24" barrel to short?

ka30270

Six Pointer
Anyone shoot a 24" barrel on their scattergun? Thinking of picking up a 20 ga 24" for general wing shooting use, dove, quail, duck, and back yard clays.

What say you?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
All of mine that I currently use are short, much easier to carry. The only place that I would recommend a longer barrel would be in a duck blind scenario where you would be side by side with several people. Simply out of respect for the people beside you.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Winchester Model 1300 Feather Weight (I believe what it was) 22" barrel with screw-in chokes. Great gun to hunt with. Like a dumbass, I traded it.

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
I prefer a 26 or 28in barrel, but I have owned a few 24in barrels and didn't notice any negatives. It's all in what your comfortable and confident in.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
IMHO... The only downside to a shorter barrel is learning how to control it, very easy to over swing and/or suddenly stop. Once you over come those issues I personally can't tell much difference. Where there is a HUGE difference is after about hour 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 carrying it through the field....

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
My vote would depend completely on the game you intend to hunt. Dove and Ducks longer, grouse in the woods shorter. But if one or the other is all you have then don't let barrel length stop you from hunting. They both will take game but the shooter has to also do their part.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
My 20ga Browning BPS Upland Special has a 22" barrel and performs well on quail, pheasant, the occasional turkey and shooting clays. It does its job as long as I have it pointed in the right direction.

<>< Fish

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
My 20ga Browning BPS Upland Special has a 22" barrel and performs well on quail, pheasant, the occasional turkey and shooting clays. It does its job as long as I have it pointed in the right direction.

<>< Fish
Very fine gun. I had one back mid 1990's was a great upland gun. Sold it to a friend for his son never found another for a deal so ended up with a Benelli 20 gauge to fill the gap.

Vaughn

Spike
I prefer the shorter barrels too. Had a 24" SBE for years and have hunted everything with it...squirrels, rabbits, dove, duck, geese, swan and deer.

Recently picked up an M1 super 90 with a 21" barrel and like it even more.

Jdaddyrox

Spike
I shoot 22” Winchester 1300 shotguns with extra full chokes and can bust up some skeets and birds but I’ll attribute the success to the xtra full choke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk