2019 Severe weather thread

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Sanford just got hammered pretty hard. Hardest rain I may have ever seen, stop lights near about twisting all the way around. That was a good un.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Campbell?

not sure what you mean by "campbell"

we went to an "Irish" place,,,,not bad,,not great but not bad. It was out of the way for both of us, but she found it and wanted to try it

had bangers and mash and shepherds pie,,,,in my world those are more British than Irish but it was the closest they had to "Irish",,,,,dang Americans don't know geography,,,,guess they figured they were an Irish joint because they served Guinness

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
So what directions are today's storms' moving?!?!?!? Downtown Raleigh got ROCKED this afternoon, but it seemed to build from almost due North, and then drift SSW. Now it seems like storms from our East may hit us later?!?!?!?

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
So what directions are today's storms' moving?!?!?!? Downtown Raleigh got ROCKED this afternoon, but it seemed to build from almost due North, and then drift SSW. Now it seems like storms from our East may hit us later?!?!?!?
About 3 this afternoon All Hail broke loose....
High winds, rain so hard you could not see 20.feet and hailed a bunch.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
They've added a lot of the northern half of the state to the slight risk for late afternoon storms.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They've added a lot of the northern half of the state to the slight risk for late afternoon storms.
they are calling for crazy heat here too and high humidity, a perfect combo for violent storms in our area. We need rain badly, just not a bunch of wind and rain all at once.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
they are calling for crazy heat here too and high humidity, a perfect combo for violent storms in our area. We need rain badly, just not a bunch of wind and rain all at once.

Yeah kind of surprised me as the worst storms were projected for areas to our north and we were just in a general thunderstorm shading. Shortwave is running more southeast than east. Central virginia is the best place for severe as the MCS gets rolling to the coast.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Showing us in the severe threat but only 20% chance of rain last I looked. Spotty showers or what's the deal?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Coverage shouldnt be super widespread but storms have lots of energy to work with. The models are not to crazy so it's really a mixed signal on what to expect.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Coverage shouldnt be super widespread but storms have lots of energy to work with. The models are not to crazy so it's really a mixed signal on what to expect.

Coverage is more widespread than some of the models had suggested. Especially the north central part of the state.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I havr an outdoor job to do this week. What's the safest day to do it?

They're thunderstorms. Don't depend on the weatherman to tell you where pop up thunderstorms are gonna hit. Look out the window and git it done.

There was a tornado in Lincoln county this week, and the night before the weatherman said there was ABSOLUTELY NO rain in the forecast for the next few days.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
A super bad cell just came thru the Bethlehem community of southern Alexander County about 1 hour ago.
I was positive that it was a tornado, but Brad Panovich on ch. 36 in Charlotte said it was an 85 mph straight-line wind.
It blew the shingles off my roof, tore the gutters off the back side of the house. It pulled up 20' hemlocks on my property line root ball and all. It tore out 2 crepe myrtles that were 15' tall and put them in the other side of my yard. Many large limbs down, i'll be days cleaning up.
Our weather alerts did not go off, it thundered twice and here it came. Hardest wind Ive ever seen. Couldnt get the dogs out of the kennel fast enough, it turned the dog houses over with them in the house. Finally was able to open a door and call them to me, still got a squirrel dog and a terrier up under the bed hiding.
It rained about 2" in 15 minutes.
That was a bad one sho nuff....

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Blew the front windows out of our pharmacy across the street from me and took the roof off a small furniture company behind it...
856086C5-9F40-4325-854F-4D52256EAE2E.jpeg

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Nothing severe but great storm structure as it hit greenville

Attachments

• 20190813_182720.jpg
    20190813_182720.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 20190813_183142.jpg
    20190813_183142.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 28

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
A super bad cell just came thru the Bethlehem community of southern Alexander County about 1 hour ago.
I was positive that it was a tornado, but Brad Panovich on ch. 36 in Charlotte said it was an 85 mph straight-line wind.
It blew the shingles off my roof, tore the gutters off the back side of the house. It pulled up 20' hemlocks on my property line root ball and all. It tore out 2 crepe myrtles that were 15' tall and put them in the other side of my yard. Many large limbs down, i'll be days cleaning up.
Our weather alerts did not go off, it thundered twice and here it came. Hardest wind Ive ever seen. Couldnt get the dogs out of the kennel fast enough, it turned the dog houses over with them in the house. Finally was able to open a door and call them to me, still got a squirrel dog and a terrier up under the bed hiding.

That supercell was a classic "mothership" shaped cell, they tend to be real ass kickers and the storm was a right turner all classic presentations of a monster storm. Wish you had gotten video.....

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I had lived in the house we are in now for less than a year when we had a straight line wind come and take out 27 grown long leaf pines(snapped some like twigs and pushed some out of the ground), shingles and other damaged trees. I was sure wondering what I had signed up for living in the shadow of the mountains but that's the last time it happened...knock on wood. Those are just as violent as tornadoes I soon found out.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Sorry to hear that Copper. That looks like it was a bad one. We had 65 mph winds with that cold front/thunderstorm line back in June, and it was impressive. 85 mph out of the blue with no warning is dangerous. Glad you guys are ok