2021 NC Trapping Convention, Sept. 24 & 25

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The NC Trapper's Association annual convention is scheduled for Sept. 24 & 25 at the Johnson County Livestock Arena in Smithfield. The address is 520 County Home Rd, Smithfield, NC 25577. This event is not just for trappers and is open to the public with a $5 admission for adults which is good for both days.

The following are links to the schedule/agenda plus the vendor list and bios of the Demo Presenters:

Agenda & Schedule

Vendors

Demo Presenters

There will be vendors from several states offering trapping supplies, baits and lures and a variety of other items. In addition to the trapping demonstrations, we have an auction sale of donated items after lunch on Friday and that includes items that are not trapping related. We put a whole pig on the grill early Friday morning and that becomes the main course of our Friday evening Feed. We also fry up a bunch of catfish and have lots of sides to go with the pork and fish. Everyone is welcome to join in the food and fellowship and we put a donation bucket at the end of the serving table. Those who have partaken will assure you that the Feed is worth the price of admission.

Saturday is more demos as well as contests for youth and adults. One of the demos on Saturday is tailored for the kids.

Any of you that have attended are welcome to share your experience and I hope to see some of my NCHuntandFish friends there.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
i'll be the first to say that it is a fun time, especially on Friday with the auction and feed. My wife and I have attended for several years and always have a great time and come home with treasures, most of which taste really good. I don't trap but I love this event.

QBD........ I don't know if my breathing will let be be there this year or not. PM me your mailing address and I"ll get you something out for the raffle.

Tom cat

Spike
I wouldn't miss it. I've been attending since 2016 and it's been a blast !!
And I'll be the first to say the Friday night feed is worth my 4 hour drive and cost of admission as well, believe me when I say this is truly a great and family oriented time. Do not miss it if you can get there..

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Vendor move in is today and then the real fun starts tomorrow.

Weather is looking Great with sunshine and lows in the 50s and highs in the low 70s.

Come on out and join us. For those that remember the benefit auction for my nephew, we have another Wingbone Call and Turtle Shell Call crafted by our on Lasttombstone on the auction tomorrow. And who does not like whole hog BBQ and fried catfish and all the with its that goes off around 6:30 tomorrow evening.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Well, time for a wrap up and move on to next year......

The NC convention had it's ups and downs. Last minute cancellations by vendors and less than hoped for attendance but the folks that were there sure seemed to be enjoying themselves. We had great weather and we know how to eat good when we get together. It was good to see folks I missed seeing last year. Our auction was one of the most productive we have ever had. Lasttombstone's donated Wingbone call and Turtle Shell Call sold well on the auction as did the hooped beaver pelt from my thread in the Do It Yourself forum. Sorry that Lee was unable to attend this year.

The pig turned out great as always along with the fried catfish. The 10 lbs of onions, 20 lbs of squash and 10 lbs of portabella mushrooms that I cooked on my flattop were all gone before I got to them but I was bringing up the tail of the line. I had upped the quantity this year so I reckon I will have to increase it again next year. The short nights and concrete floors were tough on the old man and my butt was dragging by the end of the weekend.

But I would be less than honest if I did not say the highlight of this year's convention for me was when our president announced that I was the 2021 inductee into the NC Trappers Hall of Fame. What a humbling experience! It sure made me cloud up and it was hard to get a few words squeaked out. I sure did not see that coming!

Now is the time to go ahead and ad the convention date for 2022 to your calendar. September 23 & 24, 2022 in Smithfield. That with be the 50th Annual Convention and we are working on some things to make it special and memorable.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Good to hear the convention was successful regardless of the difficulties. And congratulations on the well deserved recognition. I know that you are a great trapper but I'm sure the recognition was for all the hard work you do for the association. Also glad they didn't wait and give it to your postumously.