2023 Spring Turkey Camp

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
Lots of miles put in as we launched from Standing Indian campground last year. If my memory serves me right we have 5 attendees by Saturday.
No birds killed b4 I left last year. Good fellowship and stories at camp though, past and present.
🗨 Location ideas???

If it needs to be over a weekend for the M-F folks,
Im off: 4/20-23 and 4/28-5/1.
The 1st n 2nd week i have some midweek days open.

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
I’ve got some school to attend, if I get in during April. I’m gonna try to have the rest of that week off (17th) plus, until about the 26th. After that it’ll be my normal rotating schedule and I may or may not be available. I only work up to three days in a row so there’s a chance I could come during other times, albeit more briefly.

Last edited:

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
I would love to do this. Had planned to last year but just had some family stuff come up.

I can do any weekend except 4/14-4/16.

4/28 is actually a pretty good weekend. My whole family is at dance competition that weekend so I’m a free man!!

Lowg08

Ten Pointer
We will be at the state shoot. I don’t think we have a dance competition that weekend. I hope not. Most all our shoots and dance competitions have landed on the same days so far.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Same with me after date set see what can do. I enjoy a good camp but spring is busy time year lots hunting and trips packed into a short season already planned.
Same. I just ain’t got enough time. Buddy sent me dates yesterday for trip we’ve been talking about for years, and I’m otherwise committed…

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
Three weekends proposed. 4-14 rules out tk13 and any other rules out lowg08 so them fellas are the deciding factors, so far. Best leave it up to them. Rock, paper, scissors?

Lowg08

Ten Pointer
Let me look at when my four day weekends are. We have state shoot 4/29 so I’ll be in ellerbe then. Possible on the 21/22 weekend for me to

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Same. I just ain’t got enough time. Buddy sent me dates yesterday for trip we’ve been talking about for years, and I’m otherwise committed…
Ain't it truth even with jumping around still hard cram it all in you wanna do.

jbcook

Spike
I'm interested in doing this. I'm not very good at turkey hunting and I live 5 hrs away, but it sounds like a good chance to learn a few things and meet some good people.

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
I'm interested in doing this. I'm not very good at turkey hunting and I live 5 hrs away, but it sounds like a good chance to learn a few things and meet some good people.
I’m 3.5 + hours from there and am humbled most of the time by them mountain birds. Only requirement is a good attitude. Bring whatever turkey gear you require if ya wanna hunt. Do some homework on the area though so you’d have a starting point. Standing Indian has no cell service fwiw so you’ll be asking random dudes if they are the guys from NCHF lol.

1stgenHunter

Six Pointer
Following this closely to see what dates ya’ll decide on…would love to attend. Only a 2 hour drive from me.

After hearing the outcome of the bow meetup I nearly attended last fall, I feel the need to ask what the odds of my truck being broken into are 😂 Standing Indian seems a little less backwoods though

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
Following this closely to see what dates ya’ll decide on…would love to attend. Only a 2 hour drive from me.

After hearing the outcome of the bow meetup I nearly attended last fall, I feel the need to ask what the odds of my truck being broken into are 😂 Standing Indian seems a little less backwoods though
At the camp you’re *likely* okay. At the forest gate you’re hunting who knows. As far as the standing Indian crowds go we are the rough crowd. :ROFLMAO:

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
Im 3hrs from Standing Indian.

Once you leave the camp ground you are in the Back woods. Although being out in the boonies, hunting with @TobyScreams, we run across a group of Horse riders ( back woods) and a family of hikers when we got back to the truck. After a measly 9 miles that day, thanks TS. 😪🤣
Only thing "broke" was my fly rod, uppersection. Desided to change gears back at camp and do some trout fishing. Glad i had a back up rod, even if it was a spining setup.

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
Suggestion once we nail down a date and a place. Exchange vehicle make, model, color.
If we are coming in to camp as we can, and cant meet up where there is cell service before going in at a place like Standing Indian..
Last year, @TobyScreams got to the campground first, i got there late afternoon, drove around the camp ground looking him, folks probably though i was casing out there sites.🤔🤣, two more guys came friday then i think Sat @appmtnhntr showed up.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
Everything with me is up in the air. Had the other project manager at my job walk out and left me to pick up all his jobs and mine. Also had some foundation and roof issues on my house so moneys a little tight. If i can swing it i will try to come but everything is just unknown for me right now.
Plus im so pissed off at turkeys from last year i may just fish all spring

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Hey @timekiller13 can you do the weekend of 21-23?
Would be good to get the 2021 mountain group back together with some new folks and the SICG group from last year.
Haven't seen @haywoodhunter, @appmtnhntr, or @Loganwayne chime in yet.
I might be able to breeze through…
But I’m gonna be tagged out the first week:mosh:

Or it will be a relentless slog all season to only have a couple close calls and one miss.