2020 red drum pics

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Congrats. I’ve heard this spring has been one for the books from the sand. Go figure.

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
Wow I can't see my accident prone self staying afloat in a boat of that size with that bigun on the line. Nice job.

I lost two poles, a small tackle box, and a cooler of beer once launching from the surf.
Everything gets tied down now.
It happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
First Old Drum trip of the season for me. We caught 1 fish. Still a little early for where I like to fish, but great to get out there.

YfvNosn.jpg

jbaldwin

Six Pointer
Week before full moon in Sept is prime time for NUMBERS...... All the work we did with the Lupton rig and all the data from George and Anna showed that week as about the best possible

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
I know the mouth of the cape fear doesn't produce as many as the nuese and Pamlico but now that we have a place in that area, I'm planning to make it a goal to put one over the gunnels this year. Would the techniques be the same for the cape fear area, popping corks and soaking cut bait, following schools of bait?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I know the mouth of the cape fear doesn't produce as many as the nuese and Pamlico but now that we have a place in that area, I'm planning to make it a goal to put one over the gunnels this year. Would the techniques be the same for the cape fear area, popping corks and soaking cut bait, following schools of bait?

If I had access to mouth of the cape fear, drum wouldn’t be the species of choice this time of year. Bow to the king down there.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
If I had access to mouth of the cape fear, drum wouldn’t be the species of choice this time of year. Bow to the king down there.
Oh for sure, I know all about the fall king run in that area. After I get my fill on flounder, kings will be at the top of the list. Ive never caught a old big drum, just want to check that one off the list. I'm down there almost every weekend, so I'm afforded the luxury to mix up species.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Oh for sure, I know all about the fall king run in that area. After I get my fill on flounder, kings will be at the top of the list. Ive never caught a old big drum, just want to check that one off the list. I'm down there almost every weekend, so I'm afforded the luxury to mix up species.

Not those kings, silver kings. There’s a decent fishery in the Cape Fear for tarpon. I’ve got a buddy that works on them pretty good from the shore down there. I don’t know more. Just see the pics.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
Ah, gotcha. Tarpon really never enter my mind in NC, I always think of them as a Florida thing. I know there's some people that have them figured out in. Although I did see a monster jump in the waterway just past South Port one day. I thought I was crazy, but the other people on the boat seen it too.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Ah, gotcha. Tarpon really never enter my mind in NC, I always think of them as a Florida thing. I know there's some people that have them figured out in. Although I did see a monster jump in the waterway just past South Port one day. I thought I was crazy, but the other people on the boat seen it too.

The cape fear fishery is hush hush..... its there, it’s awesome but that’s all I know. I can’t ever get down there, injust always see the pics. Same guy slamming multiple fish every year with his feet on dry ground.

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
The cape fear fishery is hush hush..... its there, it’s awesome but that’s all I know. I can’t ever get down there, injust always see the pics. Same guy slamming multiple fish every year with his feet on dry ground.

Would be a blast to hook up with a bigun’ fishing from a yak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
They are down here now , there is a deep cut they travel within 25 yards of an island. Trick is to use big enough gear so they don't spool you and you don't have to chase them. Probably try my luck on evening this week

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
They are down here now , there is a deep cut they travel within 25 yards of an island. Trick is to use big enough gear so they don't spool you and you don't have to chase them. Probably try my luck on evening this week

I may or may not know more than I let on.... but plausible deniability is easiest. I don’t know enough to take time off and take time and $$ from my drum fishing habit to try and catch one lol

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
It has been more of a struggle than usual for me to find an old drum in the Neuse but finally this morning caught two 48 and 45 inches.
4e3cd3247454a5868231d35ca5582381.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Congratulations Secret Spot.
My drum trip on the nuese this past weekend was a bust.
A guide at the gas station (after the fishing was over) told me exactly why we hadnt caught chit.
He said he had been catching them shallow not on the traditional bait ball deal.
Sure wish i had ran across his wisdom on friday instead of Sunday. :)

redbow

Ten Pointer
Congratulations Secret Spot.
My drum trip on the nuese this past weekend was a bust.
A guide at the gas station (after the fishing was over) told me exactly why we hadnt caught chit.
He said he had been catching them shallow not on the traditional bait ball deal.
Sure wish i had ran across his wisdom on friday instead of Sunday. :)
How shallow?