2019 Severe weather thread

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
A super bad cell just came thru the Bethlehem community of southern Alexander County about 1 hour ago.
I was positive that it was a tornado, but Brad Panovich on ch. 36 in Charlotte said it was an 85 mph straight-line wind.
It blew the shingles off my roof, tore the gutters off the back side of the house. It pulled up 20' hemlocks on my property line root ball and all. It tore out 2 crepe myrtles that were 15' tall and put them in the other side of my yard. Many large limbs down, i'll be days cleaning up.
Our weather alerts did not go off, it thundered twice and here it came. Hardest wind Ive ever seen. Couldnt get the dogs out of the kennel fast enough, it turned the dog houses over with them in the house. Finally was able to open a door and call them to me, still got a squirrel dog and a terrier up under the bed hiding.
It rained about 2" in 15 minutes.
That was a bad one sho nuff....

That's a rough deal.straight line winds can cause some serious damage and are sometime violent as tornados.

Sorry to hear about the damage to your property.

We had one 6 or 7 years ago in Greenville over to Washington that caused widespread damage. Even took down 60% of an entire forest.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
Had a microburst or straight line winds knock a big oak onto our house last Oct 11 … wasn't fixed until late March. Hopefully all of the contractors aren't covered up so much in work that you can't get it fixed quickly.

302cj

Old Mossy Horns
Rather big storm in harnett yesterday. Not much wind but just shy of 2” of high quality h2o.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Rather big storm in harnett yesterday. Not much wind but just shy of 2” of high quality h2o.

Major damage in Benson yesterday as those storms rolled through. Numerous homes damaged and dozens of trees down per the storm reports

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Little area of low pressure riding up the SC coast, this could become semi to fully tropical and produce rough conditions along the coast and sounds and heavy rain in eastern NC overnight into tomorrow.....will make offshore rough for sure for you guys planning on heading offshore this weekend.....could even possible be a TD or weak TS, though the seas will be rough regardless.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Sorry, thought the youtube "close lightning strike" video was clean because for 4 minutes all bad words were bleeped, but then they weren't.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Pop up thunder boomer yesterday, late afternoon........not a bit of wind but plenty of lightning and thunder and right at 3" of rain at my place in about an hour before it finally drifted off to the east. It apparently contributed to a couple of major wrecks on I85/I40 that blocked the busy road in both directions a few miles south of me as well. Reports indicate up to 50 vehicles involved during a period of heavy rain. Fortunately no fatalities.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Its been
Pop up thunder boomer yesterday, late afternoon........not a bit of wind but plenty of lightning and thunder and right at 3" of rain at my place in about an hour before it finally drifted off to the east. It apparently contributed to a couple of major wrecks on I85/I40 that blocked the busy road in both directions a few miles south of me as well. Reports indicate up to 50 vehicles involved during a period of heavy rain. Fortunately no fatalities.

It's been fast or famine. I've been in the famine zone while everyone gets to feast

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
How does downtown Raleigh (6.37 miles away), and Downtown Wake Forest (8.23 miles away) get HAMMERED......Literally microbursts, 4 inches of rain per hour, etc, and I hear thunder from BOTH storms, and yet have to water my garden tonight, because we got ZERO rain. NC summers are CRAZY!!!

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
How does downtown Raleigh (6.37 miles away), and Downtown Wake Forest (8.23 miles away) get HAMMERED......Literally microbursts, 4 inches of rain per hour, etc, and I hear thunder from BOTH storms, and yet have to water my garden tonight, because we got ZERO rain. NC summers are CRAZY!!!

it's the music maybe,,,,the Rain Gods don't like what you play?

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
it's the music maybe,,,,the Rain Gods don't like what you play?

My steroe's broke. I drove home watching one cloud in my rear view mirror ERUPT (hit Fayeteville later), Saw another one building near downtown Raleigh. I thought for sure I was going to be in the middle of insane August NC T storms. Instead, I mowed my yard tonight AND had to water my garden!!!!

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Same here, all kinds of rain, reports of rain, damaging winds, ect within miles of me. Here at my house, nada..zip..not a drop.
But I did get to enjoy a nice, bright rainbow off of someone elses storms.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns

I'm in the same boat. The below images show all the rain and bright colors are multiple inches of rain. I'm 4 miles southwest of greenville and I'm in the lightest shades of blue which is around. 25 for the same period all these other areas are getting flooded.

Attachments

• 20190820_141432.jpg
    20190820_141432.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 20190820_143127.jpg
    20190820_143127.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 20

WolfpackHunter

Six Pointer
Contributor
Anyone not cautious with lightning has never had that strike so close they need a change of pants.

I had one bolt hit a tree so close it knocked us all to the ground and we saw stars for a few minutes...I don't know how we all came away unscathed.

Now I'm first one to bail anytime lightning is remotely close....It is nothing to play with...Don't care how people judge me but I'm gone when it starts.

302cj

Old Mossy Horns
Saw on wral that nhc says El Nino is now in play so hurricane predictions are going up. Whats yalls opinions Shaggy?

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Going to be busy Sept and Oct, NHC just classified that mess in the Bahamas as a invest so we will see how it plays out, low chance right now but it will ride up the east coast and could potentially impact the Carolinas by the weekend if it did turn into something, right now the models are not biting but they do tend to suck at forecasting formation of storms in that part of the world....the latest GFS run hasa "fantasy" storm hitting the SE in a few weeks but there is a reason we call them fantasy storms.....

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Saw on wral that nhc says El Nino is now in play so hurricane predictions are going up. Whats yalls opinions Shaggy?

El nino has a hurricane killing effect on wind shear. There was a small el nino that has now faded and is no longer an inhibiting factor.

This is why they increased the storm totals. If course every storm is different and we could have 20 named storms and they all miss land. Best thing to do is remember hurricane preparedness and just be ready.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Pretty good boomer rolling through right now. Pretty well established line from just north of me all the way to Charlotte heading to the southeast. ST8 ought to get some rain out of this one!

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thunder boomer with strong winds and .85 inches of rain in about 15 short minutes..then it was over.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Lightning and some big thunder coming through here from the west. Listening to the weather radio.

Last edited:

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Reports are it hit Statesville and the Triad hard. Parents and sister are out of power in Thomasville, but we didn't have much but a little wind and rain here thankfully.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
We got really lucky. The lightning and thunder only lasted about 15, 20 minutes and the thunder was far away. We must have been on the edge of it here. Hope their power is restored soon!

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Gonna be another rough day. Slight risk up.for parts of Virginia and north central and north coastal.plains.