2021 Elk Cow Hunt in Wyoming

I have been planning an Elk Cow hunt in western Wyoming this coming October. It is a guided horseback wilderness hunt, 4 days total with 3 days of actual hunting. I wanted to make sure that it would be a challenging mountain hunt, and not just a Toyota sneak. The guy assures me that this is the case. The price is $2400, and the tag is $300. Tags have to be applied for prior to the end of January for the drawing. I'd be interested in seeing if anyone from here would be interested in driving out together and sharing a hunt. If so, we would need to apply for tags and put a deposit down post-haste. PM me if you would like to discuss details.

Dan Apple

Old Mossy Horns
We always DIY.... that sounds like a lot for a cow hunt, but wilderness requires a guide and the word horse increases the price of everything.
hopefully, I’ll be headed to AZ with a bull tag this year, if not we will be headed back to Wyoming but for muleys in region R if we draw.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’m going to CO (draw or not). If I draw, it’ll be an either sex tag. If I don’t draw, I’ll go and try to learn something.

I’m not sure I’d shoot a cow, but time will tell.

We always DIY.... that sounds like a lot for a cow hunt, but wilderness requires a guide and the word horse increases the price of everything.
hopefully, I’ll be headed to AZ with a bull tag this year, if not we will be headed back to Wyoming but for muleys in region R if we draw.

I would really like to DIY, but without knowing an area or having someone who does, it is a pretty daunting task.

Dan Apple

Old Mossy Horns
I would really like to DIY, but without knowing an area or having someone who does, it is a pretty daunting task.

It is to a degree,,,, ONx is a tremendous tool... it's not as hard as it used to be... I remember ordering BLM maps and spreading them out over the kitchen table. Pick a species, apply for the tag, read the regs and just go for it. The WORST thing that happens is that you have a great vacation in a great environment with breath taking views

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
$2400 is pretty pricey for a cow elk hunt. You can get cow hunts in Colorado for $1200-1500, guided.
You could do a DIY cow hunt for less than a a grand, and probably have a pretty high chance of killing one, especially if you are rifle hunting.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I’ve got points in Wyoming for elk, mule deer and antelope but it’ll probably be next year before I get out there (waiting for my brother to finish college). I can’t decide between mulies or cow elk for the first trip, but we’re planning to DIY it.

hog&deerhunter

Ten Pointer
$2400 is pretty pricey for a cow elk hunt. You can get cow hunts in Colorado for $1200-1500, guided.
You could do a DIY cow hunt for less than a a grand, and probably have a pretty high chance of killing one, especially if you are rifle hunting.

Where? Link?

I think 2400 for a guided back country hunt is OK, but if you have a link for a 1200-1500 guided hunt with provisions I would love to see it.

Guided Pronghorn hunts with lodging are 2400ish.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Where? Link?

I think 2400 for a guided back country hunt is OK, but if you have a link for a 1200-1500 guided hunt with provisions I would love to see it.

Guided Pronghorn hunts with lodging are 2400ish.
A quick google search found me a fully guided 4 day cow hunt with meals and lodging for $1800. Couple other links found a non guided private land cow only hunt with lodging provided for $1200.
If you want to whack a cow elk, no way I am paying a guide. Some of those late season tags for cows have 80% success rates even in areas that have little private land.
But to each his own. If the OP is looking for a backcountry experience then he’s gonna have to pay to play.