218dlv carolina skiff

koszman

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Just wondering how many of you salt water fisherman have taken a carolina skiff 218dlv into the ocean trolling for Spanish or kings. I know it has to be on a calm day. Just seeing what your experience was. Thanks

Last edited:

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
it floats..... What exactly are you after? It's a pretty stable platform and handles seas about like a bathtub. It's a wet ride in any type of weather and can help you pass a kidney stone in any chop.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
They are skiffs, so they will beat you in a chop, especially headed right at them. However, if they were awful there wouldn't be a gazillion of them on the water. They have their issues, as will any skiff, but they have a ton of room, are stable, and can run in shallow water. You would have to pick your days for fishing outside, but everybody does to some degree.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Have improved the V in them from the flat bottom they use to be, and that did help the ride. On calm water, with the room they have, not the last nut to fall from the tree.

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I fish my 238 DLV regularly out to the sea buoy. Troll for Spanish and look for cobia. The "v" design has significantly improved it's ride in chop.

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have taken my 19 dlv out and it’s fine especially if you pick your days. Now if it’s rough it will shake your brain juice out. The inlet is usually what gets me or lots of boat traffic. You get waves coming from all different directions and you have to slow down. I do pretty good till you ride a wave up and drop off the back side.

C52

Eight Pointer
I have owned one since 2010. I have been out on 4to 5 foot days, but that’s pushing it. I am very comfortable taking it out, and if it’s too rough for my Skiff, I don’t want to be out there in a 21 footer that day anyway. It’s not a wet boat, I don’t care what anybody says. Now the flat bottom skiffs will wet you for sure.

koszman

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Thanks, do any of you go out of the New river inlet. Some people say it’s a bear to get out.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
Ive had one since Feb. Ive taken it out the inlet a few time and never felt unsafe. Like others said pick you days to minimize getting thrown around too much, but if you can stand it will handle 3 to 5s. But even with the mod v front its not a great ride in rough water. I do like the wide beam and maximum floor space. And the ability to run shallow is a benefit.

Jake NFC

Twelve Pointer
Yes, on a good day you can easily do this. We do it all the time.

Attachments

• F4C5B711-2597-4ABD-BBEC-B6BF5839AB9D.jpeg
    F4C5B711-2597-4ABD-BBEC-B6BF5839AB9D.jpeg
    90.7 KB · Views: 28

LawDog

Ten Pointer
On good days I have seen them out at the NW Places. I have had two of the 198 DLVs and they do have tons of room, but the quality is not good. I would buy another one if the price was right, but I prefer a bay boat.