2019 Severe weather thread

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
we've received over 3" here,,,,these summer storms are always variable like that,,,,gully washer in one place and a mile away nothing,,,,

This just happened to me. Literally a mile away got a heavy shower and I barely wet the pavement. I'm the little blue dot right beside the storm.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190708-152901_RadarNow!.jpg
    Screenshot_20190708-152901_RadarNow!.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 34

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I drove from Clayton to Raleigh this afternoon, went through a serious storm! 2 miles after going only 15 mph in heavy winds and torrential rain on HWY 70, the pavement wasn't even wet. At my house? Zero :( Gotta water the garden again :mad:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
This just happened to me. Literally a mile away got a heavy shower and I barely wet the pavement. I'm the little blue dot right beside the storm.

This afternoon had a heck of a storm at 3:30 or so here at the house got an inch or so

100 yds away my dog pen didn't get a drop,,,

Go figure

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
This afternoon had a heck of a storm at 3:30 or so here at the house got an inch or so

100 yds away my dog pen didn't get a drop,,,

Go figure

Now that is impressive! I've seen it plenty of times raining out the front door but not out the back, but I've never seen a 1" storm and 100 yards away get zero.

I can't complain at all here. We've gotten good rains every week or two. Enough to soak everything really good, but not cause flooding. The garden and plots are trucking right along.

I'd just as soon any hurricanes stay far away though.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
The tropical system keeps getting moved to the easy after landfall doesn’t it??

Not enough to impact us a lot at this point, it will increase moisture availability in the SE and indirectly effect our weather but as of right now its going to be a central gulf coast issue, starting to look like a fairly decent hurricane making landfall somewhere in LA is likely now.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
never seen a 1" storm and 100 yards away get zero.

I hadn't seen that close before either but it happened,,,,I was shocked as it was a boomer of a storm but nothing at the dogs,,,I had fed my old lab (she's coming 15) earlier and her food was still in the bowl,,,,dry as a bone,,,no water in the extra water pan outside of her pen, etc etc ect

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I hadn't seen that close before either but it happened,,,,I was shocked as it was a boomer of a storm but nothing at the dogs,,,I had fed my old lab (she's coming 15) earlier and her food was still in the bowl,,,,dry as a bone,,,no water in the extra water pan outside of her pen, etc etc ect
bailing hay Ive saw it once before that close.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
With the soon to be probable Hurricane Barry hitting the LA/TX border area this weekend with high winds and crazy rainfall ( some models dump 20-30" ) there could/should be issues with the oil refineries/pipelines etc and since gas prices bounce around with little reason anyways I would fill everything up tomorrow or Friday just in case there is a supply issue and or a big price jump.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Got good storms headed this way from Kerr and Gaston lake hope they make it this far. Some of the storms comming from that direction take a detour and follow the roanoke river more south east. Getting dry here no real rain since sunday before last

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
4 hours of thunder here in greenville.

Attachments

• 20190711_210036.jpg
    20190711_210036.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 28
  • 20190711_210223.jpg
    20190711_210223.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 26

country

Ten Pointer
Whopping 0.1" at the farm. Good rain been missing us for past month. My corn and beans look pitiful. Nothing like losing money...

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Whopping 0.1" at the farm. Good rain been missing us for past month. My corn and beans look pitiful. Nothing like losing money...
.2 inches with both rains from yesterday and last night combined, better than nothing and at least I'm only losing what's in the garden and a few flowers. I feel for these farmers near my house, but in other very close locations they have been getting a decent scattering of good substantial rain.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Once again we are looking at a nasty week in store for us heat wise........temps in the mid to upper 90's all week to be capped off with temps 100ish or even a little better maybe Fri/Sat.......unlike earlier heat waves dew points will be in the low to mid 70's even at peak heating so heat indexs will be 105-115 so keep that in mind.....the lucky ones will get that afternoon storms which will be widely scattered all week......then after this week a return to the wet and stormy conditions look probable so the hot week followed by wet week pattern continues.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Worked outside from 6 am till 11 am. Really wasn't bad at all. Very nice out. Got home and heard distant thunder for over an hour. Only a trace of rain. Less than 3.1 miles away, they have trees down on houses, powerlines down, and had HEAVY rain.

Not complaining though. I'll take having to water the garden over tree damage any day!

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Worked outside from 6 am till 11 am. Really wasn't bad at all. Very nice out. Got home and heard distant thunder for over an hour. Only a trace of rain. Less than 3.1 miles away, they have trees down on houses, powerlines down, and had HEAVY rain.

Not complaining though. I'll take having to water the garden over tree damage any day!

Not sure exactly where you are but there was a wet microburst caught on camera in the Raleigh area yesterday.....this time of year the high heat and humidity causes rapidly rising columns of moist air to form as they race upwards they cool off as temps 20-30kft up are much lower causing them to form pockets of very cool droplets....this is called pooling....once the density and mass of the cold pool of droplets exceeds the strength of te updraft it crashes down to earth causing a microburst......

this is what it looks like as it happens and why the damage was isolated....winds where it first hits and turns probably exceeded 60-70 mph
micro 1.jpgmicro.jpgmicro 3.jpg

ibgreen

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Planning to be in the NC mountains with the boy camping next week? Looking like a washout long range. Any insights? Hoping to be able to slide down the rock if the water is not too high...

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Planning to be in the NC mountains with the boy camping next week? Looking like a washout long range. Any insights? Hoping to be able to slide down the rock if the water is not too high...

Middle to end of next week should be wet or at least a high chance of off and on scattered storms and showers......not sure any one day is going to be a total washout at this point but should be mostly hot and dryer through Sun/Mon then more chances for rain rest of week.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
pretty froggy here this evening,,,,,one cell in the area and it had to come to my house,,,,nothing but wind, thunder and lightning so far

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
80 for a high on Wednesday is going to be nice. Of course it will come with 5 feet of rain but at this point I don't care. I'd rather work in the rain than 110 heat index.