'21 Wyoming Elk Semi-Live

np307

Ten Pointer
A few minutes ago, a buddy and I started our trek westward. Straight drive time is 26 hours, we are hoping for 30 including stops. This journey started 7 years ago when I visited Wyoming for the first time and vowed to come back. I had only been hunting for a year at that point but in 2018 I jumped into the points game. In 2019 we went out after antelope as a first exposure hunt and learned a lot about the logistics required. This year I had enough points to pull a general tag and my buddy got a cow tag to go along. I'll try to update as much as I can but it doesn't look like we will have much cell service on the mountain. Snow is on the way with as much as 10 inches falling this evening, we are hoping for less. I've been looking forward to this for a while and am glad to finally make it happen.

hog&deerhunter

Ten Pointer
If you didn't do it already, download Wyoming 511. Great app with real time road info etc. Montana 511 is another great real time road app. Layers include weather etc...

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Good luck, definitely looks like snow. My buddy and his wife are heading to SD tomorrow to their house out there and it's not looking good for landing in Rapid.

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
My Dad is outside of Casper WY now and there is a couple inches on the ground. He said it just started really coming down. Good news is once this blast goes through we should have great weather. Its suppose to get above freezing every day after so that should help. Hope yall have a safe trip out. I fly to Denver in the morning and then from Denver to Casper to grab a rental and meet up with the other guys.

np307

Ten Pointer
My Dad is outside of Casper WY now and there is a couple inches on the ground. He said it just started really coming down. Good news is once this blast goes through we should have great weather. Its suppose to get above freezing every day after so that should help. Hope yall have a safe trip out. I fly to Denver in the morning and then from Denver to Casper to grab a rental and meet up with the other guys.
Yeah looks like the system hasn't made it south yet from looking at the traffic cameras.

Randy

Ten Pointer
Be very, very careful with the Wyoming backcountry roads after this storm. They could get very sloppy when it does warm up after this storm and help could be a long way away. When in doubt, back out.

np307

Ten Pointer
Looking like we will arrive in Cheyenne around 0700, 25 hours after we left NC. We've been monitoring road situations and will probably take the opportunity to have a relaxed sit-down breakfast and some coffee before picking up the last of our supplies from Walmart. The night has been fairly uneventful with one extremely close call with a doe somewhere just past the Nebraska state line. Ready for day to break for sure.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Looking like we will arrive in Cheyenne around 0700, 25 hours after we left NC. We've been monitoring road situations and will probably take the opportunity to have a relaxed sit-down breakfast and some coffee before picking up the last of our supplies from Walmart. The night has been fairly uneventful with one extremely close call with a doe somewhere just past the Nebraska state line. Ready for day to break for sure.
We got hit with 6-8” overnight up here, hopefully won’t have it too bad down where you are.

np307

Ten Pointer
We got hit with 6-8” overnight up here, hopefully won’t have it too bad down where you are.
Right now it looks like the state highways are passable but the interstate to get to them is closed. Estimates on the mountain are 9". Id much rather deal with this now than on the back end of the trip.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Yea weather is clear and below average to average the rest of the week and next week. Perfect conditions once it dries out IMO. 80 has been closed down since yesterday morning.

np307

Ten Pointer
Yea weather is clear and below average to average the rest of the week and next week. Perfect conditions once it dries out IMO. 80 has been closed down since yesterday morning.
25 is closed too which is preventing the detour we had been looking at.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Be very, very careful with the Wyoming backcountry roads after this storm. They could get very sloppy when it does warm up after this storm and help could be a long way away. When in doubt, back out.
Was thinking same thing those rds are better to ride on frozen. wet slpooy equals stuck

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Should be the absolute nicest early rut mule deer weather you could hope for.

hope it’s cold and dry when we leave in FOUR WEEKS!!!!!

Y’all be careful and kill anything you want (within reason)

np307

Ten Pointer
Made it into camp last night. Plenty of snow up here and another inch last night. We've got supplies for a week if we aren't able to get out anytime soon with the melt. Never needed 4lo to get up here so we will see.

Cut elk tracks this morning but its from yesterday and just a solo. Going to keep walking the roads as there aren't any people past us.

Its beautiful out here. Buddy has a cow tag thats valid today but my general tag doesn't open til tomorrow.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
7 miles covered on foot today. Found elk tracks but no elk. Snow was deep in some places. Drove around a little after getting back to see what the roads look like. Excited for opening day.

Go get em! Good luck

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Good luck! Wish I could send the bull we had bedded on the mountain above us this afternoon down to you for the morning. He would be a good general tag bull and was just chilling out in this opening at 4:30.

np307

Ten Pointer
Did another 6.5 miles today without seeing an elk. Saw a few more tracks but nothing promising. We did see some mule deer and later met up with a group who killed one of them. Its been snowing since yesterday evening but the sun is burning stuff off. We quit walking where it was easily over a foot deep and talked to some guys who walked further up and said it was over 20" deep up the trail.

At this point, we are thinking the best play is to try to find a new spot. Not enough sign. We are going to try glassing this evening and tomorrow since the snow is making walking so difficult. Just not many areas to glass. We will see. For all the work, we are still having a good time. Really would like to lay eyes on an elk just to know they arent mythical creatures.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Just killed a spike at 40 yards. Second spot of the day was perfect. Not enough service for pictures. I'm thrilled to death.
Fantastic. Good job.

get your work done and be careful coming off the mountain.

Post pics when you can, and ENJOY the experience.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Awesome job man! You are hooked now. Y’all run into issues and need help I’ll try to make it down there to you, just call or text.