22 Back Stop

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
In all seriousness, I take a wood framed box and stuff it with all the cardboard my wife would otherwise recycle. It's about 2'x3'x2' deep. I pack it tight.
I staple a target sheet over the front.

When it starts getting all shot up inside, I pack more in it, or replace it all, starting from scratch.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
need to clarify. this needs to be about 100-150 feet long/wide so we can have several kids shooting at one time.

v8stang289

Twelve Pointer
I'll second the angled steel. That would probably be most effective if you dont want to use dirt.
I've seen some places use a rubber/synthetic mulch as a medium to stop bullets as well.
You can also buy rimfire rated bullet traps for ~$80. But they are fairly small and provide no margin for error.

Edit: just saw your last post, dirt or sandbags would probably be the best/easiest option

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Yeah, earthen berm is probably going to be the go to option.

but with tires stacked on the inside.
We went to a tire shop, asked what he pays to have them hauled off.
We offered to haul off for 1/2 price, stacked them 5 ft high and about 100 ft long, THEN looked around for FREE fill dirt to be brought in and covered a bit.

you could always make 15 or so individual bullet traps if needed.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
but with tires stacked on the inside.
We went to a tire shop, asked what he pays to have them hauled off.
We offered to haul off for 1/2 price, stacked them 5 ft high and about 100 ft long, THEN looked around for FREE fill dirt to be brought in and covered a bit.

you could always make 15 or so individual bullet traps if needed.

No tires - thats old methods and against the Act

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Ok, so seriously, depends on the where

is the safety zone behind the future range deep / long enough to account for the inevitable AD at a 45 degree angle?

if not, then need an angled roof

then dirt berm - it can have shredded tires but don’t use whole
Waste wood works too
As does the ties mentioned above

to clarify- wood under dirt

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Maybe not for kids but I use 6x6 post or a trees logs turned on it’s side. So shooting at the big round flat part.
I have some sycamore logs 30” face if you want a few.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
1/4" plate steel angled forward with few bags of sand at the bottom still in the bag.
It will deflect down into the sand. May even use lighter steel but 1/4" or more even do with AR500 and you could shoot about anything.
Thisssssssss!!!
Especially when you live where you need to target shoot inside.....
Aguila Colbris and one of these traps are good fun in a well ventilated basement.

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I always wondered if one of those big round bales of hay would work. Haven’t tried it but size would be great and plenty available. Eventually would just break down.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I always wondered if one of those big round bales of hay would work. Haven’t tried it but size would be great and plenty available. Eventually would just break down.
we are going to look at that. There's some of those around

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
[QUOTE="pattersonjSometimes it bounces back. This was an issue at a club a while back.
[/QUOTE]
How can it do you that with all of the dirt piled in front of it?