2021 Lever Action Challenge

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I still want to one of these days get my brother's Winchester 1886 .33WCF back to being able to be used to hunt. I have not seen it in years. I don't know if it is ready to shoot or if it needs some attention from a gun smith. He just keeps it in his safe. My guess is that it was built sometime in the 1920s because it was part of the collection of guns that came from my great uncle including my 1920 Winchester .30WCF and 1923 Winchester Model 12 12 gauge.

ctsnow

Six Pointer
Mistook a spike for a big doe tonight but the 41 magnum dropped him. Not a special deer, but it was a special memory using my late father in laws gun. He’s the one that took me hunting for the first time when I was 15 years old. Using hand loads that he put together at least 15 years ago.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 24

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
It is a 357 mag that has taken many deer. He past away 1.5 years ago and left me several of his firearms. We had spent many hours shooting and hunting over the last 25 years. It feels good to carry it afield and reflect of time past in the woods with him.
Sorry for your Loss but that is great he thought to give you a few rifles. My 336 35 rem( see post above) was my buddy Otto's and he passed and it was willed to me. I told myself the next deer I killed would be with his rifle and it worked out(finally) . I thought I was cursed with it . His wife likes deer steak so I am going to take her some when I get it back..

You can see Otto in this article but he has his 30-06 with him on this hunt.

bowtoot

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Sorry for your Loss but that is great he thought to give you a few rifles. My 336 35 rem( see post above) was my buddy Otto's and he passed and it was willed to me. I told myself the next deer I killed would be with his rifle and it worked out(finally) . I thought I was cursed with it . His wife likes deer steak so I am going to take her some when I get it back..

You can see Otto in this article but he has his 30-06 with him on this hunt.
Thanks for sharing. As we travel the level of time, the memories we make with others that enjoy our passions are priceless.

dstubbsunc

Eight Pointer
How do you like it? Seems everything you read online talks about the trigger not being great on them.
It was the first rifle I ever had, my dad got it for my brother and I when we were around 15. The trigger was crisp but pretty heavy. I havn't shot it in probably 30 years or so. I did get it out and clean in up and refinished the stock maybe 1o years ago and I just recently gave it back to my brother and told him and his son to use it!

Winchester 73'

Six Pointer
Mistook a spike for a big doe tonight but the 41 magnum dropped him. Not a special deer, but it was a special memory using my late father in laws gun. He’s the one that took me hunting for the first time when I was 15 years old. Using hand loads that he put together at least 15 years ago.

Here is a Hornady 240gr SWC HP used in a 44-40 load with the Marlin 1894CB.

The bullet penetrated the shoulder, turned 90 degrees (from a broadside shot) and traveled down the spinal cord to lodge in the hind quarters....travailing about 24"...obliterating everything in it's path. A bit over-kill at only 65 yards. Guy never took a step, which can be seen by falling in the middle of the corn pile.

IMG_2149.JPG
24312415_831132897067295_7226440102932078289_n.jpgImg_2423.jpg143.JPG

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Them thangs is quite expensive nowadays based on what I'm seeing on Gunbroker. Yours is a beautiful rifle.
Thanks, I had 3 others, but they were just spares sitting in the safe, so sold them in last few years. Was hard for them to get any playing time off the bench, with "Mr. Deadly" never letting me down.

Reactions: DRS

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
It should almost be an open sights challenge. If you put on a scope, is a level action all that much different than a bolt action when it comes to being able to shoot a deer?
You should start a thread discussing that question. Not that there’s anything wrong with talking about it here either. Just made me think there’d prob be a good amount of opinions, comments, etc. Itd be a good one. Then we can talk about mismatched camo!

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I think I get better shots with the mismatched camo. The deer stop and look at me strangely, giving me a little more time to line up the shot. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :what:
Lmao glad to hear it. Makes me feel better about my mossy oak/real tree/ off brand trifecta I’ve got on right now

Winchester 73'

Six Pointer
You should start a thread discussing that question. Not that there’s anything wrong with talking about it here either. Just made me think there’d prob be a good amount of opinions, comments, etc. Itd be a good one. Then we can talk about mismatched camo!
How old are you? Just curious? I am older and my eye sight is going bad so I use a scope.
If you want a real challenge, I can add a link for you to join....I think

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
How old are you? Just curious? I am older and my eye sight is going bad so I use a scope.
If you want a real challenge, I can add a link for you to join....I think

yup... that's why when I tote my open sighted guns I quit hunting about 15 minutes after sunset,,, that's about when the black front site isn't "seeable" by my eye,,,, (and yes, I know the proper english word is "visible" but I like seeable for now,,,,,,,thanks)

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
It should almost be an open sights challenge. If you put on a scope, is a lever action all that much different than a bolt action when it comes to being able to shoot a deer?
I like the idea of an open sight challenge. My 336 has had open sights and scopes on it and now it has a peep and I haven't hunted with it in a while but I am probably good until just after sunset. My corrected vision will let me see the animal but the front sight is probably iffy. When it did have a scope it had one from the same era as the gun. I always like seeing those 336s with those Weaver k2.5 scopes. I have a '75 Rem 760 that has a Redfield tracker from the same time frame.

Winchester 73'

Six Pointer
Speaking of open sights vs iron sights vs lever action vs bolt action.....

..lets see some cartridge vs cartridge action?

While the 38-40/44-40/45-70 have a large 116" to 140" trajectory out to 300 yards, the .243 has nearly zero while the .308 has about 10". The 30-30 has about a 30" trajectory.

On top of the trajectory, now we have weather/atmospheric issues, bullet stability and accuracy.

Now there is an open sight leveraction challenge right there!!!

But then again, if we are only shooting at 25 to 50 yards (in the thickets)....never mind!!!

Hats off to those open sight 45-70 shooters!

Last edited: