.223/5.56 rifle barrel twist rates

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Can you shoot 74-77 grain bullets with a 1 and 9 inch twist rate?

I've read 1 and 9 will just not stabilize those kind of match bullets.

Thanks

Last edited:

v8stang289

Twelve Pointer
It depends, My buddies 1:9 twist stabilizes 75 grainers, but I have read of some people having issues shooting heavier than 69's. it basically depends on the length/profile of the bullet and the particular rifle/barrel. 1:9 is definitely not ideal for heavies, but sometimes it works. All you can really do to know for sure is try it and see if they work for you.

Tighter twist rates will rip the jacket off heavier rounds is my understanding.

This isn't true. The heavier (longer) bullets need a faster twist to stabilize. The opposite is kinda true. A lightweight (40gn or so) projectile with a lot of velocity could potentially come apart if shot through a really fast twist barrel (1:7). Basically it could sling itself apart due to excessive rpm.

Last edited:

pinehunter

Eight Pointer
My 1/9 Axis has been good up to 75 gns. It prefers the 63 gn Win PP. I have a 1/9 Savage Axis and an AR. The Axis is better with heavier projectiles.

JLove1974

Twelve Pointer
really it's not about the weight of the projectile as much as the length. A 55gr lead boat-tail will have less surface area/drag down the barrel than a Barnes 55gr copper TSX due to the differences in length. Longer bullets need more twist.
http://www.bergerbullets.com/wp_super_faq/what-do-you-mean-by-faster-and-slower-twist-rate/

I personally feel that a 1-8 twist is about near all around perfect, but NATO specifies 1/7 so that's what many are going to. The 1/9 twist was just a industry standard for years. The original M16 had a 1/12 twist
and that's how the 'tumbling bumbling' yawing bullet myth got started.

I'd rather have a properly designed bullet do what it does than rely on some unstability to cause damage.

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I think 1 and 8 is best too in my research but its hard to find outside of ultra match barrels.

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
RR Coyote Carbines are 16" with a 1-8 twist and day in and day out you will be hard pressed to find something that shoots any better than they do with with most 50-75 gr stuff. You get below 50 they aren't to happy with it.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I see that.

But a lot of hunting rounds are merely .223.

I think 5.56 is more the military type rounds?

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You would be way ahead of the game to get one chambered for both that way you wouldn't be so limited for ammo. Especially if it becomes hard to get. That is if daddy lets you have one.

JLove1974

Twelve Pointer
I see that.

the round is more or less the same. Maybe a bit higher pressure on the 5.56 spec ones but no big deal. The chamber is what is different. A Wylde chamber splits the difference and will fire both.

Here's a smoking hot deal for Anderson parts. Buy you an anderson lower locally and put you a 1-7 twist free floated railed carbine together for around $450 shipped
http://geauxarmory.com/build-kits/556-carbine-build-kit-2

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I see that.

223 and 556 are the same thing.
No difference in the two.
The do not show loàd data for 223 and data for 556, most all show 223/556.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
You would be way ahead of the game to get one chambered for both that way you wouldn't be so limited for ammo. Especially if it becomes hard to get. That is if daddy lets you have one.

I could just stick with my .308 but figured .223/5.56 was a better varmint/coyote cartridge.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I could just stick with my .308 but figured .223/5.56 was a better varmint/coyote cartridge.

Why?
when dead is the objective what is wrong with overkill?

What range you shooting?
A 308 will kill a dog at any range a 223 will maybe even better at distance.
You can also get some smoking rounds shooting a 110 or 125 bullet.

The full line of varmint guns is just a ploy for the builders to sell you a gun that is not really needed.

If you will shoot a deer with it you can darn sure hunt a dog with it....

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Why?
when dead is the objective what is wrong with overkill?

What range you shooting?
A 308 will kill a dog at any range a 223 will maybe even better at distance.
You can also get some smoking rounds shooting a 110 or 125 bullet.

The full line of varmint guns is just a ploy for the builders to sell you a gun that is not really needed.

If you will shoot a deer with it you can darn sure hunt a dog with it....

True but the cheaper ammo for a .223 is what I was considering

Want to save my .308 for deer and bear hunting

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Ammo cost the same if you load.
also you do not need high end ammo for a dog so it can be had cheap.

Next
How many deer have you shot in the last few seasons for each year?
How many dogs you shot the last few years?

When you think about it 1 to 2 rounds in each gun at a dog or deer does not cost much.