2022 Roanoke River striper season set

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
We get a whopping 4 days this year with 1 fish per person. 1 weekend (April 23-24) and the following Thursday and Friday. Makes it worth all the $$$ we spend huh? :rolleyes:

• Angry
Reactions: DRS
What was the season like last year? I only made the shad run and it was terrible because of tremendous water releases when I arrived.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
More rockfish in the sounds and rivers right now than there has been in recent years but NCWRC and NCDMF says there aren’t any. Manns Harbor to Roanoke River and everywhere in between doesn’t take much to get on a school.

Won’t be long they are going to put a moratorium on them in the Roanoke and Albemarle management areas just like they did in the other management areas.

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
More rockfish in the sounds and rivers right now than there has been in recent years but NCWRC and NCDMF says there aren’t any. Manns Harbor to Roanoke River and everywhere in between doesn’t take much to get on a school.

Won’t be long they are going to put a moratorium on them in the Roanoke and Albemarle management areas just like they did in the other management areas.
I have been thinking the same thing. Next year will probably be 0 fish allowed. Last season 2 of us on 1 boat had numerous afternoons of 100 plus fish on artificial between Hamilton and Williamston. And we were only fishing 3 hours or less each time.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
We get a whopping 4 days this year with 1 fish per person. 1 weekend (April 23-24) and the following Thursday and Friday. Makes it worth all the $$$ we spend huh? :rolleyes:

Forgive my ignorance…..I’ve never fished the famous Roanoke for stripers but does this mean that is the only days that striper can even be targeted? Or can they be fished for catch and release only the whole spring with the exception of these dates?

beagleman26

Four Pointer
Forgive my ignorance…..I’ve never fished the famous Roanoke for stripers but does this mean that is the only days that striper can even be targeted? Or can they be fished for catch and release only the whole spring with the exception of these dates
You can target them anytime. Can only keep them on those dates.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
You can target them anytime. Can only keep them on those dates.

That’s what I figured but wanted to make sure that nothing had changed with that. I thought it would be kind of extreme to prevent fishing for them but I’m not expert on the area or striper fishing during the spring run.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
You can thank the bait fishermen with J hooks. Trust me when I say that WRC Wardens document every dead fish they see and use a multiplier to arrive at the mortality count. THAT's what has resulted in the reduced creel limits AND the days allowed. Notice NO, NaDa, ZERO change to fishing with artificial?? Of course the creel limit is the same for either method so there goes that theory.
I can tell you one thing to be cautious of this year, if that barb isn't mashed to the Wardens liking the citations will fly!! If it catches on a piece of women's nylon stocking or leaves a scratch on his fingernail your toast....

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
You can thank the bait fishermen with J hooks. Trust me when I say that WRC Wardens document every dead fish they see and use a multiplier to arrive at the mortality count. THAT's what has resulted in the reduced creel limits AND the days allowed. Notice NO, NaDa, ZERO change to fishing with artificial?? Of course the creel limit is the same for either method so there goes that theory.
I can tell you one thing to be cautious of this year, if that barb isn't mashed to the Wardens liking the citations will fly!! If it catches on a piece of women's nylon stocking or leaves a scratch on his fingernail your toast....
You can thank light tackle fishermen for a lot of that crap too. Same thing with west side sound side drum fishing. Light tackle fishing is fun, but unless you’re playing for keeps, it’s of no service to the fish to fight them to the bitter end.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Recon I'll just have to stock some more bait fish and hybrids in my pond. I don't think I'll be fishing in the daytime those days. Might try to catch some at the lake. I told the NCWRC that they ruined my fishing and my hunting. I meant it too! They want to help the striped bass but still allow fishing for them, ought to close the spawning grounds from RR to Scotland Neck for even catch and release.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns

Fished the Tar for them for years. Some years they had good spawns, some not so good. Several years after a good spawn we would see more fish. The water levels and flow make a huge difference. The flow had been low for most of the last 10 years. Now they have finally realized they can have a good spawn and fish return. Something
we have seen a few times over the last 30 years. They shut the season down for a creel. It won't make a difference if the flows are low though.

Aaron871

Four Pointer
Are “barbless hooks” a requirement?
Excuse my ignorance, where do I find this info?

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Are “barbless hooks” a requirement?
Excuse my ignorance, where do I find this
This is the proclamation for the striped bass season on the Roanoke River (RR).

Attachments

• 2022-RRMA-SB-Proclamaton_SignedCNI02142022.pdf
    409.6 KB · Views: 25

Going Coastal

Eight Pointer
Cat fish taste good 😊
Normally I would agree, but I kept a 28" catfish I caught while striper fishing at Weldon.
After I cooked it and took I bite, had to spit it out. Tastes of heavy metal. You know the taste you get while cleaning battery terminal corrosion. Yuck.😝
I won't keep another catfish from there.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
same for lm bass fishing?

Get with it Dick, If your fishing in that body of water (even for dead bodies) the single/barbless is in effect and (trust me) you ain't gonna convince the Green Man that your only fishing for LM bass..... Your welcome to try it but let us know how it works out for ya......

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Get with it Dick, If your fishing in that body of water (even for dead bodies) the single/barbless is in effect and (trust me) you ain't gonna convince the Green Man that your only fishing for LM bass..... Your welcome to try it but let us know how it works out for ya......
sheesh, just asking..lol

they tried similar stuff up north and that was a big issue. barbless for strioer but not other species.

striper will eat anything, strippers too!

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
same for lm bass fishing?
yes, that is why we dont bass fish the Roanoke until July first.....then the gloves are off......you still need to fish with imho 17lb mono as there are stripers there year round and we catch a lot bass fishing. if we catch a striper in the summer and usually we catch from 5-20 while bass fishing we have to get em in quick and throw them head first right back in or they are floaters.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Not surprised at all. If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet I'd not be more surprised

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
The DMF recommendations for the striped bass FMP include barbless non-offset circle hooks in the whole Roanoke River Management Area in May and June for bait fishing. They are voting on it at the next MFC meeting. Also 18-22” slot in Roanoke Management Area and 18-25” slot in Albemarle Management Area. Some other stuff as well.

Reactions: DRS

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
The entire river is opened to harvest for those 4 days

1) Effective 12:00 AM on Saturday, April 23, 2022, through 11:59 PM on Sunday, April 24, 2022, the suspension for harvesting striped bass by hook-and-line shall be rescinded, allowing harvest in the entire Roanoke River Management Area. 2) Effective 12:00 AM on Thursday, April 28, 2022, through 11:59 PM on Friday, April 29, 2022, the suspension for harvesting striped bass by hook-and-line shall be rescinded, allowing harvest in the entire Roanoke River Management Area.

Okay......