2019 Woodcock

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Anyone going after timber doodles tomorrow? Torn between upland birds and deer while ducks are out of season.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Didn’t have a lot of time this morning, but was able to move 2 birds in the Croatan near New Bern. The first stayed too low for me to feel safe taking a shot with the dog nearby. Couldn’t relocate it. 2nd one went straight up and I missed with both barrels.

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
Went out to Raleigh Area game lands and moved one in a three hour walk, never had a good shot...

TH7

Eight Pointer
I just discovered these birds are behind the noises I occasionally here deer hunting in the evenings. Did walk right up on one the other afternoon walking through the woods late. Didn't care that I walked right up on him. Just scurried on off.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Didn't care that I walked right up on him. Just scurried on off.

The ones I kick up accidentally while deer hunting or whatnot usually just flutter off 10-20yds while the ones that the dog flushes seem to fly a lot harder.

TH7

Eight Pointer
The ones I kick up accidentally while deer hunting or whatnot usually just flutter off 10-20yds while the ones that the dog flushes seem to fly a lot harder.
Cool cool

What kind of dog do you have?

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I just discovered these birds are behind the noises I occasionally here deer hunting in the evenings. Did walk right up on one the other afternoon walking through the woods late. Didn't care that I walked right up on him. Just scurried on off.

Where is "here"?

Once you learn their calls, you will start noticing them right at last light.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Touché.

That is when I hear them ; )
My bad, I read your post too fast. Wasn’t trying to bust you on spelling, I thought you said “around here”. What part of the state are you currently hearing them?

jgav

Four Pointer
I am very interested in chasing woodcock in NC and SC (when open). If anybody is interested in having someone tag along or has ample experience please shoot me a message. I am in Charlotte and have hunting access to lots of private land in NC and SC that I think has cover that should hold them. I also have a pretty strong, although young, pointing dog that should be able to find birds (great nose and search and loves thick cover).

From what I understand I need to be walking in sandy soil in thick cover near creek bottoms, etc? Any other advice on cover to look for?

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I wouldn’t say sandy soil necessarily. Thick cover yes, especially young hardwoods, just starting to thin out underneath. Near creek bottoms is good, but don’t be afraid to venture up away from the creeks a ways.

It’s like hunting other game birds - there’s a certain type of cover they like, and once you’ve got a mental picture of it, you can key in on those areas.

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
I am very interested in chasing woodcock in NC and SC (when open). If anybody is interested in having someone tag along or has ample experience please shoot me a message. I am in Charlotte and have hunting access to lots of private land in NC and SC that I think has cover that should hold them. I also have a pretty strong, although young, pointing dog that should be able to find birds (great nose and search and loves thick cover).

From what I understand I need to be walking in sandy soil in thick cover near creek bottoms, etc? Any other advice on cover to look for?
If you want to meet one afternoon in the Uwharries I'll take you out. I'm no expert but usually manage to move something.