243 with Barnes and 4064 powder.

DuckyDave

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Currently i shoot very mild 100grain Core Lokts with 32 grains of 4064 in my Ruger M77. Killed a bunch of deer with this but want to do a Bucket List hunt for pronghorns. I also want to switch to copper solids. (I read an interesting article by Montana wildife division last week . They euthanized a bunch of sheep with conventional copper-jacketed lead and measured lead fragments up to 11 inches from wound channel. Decided i have probably eaten my fair share of lead already, i dont need more, nor does our 4year old granddaughter who eats a lot of ground venison. But that's another story, another thread).
I have a couple pounds of 4064 left from loading 243, 270, 30/30 that i would like to use up.
Anybody here have success loading 243 with Barnes 85grain TSX bullets or 80 grain TTSX, any where from 32 to 40 grains of 4064 powder? Of course i will ask Barnes Customer support too (on Barnes website i dont see 243 loads using 4064 powder). Some real-world input from this forum would be much appreciated.

Barny

Button Buck
DD

While I do not shoot the Barnes TSX, I shoot Sierra gamekings (85 gr 6mm) with around 35 gr of IMR 4064 and the results are pleasing. I recall 1/2 - 1 MOA across most temperatures and days.

Hope this helps some

EJ

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
(I read an interesting article by Montana wildife division last week . They euthanized a bunch of sheep with conventional copper-jacketed lead and measured lead fragments up to 11 inches from wound channel. Decided i have probably eaten my fair share of lead already, i dont need more, nor does our 4year old granddaughter who eats a lot of ground venison. But that's another story, another thread).
I agree in theory, and read a similar study about 10 years ago that came to the same conclusion. That is one of the reasons I went away from using .243 for deer hunting, although it can happen with any of the higher velocity lead core rounds. I also know it can happen with any lead core bullet, but is less likely in the slower versions according to the study I saw. So I went to heavier rounds, still using lead core, ex. 180 gr. .30-06 and 165 gr. .308. Hopefully I'm digesting less lead that way, but probably still more than with a Barnes style bullet. I think you are making the right move.

Last edited:

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I cut of the top of the pic but it's 80 gr. With Barnes bullets you'll typically hit max pressures before max powder weights listed.

DuckyDave

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Thanks to all for the input. I got Barnes customer service on the phone and they indicated 33 to 38 grains of 4064 is recommended.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I shoot a 6mm Remmy with Barnes bullets..really accurate and never had a problem killing anything that was shot with it. They seem to hold together well for the most part.