2021 Lever Action Challenge

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Well since Thanksgiving week is next week, Who's going to use the old trusty lever action instead of the fancy bolt guns?

Post pics and what not in here also.

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
I will run a mixed bag next week, but I can guarantee my son will be using a 336, because he's never given it back to me, and hasn't bought his own gun after 15 years...

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
Hunted last Saturday afternoon with the Marlin 336 octagon barrel. Nothing to report but I will use it some this coming week.

Ex Military

Eight Pointer
The .45/70 is a very good deer cartridge.

There is no such thing as “overkill”
That's what i use to and i love my rifle, but the only grain bullet i can find does a number on a deer, especially being that i use open sights and the deer has to be within 60yrs or so

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I hunted with a 45/70 for many years, hence my name. I loaded 300 gr Remington hp's at 2100 fps. They thumped hard on both ends and no tracking was required. Due to a neck injury and that I have tons of 44 Mag ammo and components I sold it and bought a 44 Magnum. I'll have the new Ruger built Marlin 1894 in 44 Mag when they are released. I told my LGS to order me one as soon as he sees them listed.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
IMG_20211107_092842553.jpg
In reference to the above post, I'm on the left. Public land. Camera/phone died while trying to take a pick of the gun and buck. I was couple miles in. Quartered and packed out. Pack must have weighed 100+ lbs, with my gear and deer. When my friends helped me get the pack off, I almost fell down. It felt like I was walking on air. 😮 Took me a few minutes to be able to walk right again. Guess the old brain was compensating for the weight.

Last edited: