2022 Fresh Water Catch Thread

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
C3210425-7FFC-42F1-81C7-841BFA83A18B.jpeg

Got out this afternoon…..weather was nice….nice breeze……water was pretty muddy due to the never ending floods but fishable……caught a 3 pounder on my 3rd cast then had a 4 pounder short line me on a top water on the next cast and then the flood came. Got to fish 10 minutes and had to head for the hill. 4th straight trip ruined by the floods. Maybe it will dry out again one more time before I die.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
That’s awesome bro. As time has progressed, little man has been looking at the fish more and more instead of the camera. Good stuff

He is all about the fish. Every time I catch one and he is standing on the side of the boat looking over with his hands reached out and he loves petting and holding them. I sure hope he continues to show enthusiasm towards it.

JWH15

Six Pointer

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
View attachment 96498View attachment 96497View attachment 96496View attachment 96495

Knocked some heads this afternoon with the jig. Idk why but for some reason the jig has been the ticket lately which is odd for me this time of year. Put 22 in the boat and 11 of those were 4 pounders. Only caught 2 fish under 2 lbs. pretty good afternoon.

Jigs are one of my favorite bass baits. Especially on rocky bottoms. Something about feeling every little pebble keeps me focused.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Why does Bill Dance keep letting you fish his ponds? :ROFLMAO:

HAHA this is all public water. I rarely fish anything private.

Jigs are one of my favorite bass baits. Especially on rocky bottoms. Something about feeling every little pebble keeps me focused.
I love a jig too, I just don't normally see fish get fixated on it this time of the year. I usually have a shakey head or some worm presentation glued in my hand this time of year. But I'm fine with whatever they want to eat.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
HAHA this is all public water. I rarely fish anything private.

I love a jig too, I just don't normally see fish get fixated on it this time of the year. I usually have a shakey head or some worm presentation glued in my hand this time of year. But I'm fine with whatever they want to eat.

I fished a shaky head through several schools of bass a few weeks ago and got 2-3 bites, 1 hookup. Not sure if it was timing or what, but it was odd.

I’m going to teach the boy about fiddler crabs and fishing pilings this weekend. I caught a ton of fish that way as a kid.

He has to learn to catch fiddlers the hard way first. Then I’ll teach him the easy way.

Last edited:

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
I fished a shaky head through several schools of bass a few weeks ago and got 2-3 bites, 1 hookup. Not sure if it was timing or what, but it was odd.

I’m going to teach the boy about fiddler crabs and fishing pilings this weekend. I caught a ton of fish that way as a kid.

He has to learn to catch fiddlers the hard way first. Then I’ll teach him the easy way.

Nothing has been normal throughout this entire year from late winter til now. I'm hoping the rain will stop and stay gone for what's left of summer and the water temps will get up into the 90s in the places I like to fish. Even yesterday after a few 90 degree days the temp was only 83-84 degrees. I want the water to be boiling.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
We are going to watch him grow up on this thread ,good stuff.
Sure are. He will be in the tin boat with on Monday and tuesday this coming week. Expect some pictures. On tuesday when I took him we caught a bunch and he was trying to pick them up by the lip like dad. Good stuff. Hopefully he will be reeling them in by himself by the time he turns 2 or before. Just turned 1 last saturday.

Last edited:

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My son and I floated over 20 miles of New River Gorge in 2 days, and landed over 100 smallmouth. It had been awhile since I got up to that part of the country, which is only a few hours in the car away. I had forgotten how unique and beautiful that place was...

IMG_1636.JPG IMG_1624.JPG

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
@Duckmauler dhc -I think you may have been off by a day or so- Today was great (bass) with the full moon- cloudy conditions resulting in a nice midday bite.
Crazy shallow and eager.
Since turkey season ended every full moon period for us has been lights out.
Most reliable marker in the sport. imo.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
@Duckmauler dhc -I think you may have been off by a day or so- Today was great (bass) with the full moon- cloudy conditions resulting in a nice midday bite.
Crazy shallow and eager.
Since turkey season ended every full moon period for us has been lights out.
Most reliable marker in the sport. imo.

I was on the water today from 8-530…..the best bite for me was from 3-430 when the clouds rolled in. It was cloudy and breezy this morning for a short time so I went and fished a grassy lake thinking that I would do really well on a frog or some type of topwater. Fished 3 hours with 1 bite. I caught 10 between 3-430 when the weather changed. They called for it to be cloudy and cooler all day with possible rain but it got hot and sunny pretty quick and the clouds only lasted for that 1 hour period. All the ones I caught were right on the bank. The full moon periods have been good with this being the worst for me since mid may.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Was down on the pamlico river last night to grill some fish and hang out. Set some rods out and caught one tiny croaker and one small red. Good wind and cool. Water was choppy and dirty. Some boat races going on up river and a few flew down our way. Moon came up huge and orange. One of the nicest evenings all year temp wise.

Going Coastal

Eight Pointer
Was down on the pamlico river last night to grill some fish and hang out. Set some rods out and caught one tiny croaker and one small red. Good wind and cool. Water was choppy and dirty. Some boat races going on up river and a few flew down our way. Moon came up huge and orange. One of the nicest evenings all year temp wise.
That ole moon was big and orange when it came up. Beautiful!