250-3000 Savage 99

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My long time dream caliber became a reality today. I decided to stop in my favorite pawn shop today and spied a box of 250 Savage ammo. I immediately ask if there is a rifle that goes with that ammo. He says I haven't seen one, but let me go in the back and check guns that came in Friday. After a few minutes he comes out with this beauty. I start drooling and my mind racing remembering all the prices I've seen over the years I've been looking for one. I've seen everywhere from $800-$1800 with a common price in the $1000-$1200 range. I google the serial number and it was made in 1929. It's not perfect but it's in amazing shape to be 89 years old. I can't stand it anymore and nervously ask the price. A phone call to the owner and he comes back with..... you've been a long time good customer, how about what we paid... $600 OTD with the box of ammo!! Now I must have looked like a computer having a hard drive crash, standing mouth open, eyes rapidly blinking. I'LL TAKE IT!!!! I can't wait to go shoot it tomorrow. Lever action 2.0 upcoming for this ole boy!!

On a side note: Does anyone recognize the vintage scope? There is no name on it. It's a fine crosshair fixed power of I'm guessing 3x. The front mount is in the rear sight dovetail.

Attachments

• 6D2333D5-745A-4C40-BB3E-05E65DC60982.jpeg
    6D2333D5-745A-4C40-BB3E-05E65DC60982.jpeg
    100.6 KB · Views: 126
  • 6CB59450-9B6C-435D-950A-EE69B91407E9.jpeg
    6CB59450-9B6C-435D-950A-EE69B91407E9.jpeg
    340.1 KB · Views: 154
  • 7EA52E02-4034-42B0-8977-6160CC61173C.jpeg
    7EA52E02-4034-42B0-8977-6160CC61173C.jpeg
    136.3 KB · Views: 127
  • B1BE31E0-BA57-4DC3-AC9D-D12F3FE29A44.jpeg
    B1BE31E0-BA57-4DC3-AC9D-D12F3FE29A44.jpeg
    161.9 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Here's a pic of the front of the scope. I'm researching and I do C485DB4A-696F-4CD8-9704-C2544A7FD284.jpegbelieve this is a takedown model rifle.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
That's a fine looking piece of equipment and I know you were happy to find it. When I first looked at the scope my first thought was that it was an old Weaver by the shape of the rear objective.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm ecstatic!! I've been looking on and off near 20 years. Yes, I too get the Weaver vibe. It's pretty clear, especially for its age. It's the oddest looking mount I've ever seen. If it shoots decent I'll leave it as is. If not I'll look into upgrading...

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
What a cool find. Do you plan to reload or buy new factory? I haven’t looked a price but I have never seen the ammo anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
What a cool find. Do you plan to reload or buy new factory? I haven’t looked a price but I have never seen the ammo anywhere.

My reloading stuff has been in storage since my divorce in '09, nowhere to set it up. It looks like Remington and Hornady make factory loads so hopefully it likes one of those.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Is it a Takedown Model...….with the latch in the forend?
Does that just remove the wood.?..or also remove the barrel?

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
That is 1 killing round, since it sends lead in the magical 2500-2900 fps range that bullets are made to mushroom.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Is it a Takedown Model...….with the latch in the forend?
Does that just remove the wood.?..or also remove the barrel?

It is a takedown model from what I can find online. The barrel and forearm come off together. I just got it and haven't tried to remove it. Headed out in a bit to shoot it and hopefully complete the lever action challenge with a second lever gun this year.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Nice find. That rifle deserves a nice hard case to transport it while broken down. Jealous! :sick:

I do have a lefty Savage 10 action/stock setting here waiting on me to put a .250 Savage barrel on it. School and a career change this year put it and my .26 Nosler project on hold with time issues.

