2019 Severe weather thread

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Dang!!! What storm!! All is good as far as our folks, but clean up, repair and replace is gonna be a bugger ?. Hunting properties, house and stuff on the lake is going to be just chain saw and hammer work. Our home in Ocracoke is 12 feet up and relatively secure, but my old beach truck, golf carts and gear in our utility room havereceived_425055778133925.jpeg been pretty much destroyed in the historic tidal surge. Here's a picture of the property as the tide was rising. Our neighbor took it just before having to swim out.received_425055778133925.jpeg

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
eeae99570257e3f062bfd456bd562f11.jpg

Back rd.
Boat heading towards 12

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Hope everyone has made it through with as little damage as possible.

Now on to 94L which will be the next one to watch.

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
To All Our Core Sound Friends Near and Far,
It’s been a long week and an even longer night but Dorian has finally made her trek across Cape Lookout and left behind a mess in some places and a disaster in others.
Mainland Carteret County had its share of tornadoes, waterspouts, power outages and downed trees but overall we are blessed and thankful. The museum had some minor leaks (hopefully nothing that the soon-to-be complete roof and ongoing rebuild will not fix) and a few more trees down. Most of Down East will be cleaning up for weeks but compared to last year, this is all manageable, and we are relieved and eager to get back to work.
Cedar Island, Ocracoke, Hatteras Island and isolated parts of Down East were not so lucky.
Details are hard to determine but we are learning of rushing tide throughout these island communities on the backside of the storm. Pamlico Sound is unforgiving and we are hearing reports of road and bridge washouts, homes with FEET of water in them, businesses severely damaged and a collective heartache for all that has been lost. We understand and will be doing all we can in the weeks and months ahead to help them, as they have helped us. Once we know what is needed we will do all we can to help our sister island communities.
For now there is nothing we can do. Ferries are not running and communication by phone/internet is unreliable, but we will know more once the wind dies down and communication is reestablished. We will share what we learn as soon as we know.
We have heard nothing from Portsmouth yet, but we know this beloved village has once again caught the wrath of a storm that would not give up. Cape Lookout and Shackleford have surely suffered damage too, but no one has been able to get there to learn more. The winds are still howling and rain continues to blow-in between gusts. The National Park Service will be surveying all the structures on the Banks as soon weather permits and we will share their report once we know.
For now we are all safe and dry, tired, relieved and very thankful, but our hearts break for family and friends “across the sound” who are facing so much work ahead as they put their homes and lives back together.
Again, we are thankful for all of you who have reached out to us over the past few days and appreciate your commitment to our people and the places we all love.

With thanks,

Karen Willis Amspacher
Copyright © 2018 Core Sound Waterfowl Museum & Heritage Center, All rights reserved.

Our mailing address is:
1785 Island Road | PO Box 556
Harkers Island, NC 28531

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

Angelo's in Buxton, hope my pic upload attempt works.

Edited to add: I've eaten there a zillion times, maybe more. Hope I can again.

Last edited:

ecufan

Eight Pointer
Dang!!! What storm!! All is good as far as our folks, but clean up, repair and replace is gonna be a bugger ?. Hunting properties, house and stuff on the lake is going to be just chain saw and hammer work. Our home in Ocracoke is 12 feet up and relatively secure, but my old beach truck, golf carts and gear in our utility room haveView attachment 32619 been pretty much destroyed in the historic tidal surge. Here's a picture of the property as the tide was rising. Our neighbor took it just before having to swim out.View attachment 32619
Dang!!! What storm!! All is good as far as our folks, but clean up, repair and replace is gonna be a bugger ?. Hunting properties, house and stuff on the lake is going to be just chain saw and hammer work. Our home in Ocracoke is 12 feet up and relatively secure, but my old beach truck, golf carts and gear in our utility room haveView attachment 32619 been pretty much destroyed in the historic tidal surge. Here's a picture of the property as the tide was rising. Our neighbor took it just before having to swim out.View attachment 32619
:oops:

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Well one down.....hopefully no more to go......that said most of the global models have several threats down the road reach the SW Atlantic....if there was to be another threat to NC it would probably not be until the Sept 20-30th time frame....and thats good because the later in the year it gets the stronger and more frequent fronts making it into the SE become which helps keep them out to sea.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Does anyone know if Oak Island had significant damage? I didn't see any reports that they did, but we are supposed to head that way in a couple weeks.

302cj

Old Mossy Horns
Does anyone know if Oak Island had significant damage? I didn't see any reports that they did, but we are supposed to head that way in a couple weeks.
I work wth 3 guys that own houses on Oak Island. There neighbors said there were a few limbs down but haven’t seen any major damage.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Heard one or more of the ocean front motels just N. of Whalebone was severely damaged, anybody know the situation in Nags Head?

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Heard one or more of the ocean front motels just N. of Whalebone was severely damaged, anybody know the situation in Nags Head?
Im at my parents in Nags Head. Not much to it damage wise around town. Some have power some dont. The manteo/ nags head causeway took a beating from the wind. It snapped about all the power poles. There's about 20 power trucks on the causeway replacing poles and lines.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Thanks, this is the place I am talking about. Don't have name or MP#, but IIRC it is not too far north of Whalebone. Anybody know this story? Thanks...Image-1_3_resized.jpg

bigdrumnc

Ten Pointer
Had power for two hours! Back on the generator. I have been cutting pines all day and not the duck blind kind!

23mako

Ten Pointer
My friend in Nova Scotia says it’s hitting them as a 2. Absolutely unprepared for that.

Holy cow you ain't lying. Just looked at windy and saw that. What did your friend say? Have they ever been hit by a tropical system like that?

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
We just got back into our house a month ago from Florence. Lost some shingles as well as some of the siding on the East side of home. Water got in from double doors as well as a few windows. Tide got into garage but no extensive flooding. Nothing in comparison to last storm. Glad this one moved fast. Imagine what a Cat 5 would do to our coast even with modern construction. Clean up continues today. 366A94E5-968F-4A6C-87B2-6667AE329EAB.jpeg508628F9-7326-4958-BD3F-E3F06E609B70.jpeg
C107690E-9FEA-437F-AB78-46C6741FEBC7.jpeg

Glad I purchased two new commercial chains for my saw before the storm. After all of these years, I finally learned how to get a saw to start on the first crank. Sea foam along with using that premixed 50-1 fuel.

Anyone that wants to donate supplies to Ocracoke see below Hyde County contact numbers. Please share.
Donations Management 1-833-543-3248
Volunteer Management 252-305-2685

Last edited: