2021 Lever Action Challenge

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
My 35 Rem finally spoke. harvested a small one for the freezer. Bout didnt shoot but needed the meat, shot with 1 minute legal light left. gonna be some good eating. I usually dont like shooting small ones but made the exception this time.

Attachments

• IMG_20211126_151829301_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211126_151829301_HDR.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20211126_192840957_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211126_192840957_HDR.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 23

sears303

Spike
I took my first ever deer yesterday with my Marlin 30-30. It was my first day of deer hunting in my life. I am 36 and did not grow up hunting. I am self taught and am overly excited and happy with the doe I shot at 8:25 yesterday morning. I have scouted the area over the last couple months, as well as back in the spring. I was hunting for meat, not antlers. I gutted her, pulled her 1/4 mile down the mountain and processed her at home. Just finished grinding and vacuum sealing everything right now. So happy to get a deer in the county I reside, on public land on my first hunt. It is not lost on me how lucky I truly am. Paired with the food we grow on our property, getting to the lifestyle I aim to live is truly an amazing achievement.

I hope you all are having a positive and memorable season!

Thutty-thutty

Eight Pointer
I took my first ever deer yesterday with my Marlin 30-30. It was my first day of deer hunting in my life. I am 36 and did not grow up hunting. I am self taught and am overly excited and happy with the doe I shot at 8:25 yesterday morning. I have scouted the area over the last couple months, as well as back in the spring. I was hunting for meat, not antlers. I gutted her, pulled her 1/4 mile down the mountain and processed her at home. Just finished grinding and vacuum sealing everything right now. So happy to get a deer in the county I reside, on public land on my first hunt. It is not lost on me how lucky I truly am. Paired with the food we grow on our property, getting to the lifestyle I aim to live is truly an amazing achievement.

Good job & welcome to not only the forum but a way of life

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns

Congrats on your first deer ! You will never, ever forget that one !
Welcome to the forum !

DRS

Old Mossy Horns

Congrats! On your first deer, on your first hunt at that! Your hard work paid off.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator

Dude…way to go! Enjoy!

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
Did I make the deadline with a Sunday after Thanksgiving hunt? I’ve been hunting with the .30-30 all year, but I’m riding the wire with the harvest timeline on this one for Thanksgiving week parameters?

EC10420E-F0A8-4E24-BCE1-F7A811A991F0.jpeg

06D1A1E3-8F20-4AC8-976B-DD166121AEF1.jpeg

9BB06E61-65A0-41FA-B879-28493D1A2CD3.jpeg

Last edited:

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Let the Winchester 3030 eat this evening
View attachment 79669

I didn't try to type this on the phone Friday:
So here it goes

11/26/48 - The man I called dad was born. Then I came along. Everywhere he went, I went. We deer hunted, rabbit hunted, and I wanted to coon hunt, so we did that. Then something stupid happened, that's another story for another day. We didn't speak a lot for about 3 years. But I stopped by where he was hunting on Jan 1, 2011. He was using this rifle and the dogs ran a couple of does by and he shot at them. I kind of figured something wasn't right because he said his Savage 99 was too heavy. Anyway, in March he found he was eat up with cancer and and we lost him in July 2011.

on 11/26/15 I tried to kill one with his Savage but as usual I got in a hurry and didn't make a good shot. My friend and I couldn't find him and I ended up hitting my hand with his manchette and had 4 stitches to close it up. Last year I hunted more with the 99 but missed a good buck with it and then I found out the scope was off this year when we sighted everything in. So I said screw it. Let the boys do the shooting.

When I started this thread, I had made up my mind that Friday the 26th was going to be the day. Well Thursday morning, my youngest and I let a big buck get away and that changed things around. So Friday morning I find my self sitting in the stand again with the bolt action with my oldest son. I told him later that I had something I wanted to do and he needed go back to where the big buck was. I took a pop up chair and the Winchester 30-30 and walked behind the house. I got to within 50 yards of the corn pile and sat up in some reeds. And I waited. It was nice, peaceful after the neighbors quit target practice. Then I looked up and seen a deer looking at me. She eased on out and lowered her head. I was able to get the rifle up and lined up the sights and dropped the hammer. She fell like a bag of sugar off the shelf. Then I could see here moving her head so I walked on down the there to finish her off. High front shoulder shot. The rest is history.

Thank you for letting me ramble.

That's my lever action challenge completed or at least I think.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It is a 357 mag that has taken many deer. He past away 1.5 years ago and left me several of his firearms. We had spent many hours shooting and hunting over the last 25 years. It feels good to carry it afield and reflect of time past in the woods with him.
An under rated very good deer woods caliber. Even better that yours has special history. I have a standing order with my LGS for a new Ruger built Marlin 357 mag once they start shipping.

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
An under rated very good deer woods caliber. Even better that yours has special history. I have a standing order with my LGS for a new Ruger built Marlin 357 mag once they start shipping.
I want one too! Can’t wait!

Fwiw kudos to you guys that shoot real rings on your levers and not the see through- self fulfilling prophecy type. :stir:

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I want one too! Can’t wait!

Fwiw kudos to you guys that shoot real rings on your levers and not the see through- self fulfilling prophecy type. :stir:
I despise see thru rings. Already have the set up picked out. A Leupold VX Freedom 1.5-5x20 in Weaver Grand Slam rings.

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
I despise see thru rings. Already have the set up picked out. A Leupold VX Freedom 1.5-5x20 in Weaver Grand Slam rings.
Nice! I’m not sure if I’ll put anything on it at all. My thoughts are a red dot or ghost rings. I’m very fond of ghost rings. Plus I don’t forget to turn em on.