But most likely the years hasn't been all that kind to it. Weaver will refurbish the old scopes but the charge for it is fairly hefty and quite honestly the end result isn't usually all that great.

Thread starter #48
clean the glass

could always see if Weaver will do a refurb on it - or check out the folks at Iron sight inc

GASP,,,,,blasphemy,,,,,,
I did clean the glass with my eyeglasses cleaner. It helped a little.

HAHA, I figured. Drill and tap the front would be a big NO too I reckon...

Last edited:
Thread starter #49
They weren't exceptionally clear to start with. But most likely the years hasn't been all that kind to it. Weaver will refurbish the old scopes but the charge for it is fairly hefty and quite honestly the end result isn't usually all that great.
Thanks. I guess it's better than iron sights, especially with my old eyes.

Thread starter #53
All my reloading supplies have arrived. With the incoming weather I'll get some test rounds loaded. Pleasantly surprised the 87 gr bullets are longer than what I expected. I test resized a few 22-250 cases just for giggles since I have a bunch and they upsized fairly easy.