.22 ammo performance

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Since Billy asked about my statement about "the good stuff" I figured I would not hijack the other thread, especially since it seems to be going in every direction already, and start this one.

Disclaimer: I am no ammunition expert and speak only from personal experience.

Ammo for .22s can range anywhere from $.04/round to upwards of $.50/round. I have not tested a whole lot of different ammos as I'm sure some folks have but I'll leave that for them to chime in on. I only got into semi-serious target shooting a couple of years ago now. The Great Enabler, in my case, was Natebonebusta. I had been playing some of the on-line games with my ancient Stevens 66 bolt and was looking to help the accuracy of it when Nate hooked me up with a CZ 452 American. Until you have spent some time behind a really accurate rifle you really can't appreciate what they can do and it will take a good while to develop your own relationship with the rifle to understand the pecularities about that certain rifle.

For many shooters, minute of tin can is just fine, which should be just fine. The fact that that level of accuracy is good for them shoud not be criticized. The game I am playing is only 25 yards, from a bench, basiclly unmodified rifle, 9X limit on the scope. The center of the bull is the same diameter of a .22 round. 25 bulls, one shot at each. Believe me, it isn't as easy as it may sound.

When I was shooting the old Stevens I was constantly having flyers with CCI Mini-Mags. Moving down to CCI SV (standard velocity) really tightened the groups up. I could still hit a 3 in. plate at 100 yds. with it but not every shot.

When I got the CZ from Nate, he said the rifle liked SK Standard + and Norma Tac22. I was accustomed to spend $2.50/box and this stuff was $5/box. i bit the bullet and bought some of each and started working. This is what I called "the good stuff" at that time. A lot went into getting the rifle to perform for me, including changing the trigger spring (now I have about a 4 oz pull), adding some pieces of innertube at the pressure points in the stock, paying close attention to the torque on all the bolts and keeping the carbon ring, something I had never heard of, out of the chamber.

I have tried some of the different offerings from SK in their higher price range as well as some Eley and RWS. Maybe I didn't spend enough time on those other ammos to get the barrel reasoned and relubed to their likeings but I never was able to improve my scores enough to justify the increase from ten to fifteen to fourty cents per round so I stayed with SK Std. I still have four boxes of CenterX which the wife gave me 2 years ago for Christmas that I hate to waste. I'm waiting till my skill level reaches that point before I go blasting away with $20/box .22.

I shot my best score last December of a 249/250. I can usually stay in the 247 range as a best target of the 4 we are allowed to shoot per month so that was a major accompishment for me. Getting ready to start up next month for a new season.

So, after all that, to answer the question as to the "good stuff". For me, in the 452 it is SK Std. and in the 455 it is Tac22. I won't waste these ammunitions in the Stevens nor any of the other .22 I shoot because I don't think any of them are up to the accuracy level of the CZ. They shoot the CCI SV just fine for plinking and I am happy with that.

For anyone interested who wants to give this game a try, here is a link to the target that we shoot in the CZ matches:

x

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
When I was shooting the old Stevens I was constantly having flyers with CCI Mini-Mags. Moving down to CCI SV (standard velocity) really tightened the groups up.
Mini-Mags are significantly longer than most other .22LR. They is why they excel in revolvers and don't do as well in some rifles, especially older semi-autos. You can see the difference with your naked eye just by standing two rounds upright next to each other. The MM will be visually taller. CCI makes other high velocity rounds that are standard length.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have a Plastic Rem 597(?) that loves the mini mags. Now, I don't know what it would do with the other. Daddy said that it liked the mini mags and that's all I've kept putting through it.

My son's high school team shoots the CZ's and standard velocity CCI's. When we started with the 4-H program, I was recommended to get the CZ, so I went with the new 457, plus the Leupold scope, with Leupold Rings. I'm sure my daddy rolled over in his grave when I put together a $800 squirrel gun. But that thing is Sweet!!!!!

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Lasttombstone,

Take some cheep stuff and some mid grade stuff, make a gauge from an old barrel stub an inch long (I cut in a partial chamber, leaving the rim exposed) and measure the rim thickness.....basically sort em by rim thickness, thin, med and thick. Ya won't have to do any math, just zero the caliper on the 'gauge', drop in a round and read the rim thickness.

Then shoot groups. One rim thickness will typically shoot way better than another. Sort out the ammo, keep the good shooting rim dimension for real work, practice with the rest.

If you need a gauge, holler, I'll chamber a barrel stub and mail it to you. Put in a shell, measure with calipers, sort. Just don't drop it on the floor with a loaded round.

Quite often turns out that even the cheep stuff in a less than stellar gun will shoot pretty darn gooder.,

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
I have had great luck in a 10/22 Bentz chambered barrel with CCI semi auto quiet.
870fps 25yd work
I think it’s the 45gn bullet is pushed up in the lands.
CCI blazer for 100yd work
If I get spendy I haven’t shot anything better than federal gold metal match old stock

I haven’t ever shot sk pistol match but as you know it has a lot of fans at rim fire central.
I really like subsonic ammos accuracy at 25yds but like 1250fps stuff for 100yds and out.
At 25yds there seems to be a sweet spot between 870fps and 1070fps
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Lasttombstone,

Take some cheep stuff and some mid grade stuff, make a gauge from an old barrel stub an inch long (I cut in a partial chamber, leaving the rim exposed) and measure the rim thickness.....basically sort em by rim thickness, thin, med and thick. Ya won't have to do any math, just zero the caliper on the 'gauge', drop in a round and read the rim thickness.

