2023 Fresh Water Catch

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
Pics from our camping trip. First Waterfall was outside of cullowhee and the other trout came from a creek in lake Fontana

Attachments

• IMG_2165.jpeg
    IMG_2165.jpeg
    160.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2158.jpeg
    IMG_2158.jpeg
    293 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2154.jpeg
    IMG_2154.jpeg
    263 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2143.jpeg
    IMG_2143.jpeg
    310.7 KB · Views: 24

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
We were about a week to early for the smallmouth to be on a jerkbait pattern.
We did however get on a pretty good king salmon bite on the Niagara bar, along with a right good handful of lake trout.
Nice job dude. I’ve got some in-laws up there and have been saying for years I was gonna go up there and fish with em. Thanks for sharing

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Can ya send me or post a link of that telescoping rod n reel combo? Been needing to get one for awhile.
CA007FA5-D5E0-445C-AC60-68837D592B3A.jpegIt’s the Shakespeare 4’-6” travel mate.

I’ve had a few different kinds over the years, and this is the best ultralight telescoping rod. It’s as close as you’ll get to a unibody. I prefer the feel and action of these to some of my other ultralights.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
View attachment 117514It’s the Shakespeare 4’-6” travel mate.

I’ve had a few different kinds over the years, and this is the best ultralight telescoping rod. It’s as close as you’ll get to a unibody. I prefer the feel and action of these to some of my other ultralights.
Thanks Logan. That’s exactly why I asked. I’ve only tried one kind before and it felt so dang different I didn’t really like the way it felt especially smaller strikes when fishing small water. Cheers

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
I haven't had one of those since years and years ago. I think they called it the "Stowaway" or something like that. It was a yellowish-tan body and a white rod. All plastic, I think. The rod part folded back over the body. I didn't catch much on it. Just a couple Bream.
That was years and years ago.

I sure hate @YanceyGreenhorn ain't gonna make it. You will be missed.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Had a really tough day…..took my dad and he failed to catch a fish. Guide didn’t do his part. Caught 6 small ones all day. Hard to believe it’s 6/1 and the water temp barely reached 70. Also went to a lake that has not been so great the past few years. Hoping for the conditions to settle into whatever normal is going to be for the summer and higher water temps. Ready to break out the tin rig and the little bass hunter. Until next week.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Full moon in June weekend. It wont get much better for brim or bass this year.
Testing that theory today- Weds was great- hosting a turkey killer today so at least we'll have some good conversation.
Good Luck if you are playing.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Full moon in June weekend. It wont get much better for brim or bass this year.
Testing that theory today- Weds was great- hosting a turkey killer today so at least we'll have some good conversation.
Good Luck if you are playing.
May the force be with you. Hope it is better than it was for me yesterday.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
May the force be with you. Hope it is better than it was for me yesterday.
hard crawfish bite used a zillion UVSCs
So easy that he had one jump over my line- while he untangled it I was soaking a shad stunna- when I took up the slack I had a seven lber.
Mid day underfoot moon action.
caught one with the bloodiest tail I have ever seen I guess she was bedding- The blood dripped all over the boat.
We killed almost as many turkeys as we caught bass. :)
Great Day.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
hard crawfish bite used a zillion UVSCs
So easy that he had one jump over my line- while he untangled it I was soaking a shad stunna- when I took up the slack I had a seven lber.
Mid day underfoot moon action.
caught one with the bloodiest tail I have ever seen I guess she was bedding- The blood dripped all over the boat.
We killed almost as many turkeys as we caught bass. :)
Great Day.
Sounds like what I was fantasizing about yesterday while I was getting my butt handed to me by the fish :ROFLMAO:

timber

Twelve Pointer
Went to the Chowan yesterday caught a few. Wasn’t a steady bite so had do some searching to find them. Mostly bluegill and red throats. Wind was blowing in the big part of the river so went up a smaller river that dumps into the Chowan. There is a creek up there that makes a horse shoe in the river can usually get out of the wind and always holds some fish. Somebody else had same idea so had change that plan.

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Yesterday morning I went in search of some post-spawn crappie. Figured they'd be ripe for the picking with crakbaits. The Crappie never got that memo. I paddled my kayak for just under 6 hours, pulling crankbaits (~10 miles) and snagged one 4' gar, caught 5 crappie (all< 11"), and nothing else. I marked plenty of fish on the depthfinder, they just didn't want to play along. They usually crush shad colored lures this time of year...no such thing. I tried 7-8 colors, then switched to a flasy pink #5 Flicker Shad and started getting bit immediately. Lots were short strikes and bumps on the line though. Once the clouds burned off, the bite shut down totally and completely.

Heard one turkey gobble and saw another one fly across the river about 15' over the water.

Jim