2021 Turkey Hatch

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
Really hope last week's rain and cold didn't kill many.looks.like the heat wave coming this week is going to be a lifesaver for the ones that have hatched and goi g to in the next week or so.We really need a super hatch in the piedmont as much as anything,last year was as bad as ever.And as many was killed they need all the help they can get.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I hope so. I only saw 6 hens this season.
I saw more toms and jakes than that.
but I only hunted 5 days.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
the 14 day forecast i see is basically perfect hatch conditions in what is supposed to be prime central NC time.
You would think the coastal region is already home free. Raleigh reporting driest spring in history.
Record hatch reporting , anyone? :)
I sure hope next years jakes dont "gobble like a man" and get executed by excited grown ups.

Last edited:

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
My lone hen from the year was seen in the hay field yesterday morning picking seeds. Have only seen her a couple of times. My neighbor reported hearing a gobble yesterday morning as well. First one I have even heard of this year. "If" that hen has a nest I hope it isn't in the hay field. It will probably be cut this week.

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
My lone hen from the year was seen in the hay field yesterday morning picking seeds. Have only seen her a couple of times. My neighbor reported hearing a gobble yesterday morning as well. First one I have even heard of this year. "If" that hen has a nest I hope it isn't in the hay field. It will probably be cut this week.
Unfortunately the conditions are good for hay cutting this week.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
,Color me confused. At the time, it seemed that the hens around the home place went to set early this year and I still believe they did. But if that was the case, there must have been a lot of nest failures. I just observed a strutter with 3 hens a few minutes ago. Watched them for a good while until it was almost time for fly up. I assume this is round two for those hens and hope it turns out better than round one.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Not at all unusual for strutter to have hens through May where I hunt actually it would be unusual to not see one. Seen plenty 1st Sat June when delayed harvest opens. I've seen a pile hens last 2 years one I killed opening day had 7 or 8 which is very unusual in Pisgah usually 3 or 4. Zero Jake's seen or heard which follows very low harvest numbers expect next year be tough

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
,Color me confused. At the time, it seemed that the hens around the home place went to set early this year and I still believe they did. But if that was the case, there must have been a lot of nest failures. I just observed a strutter with 3 hens a few minutes ago. Watched them for a good while until it was almost time for fly up. I assume this is round two for those hens and hope it turns out better than round one.
Perhaps that banner hatch of 2019 has us with stellar hen numbers as well as gobblers.
They were with hens just fine last weekend in VA. Just like opening week. Gobble on roost shut up when they and the hens flew down.
I am no bio but I dont think for an early round two they need the gobbler? They are good for 56 days after initial fertilization.
So hopefully those were round oners. :)

this article does predict gloom for really late renests.

DCD77

Four Pointer
Working from home today. Looked out the back window and saw an awfully cautious hen. Went upstairs with the binoculars and saw the ground moving around her. Couldn’t tell how many due to the weeds being about 6” tall. Appeared to be at least 5-6. Maybe (hopefully) more. Wake County

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
I grew up on a farm and I know that farmers have to do what they have to do and do it around weather conditions. Having said that, I expect there have been a few thousand eggs destroyed in Caswell this week. Almost every hay field has been mowed.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Looks like we got lucky with the mowing. Everything is on the ground where I would suspect a nest to be and I do not see any sign of one being hit. Did disturb a pair of geese with one little one though. Might have been more that did not make it.

grim reaper

Ten Pointer

Thought about talking to the turkey hunters in my area and seeing about pitching in to get a cpl of these for the farmers, won't hurt anything just like killing possums and coons