Then shoot groups. One rim thickness will typically shoot way better than another. Sort out the ammo, keep the good shooting rim dimension for real work, practice with the rest.

If you need a gauge, holler, I'll chamber a barrel stub and mail it to you. Put in a shell, measure with calipers, sort. Just don't drop it on the floor with a loaded round.

Quite often turns out that even the cheep stuff in a less than stellar gun will shoot pretty darn gooder.,

If I had a pair of calipers and knew how to read them, I might could do that. Sorry I haven't been down that way yet to see your new digs. I'm still holding on to a rifle and a couple of stocks for you. Maybe we can swap some stuff when you come this way in Bessie.

Ashy Larry

Ten Pointer
I have a tricked out 10/22. When you spend that kinda money to get the utmost accuracy, you then spend it on premium ammo to defeat your friends. I’ve shot most of the expensive stuff. My rifle prefers sk flat nose match($9/50) and eley match ($13/50). It generally does a quarter inch at 50 with the good stuff, so I buy it. My 39a squirrel gun shoots best with subsonic eley hollow, a damn good ammo for the money.

fowlhntr

Six Pointer
I have shot various kinds of ammo in my .22's and it all boils down to what you want to accomplish. I generally shoot at 50 yds off a concrete table. My favorite rifle is a Winchester 75 target. With Lapua center x it will shoot amazing groups. It likes Eley tenex as well but doesn't shoot it nearly as well as the Lapua. CCI standard velocity shoots very well but nowhere near the Lapua. Another rifle shoots the SK match the best. I guess what I'm getting at is all rifles have their favorite ammo when it gets down to cutting hairs.

Lee

Six Pointer
Just for my understanding, what is considered a good group with a 22LR these days? It's been years since I shot in competition and then it was NRA Highpower matches.

I shoot PCP airguns, on top of everything else, and a tenth of an inch per yard is needed to be at the top of the game. Ten shot .25" groups at 25 yards is hard enough, 50 yards requires perfect equipment and wind, and 100 yard groups require a mixture of science, luck and blessings from above.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I can't answer that one for you Lee. If I shoot groups, it's just to warm up and I have never measured anything. I'm sure some here do, but I just hang my target and try to cut that little center spot 25 times in a row. I hasn't happened yet.

Natebonebusta

Eight Pointer
I can't answer that one for you Lee. If I shoot groups, it's just to warm up and I have never measured anything. I'm sure some here do, but I just hang my target and try to cut that little center spot 25 times in a row. I hasn't happened yet.

Once we get Covid clearance, I’m coming up there to cut 25 X’s out of the green monster!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
So you say. Dwayne is coming over tomorrow for a final practice before the season starts next week. If you wait for the pandemic to be over you probably won't ever come again. And I hear it is killing all the squirrels too.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Appreciate the thought Billy, but these are just my thoughts and results. I'm not an expert by any means but I will give my opnion on some things. LOL. You aught to ride up this way some day and shoot some of my rifles and see what you think. I'll spray you down with Chlorox when you get here.

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Appreciate the thought Billy, but these are just my thoughts and results. I'm not an expert by any means but I will give my opnion on some things. LOL. You aught to ride up this way some day and shoot some of my rifles and see what you think. I'll spray you down with Chlorox when you get here.
LOL. I just might surprise you and do that one day Lee.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just for my understanding, what is considered a good group with a 22LR these days? It's been years since I shot in competition and then it was NRA Highpower matches.

I shoot PCP airguns, on top of everything else, and a tenth of an inch per yard is needed to be at the top of the game. Ten shot .25" groups at 25 yards is hard enough, 50 yards requires perfect equipment and wind, and 100 yard groups require a mixture of science, luck and blessings from above.
With my good rifles I will put up a blank sheet of paper at 40 yards and shoot it once then continue to shoot at that bullet hole. It better keep making that hole just slightly larger. Of course I don't do my part nowadays at times but that hole should be around 3/8" or no bigger than 1/2" with 5 shots or I am pissed.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Speaking of GOOD .22 ammo, I shot my last box of Lapua Midas L last month. That loading by far was the most accurate I have fired in .22 rifles. My old Volquartsen 10/22 and 452 Varmint shot them the best with the slight edge and far less fliers going to the 452.

<>< Fish

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Speaking of GOOD .22 ammo, I shot my last box of Lapua Midas L last month. That loading by far was the most accurate I have fired in .22 rifles. My old Volquartsen 10/22 and 452 Varmint shot them the best with the slight edge and far less fliers going to the 452.

<>< Fish
I can't really say I have a "favorite" good ammo. I have many pretty decent rimfire rifles. Many custom or higher end and many have different tastes. Many like SK, several like Eley, several Lapua. Some will even shoot Aguila. All I can say is this none will think about shooting high or hyper velocity as good as they will as even decent just standard velocity or target ammo. Makes me scratch my head when I see folks say their such and such that is just an out of the box standard rifle shoot them well.

Buffet Trout

Twelve Pointer
I never got much into accuracy.

Federal bull pack does me well for plinking and velocitors hammer anything needing shooting.

I fire the federals in open site guns but zero my scopes on the velocitors at 50 yds