.22 Rabbit Hunting

sears303

Spike
I have scanned the site and google for some basic info on rabbit hunting without dogs. I 100% realize this would be the most successful, but it is not an option for me this year or next.

I have a scoped .22, and have seen people get a couple rabbits this way. I have seen folks do very well on farm land. This is my first year hunting, and I'm proud to say I got my first squirrel last week. I am 34, but starting as a 10 year old and teaching myself, so I am pumped about it.

I have been going to Sandy Mush and like the area. Seems like for rabbits, in my situation, openings are my friend. I looked on OnX maps and see some clearings that I plan to focus on, pin pointing the edge of the brush and look for any signs I can for activity and whatnot. I also know the AM and dusk are prime time. I am wondering if anyone has any success with this technique around here at all?

Any info or pointers are much appreciated. I love this site and scan everyones posts for lots of great info, so thank you all!!

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You can go out and kick them up. It’s tough, but you can find one or two if you are in a good spot. Kick through brush piles, old tires, old junk laying in the woods.

m75rlg

Spike
The secret to seeing rabbits before you jump them is don't look for a whole rabbit. Look for eyes. With enough practice you can do it. Or at least I could 59 years ago when I first started rambling through the woods with my Dad's single shot Remington model 33.

Tom cat

Spike
I was taught to look for ears/eyes, then pop um. If you want increase your odds apples help, being from S.C. I can hunt over bait. So you should check your regulations before baiting, 1 other thing though, having a set of see through scope mounts would increase your odds as well due to the fact if a rabbit takes off it's impossible for me to find it in a scope and get a kill shot. But that's just me. Anyhow I hope this helps.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Not long after I started learning how to shoot a bow and arrow my brother and I hunted rabbits with bow and arrows tipped with "grabber" heads. Cant accurately remember how many pair of Carharts I wore the front of the leg out bustin' thru brier patches. Number one on the list of spotting them was looking for their big round eyes. Best part was after the hunt picking briers outa your entire body. (n)(n)(n)(n). We usually wore two pairs of Carhart pants and often wore a set of insulated undies underneath the carharts and two layers of shirts or heavy jackets. I still have one at home as proof and fond memories. LOL.
We tried a dog only once but that didn't go over very well so we wound up being the "dog and hunter". And like NCCATFISHER posted I GUARANTEE you will loose weight quicker than any diet you have ever attempted. Part of the weight loss might be attributed to loss of blood. LOL.