2020 Western Boondoggle Part Two - Wyoming Deer

jip40

Four Pointer
My luck is they pop out of a small pocket 50 yds from your truck at the end of the day when you least expect it

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Setup hoping to catch the big one we’ve been seeing coming back to public if he is indeed bedding out here and not in the bottom below those fields. Currently watching a big herd of antelope With multiple big bucks in it. Pretty sure one is pushing 80”, he is BIG. If only I had 6-8 antelope points....

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Snow moved in around 7:30, really cut visibility. Also had two people try to cut us off between the private and where we were, so we went back to this area I had been glassing towards and it looks great in there but couldn’t see decently more than maybe 400 yards. Could tell my buddy wasn’t going to be the one to stick it out back in there so headed back to the truck to regroup. Plan to go to a walk-in area and setup the rest of the evening trying to catch something coming to some ag. Game warden told me a 130” whitetail is possible and probably top end for public but that there are bigger around. I’ll take a 120-130” all day!

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
No dice yesterday evening besides seeing lots of pronghorn and three whitetails that barely clipped the public before going back into private. Setup north of camp now hoping to catch deer coming from the ag fields across the road up into these hills or big basins, only about .5 mile from the fields but will push further back if we don’t see anything by 9. Had two mulie does in the road right before we parked that went back into the field so we shall see. Sunrise is just now taking place, it’s a good one.
1359A4DE-5A0F-49A6-B3DA-FEE4B09EF290.jpeg

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
I feel like I must be an antelope attractor, we probably saw 50-75 this morning. Only deer seen were on private, I’ll figure them out eventually. Just keep checking off areas until I do. Headed to camp for lunch after our 2-3 mile total loop looking into coulees and just trying to turn one up that way instead of glassing.

Dan Apple

Old Mossy Horns
I feel like I must be an antelope attractor, we probably saw 50-75 this morning. Only deer seen were on private, I’ll figure them out eventually. Just keep checking off areas until I do. Headed to camp for lunch after our 2-3 mile total loop looking into coulees and just trying to turn one up that way instead of glassing.
..... just a thought from having hunted Wyoming a dozen times or so..,,,, If you’re all up in antelope the terrain isn’t quite right for a ‘lot of muleys’. Try to find something with deeper gulches or higher/steeper hills.

They’ll overlap some, but In my experience you won’t find lots of deer around lots of ‘lopes.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
..... just a thought from having hunted Wyoming a dozen times or so..,,,, If you’re all up in antelope the terrain isn’t quite right for a ‘lot of muleys’. Try to find something with deeper gulches or higher/steeper hills.

They’ll overlap some, but In my experience you won’t find lots of deer around lots of ‘lopes.

You are right, that was my instinct but seeing deer down low d talking to the game warden had me sticking closer to private and not getting in real rough stuff. That was the plan this morning, get in rougher stuff but it didn’t work and we still ran into antelope up high. We where up in steeper hills and deep gulches. Talked to some guys after lunch that we saw going in when we were half way on our loop walking out this morning. They found some nice sheds up high in desolate terrain so that cemented the fact we need to trust my gut and get up high in real rough country.

I’ve got my buddy setup above a thick creek bottom at the entrance of some canyon country and I went up deep into it. Had picked this general area out while e-scouting and finally diving into it after a day and a half of not following my instincts. Rough but beautiful country and fun getting back in here.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns

I second this from 2 WY antelope Adventures

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
That looks like Mulie country
Oh I agree, but it’s devoid. Any other tag in the state I’d have kicked up and glassed mulies there but nada. Just low deer density in this high desert stuff. The stuff looks amazing though. Post some more pics of it tomorrow.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
That looks like Mulie country
Oh I agree, but it’s devoid. Any other tag in the state I’d have kicked up and glassed mulies there but nada. Just low deer density in this high desert stuff. The stuff looks amazing though. Post some more pics of it tomorrow.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
That country looks very similar to what we hunted in Colorado. Place was loaded with mulies. Of course, it takes 8 pts to draw a tag, so that helps.
Any other tag in this state and I would run into deer where I’ve been the last two days, I’ve turned up none and covered close to 8-10 miles between yesterday evening and this morning . I knew it’d be tough here, especially in October, but Keep seeing them on private in thick bottoms where water is so that’s where we are headed this afternoon on some walk-in.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Anyone ever shoot a deer standing on a bridge, because I about did. Hopscotched around this afternoon after breaking down camp and checking into a hotel for the night (north to other unit tomorrow). Ended up on state land about 2.5 hours before dark, walked one side of the canal running down the middle of it and the back up the other side. Jumped up a fox and flushed 3 pheasants on that jaunt. Was gonna go sit in the truck to see if anything decided to come out in the pasture way off for tomorrow morning purposes, so I walk over to the old bridge that goes over where the canal and river meet. Look across the river into another unit and on private and see a 3 pt whitetail standing where the field meets the bank. Watch him a bit thinking I finally see a deer in range (90 yards) but of course where I can’t shoot. Start up to the truck, it’s just 100 yards up the hill, and look back across to see a big bodied deer walking on the other side of the bridge from the 3 pt. Know it’s a good buck and sure enough, an 8 pt I’d be happy with if he was on my side. Watch him a bit smelling me because the wind is blowing right over to him and dang if he doesn’t Get up on the bridge and start walking towards me on it.
From there it was a rodeo trying to figure out what to do, shoot him on the bridge when he is halfway and legal or see if he makes it all the way across and jumps the barrier they have up? Where the heck do I setup to do so? While I’m getting setup just in case that happens he moves down off the bridge to the side and here comes a 6 pt running in behind him who sees me. Then they take off under the bridge and I’m watching hoping they swim across. They didn’t so I walk up to the truck and dang if 4 Whitetail does aren’t standing, then running when they see me, out in the pasture. Guess I walked right by them bedded because they came from right at the canal. So yea, finally saw deer and was so close to filling my tag.