<>< Fish

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I love the .250-3000,,,and it's best in a Savage 99 of any variation,,,I have one as well - love that rifle - like a deer lazer for killing if you do your part

I've been enamored by that round since I first read of it in Larry Koller's "Shots at Whitetails" that I read 40-11 times in the early to mid 70s,,

good find

and yes, weaver scope and stith mounts,,,,you see a lot of neat mounting variations for old Savage 99s since they weren't normally factory drilled and tapped (a sin to do it to one!)

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Took the old gal out to get aquatinted a little. She shoulders and points very natural, better than my old 760 I brought along too. I'm liking the slender forearm and overall balance. The trigger pull is heavy but has no creep, I can get used to it with practice. The old Weaver scope isn't clear and bright like my Leupold's, but it's much better than irons with these old eyes. I was happy when the first shot hit center one inch low. I then quickly remembered the fault of old scopes. Move it up, it moves up and left, move it down, it moves down and right. I think it's finally dialed in and I have what should be enough ammo to finish out the season. I'll mail order some ammo soon. Remington and Hornady each have a 100 gr load available. Recoil and report are both mild. Overall I'm a happy camper. I think we'll enjoy the deer woods together for many years.

Last edited:

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
emington and Hornady each have a 100 gr load available.

if that gun was made in '29 you might find better accuracy with bullets below 90 grains as the older versions had a 1:14 twist rate

hard to find now a days though,,,,

Maybe I should look into one of those hand presses. Sierra makes a 90 gr hollow point Game King bullet that they say is perfect for deer at 250 Savage speeds.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
It is a takedown model from what I can find online. The barrel and forearm come off together. I just got it and haven't tried to remove it. Headed out in a bit to shoot it and hopefully complete the lever action challenge with a second lever gun this year.
Nice rifle, great deal too. I have a 303Savage takedown and have killed several deer with it.
Yours is a takedown model but with that mount......nope.
To take it down, you unlatch and remove the fore end and then quarter turn the barrel and remove it.
I would break it down and give it a gentle cleaning without ammonia bore cleaners.
Put it back together and go let it do what it was made for.........kill deer.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Dang I didn't even think about the scope mount hindering the takedown. Question - the latch feels stuck. Any tips or tricks? After deer season closes I want to take it apart and give it a proper cleaning. I'm hoping to take a deer or two with it first :)

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
With the 1:14 twist I'm looking at Speer 87 gr SP and Sierra 90 gr HPBT. They both have good reviews for deer at the 250's speeds. Anyone using either?

Last edited:

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Decided to stick with the nostalgia of the rifle. With the slow 1:14 twist it was designed with the Speer 87 gr hot core at 3000 fps. Speer says the hot core is intended for deer size game at the 250's speeds so I ordered a bag and a set of dies. I'm going to try to resize a few 22-250 brass as I have a bunch of it until I find proper head stamp brass.

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
just order you some brass from cabelas, brownells, mdsouth, grafs or wherever,,,no need to resize good 22-250 brass

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Sir - heck no I ain't trading - my prices are WAY higher than you'll find online

cabelas has it in stock,,,29.99/50 - that's the general price range for new unprimed brass
brownells has it for 30.99 - but yes, not now
ammoseek has many options (more expensive than above)
graf & sons has it in stock as well

issue I have found with resizing 22-250 is neck splits,,,,make sure to go easy on it,,,

I'd buy new brass

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Cabela's was out, must have gotten some in, I'll check. What's the details on your 250?

Thank ya gentlemen!! Just ordered 100 from Cabela's.

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
What's the details on your 250?

99A - with a scope

but I have a 99 addiction

the top is a 99 Series A in .358
second is a 99A in 250-3000,,,
then a 99 in 300 savage,,,

and my little 99 ,,,,an 1899 featherweight takedown in .22 Hi-power made in 1912 from what I can tell,,,,,,with a .410 barrel for it,,,,

DSCN1070.JPG

and a Savage 1899H with steel buttplate in 22 Hi-Power,,,,,
DSCN1095.JPG

need to take a picture of the .303 Savage,,,,,,,