2019 Severe weather thread

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
We had a heck of a storm roll through my neck of the woods yesterday. Lots of rain and wind was crazy......rained for almost 2 hours. No idea on amount but the first 30 minutes was like in a hurricane or tropical storm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Bunch flash flooding and mud being dealt with round here vehicles stuck people trying drive through water several detours NW NC everyone watch out

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
My daughter has been trying to fly out of RDU - cancelled yesterday and no telling for today

Some chowder head pulled a fire alarm there - people

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Extensive flooding in catawba and alexander counties. Many roads are flooded out, sink holes on multiple roads. Hwy 16 bridge crossing catawba river at oxford dam is closed. I think they have 4 gates open on oxford dam.
So far nothing major at my house. Little water in the basement, nothing the shop vac cant take care of. All local family is ok as well. Church got about 3" of water in our lower building.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
My basement has about 6" of standing water in it...southern Alexander County.
First time in 15 years of living in this house that one drop of water has gotten in. Water pooled so high that it came in under the garage door and basement entrance door. Never have seen it rain as bad as it did last night. Still raining....already emptied a 16 gal. shopvac 21 times. Had to stop for a minute to gather myself to keep from crying.....its bad....just had to vent.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Glad I live by the lake and don’t have to worry about that crap here. If it floods where I live, that’s some biblical chit

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Northern wake and franklin got it hard yesterday. Just after I passed it they had several sections wash out on 401 and many other roads in the area.
As of today 401 is closed north of 96 up past 89. Same with some side roads.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
This was greenville yesterday at the bottom of cotanche.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190610-084628_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20190610-084628_Facebook.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 46

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I was at the get together at Conman's this weekend so I can't speak to when we got the deluge, but my rain gauge was completely full and running over at 5 inches when I got home Sunday. I have one at my house and one at the garden and both were overflowing at 5 inches.
From the look of the river and the ditches it must have all come at once, there was a lot of rutting and washed out places that only a bunch of rain falling at once could have done.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Catawba county schools closed today due to standing water in many schools and road closures throughout the county. Several main roads are washed out, bridges gone, sink holes. Some homes in the area got some pretty bad flood damage. Lots of trees down. Friend of mine had a tree fall on his garage and smash his car as well.

Don't know exact amount of rainfall at my house, my rain gauage measures 8" and it overflowed.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Catawba county schools closed today due to standing water in many schools and road closures throughout the county. Several main roads are washed out, bridges gone, sink holes. Some homes in the area got some pretty bad flood damage. Lots of trees down. Friend of mine had a tree fall on his garage and smash his car as well.

Don't know exact amount of rainfall at my house, my rain gauage measures 8" and it overflowed.
Riverbend Park I think got 9-plus inches. The pics I’ve seen are crazy, especially the one of Snow Creek Rd. Mountain Island had a dock full of boats break free and get stuck on the 16 bridge, supposedly they got under the bridge as the water level is dropping and rumor has it 8 went over the spillway. We maybe got 2” up here on my mountain in Haywood, lucked out because I was thinking over 6” was going to happen and we didn’t need it.

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
f4c6514fd72e09cbb0916b1afbc63b0f.jpg

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
My guys who live North of Roleseville NC (several of them) are having to add at least an hour to their commute in since 401 got washed away.

Anyone have a feed of the storms on Saturday? I was at Conman's as well. My rain gauge had 3 inches when I got home Sunday. My buddy not 15 miles away says he got almost 8 in 4 hours Saturday!?!?!?!?

And yet at Conman's, where we were supposed to get LOTS, barely a trace all weekend.

Tough time to be a weatherman!

tarheelshooter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
No idea how much we got but it was flat out pouring rain Saturday morning. I don’t have a rain gauge but it filled a 5 gallon bucket and overflowed in less than 5 hours. That bucket was dumped at 6:30 am and rain started to let up around 12 pm.Thought I was going to have to break out the kayak to get across the back yard and back to the house.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Been quiet here in Raleigh tonight, even grilling some tuna!

Today was great, got grass done and grilled out as well......tomorrow however could see 1-3" in some places others wont get much at all. IMBY this entire week I haven't had but maybe 1-2", 10 miles west of me has had 5-8"

302cj

Old Mossy Horns
Saw this pic on wral. In Virginia I think.

Attachments

• C22387A1-B9CD-4D10-BC3C-4EDA74326640.png
    C22387A1-B9CD-4D10-BC3C-4EDA74326640.png
    265.4 KB · Views: 44

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Today is gonna be a rough day as a very strong shortwave moves through. Models are suggesting a big line of storms or MCS gets going and moves all the way across the state with damaging winds.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
SPC got a 45% area for damaging winds that cover's most of central and eastern NC , what this means is there is a 45% chance of a 50 knt or higher damaging wind event within 25 miles of any given location in that area. With how big the area is that equals a very high chance that there will be numerous gust over 50 knts at some point in the 45% area...there is also a chance of a few embedded QLCS type tornado's though this setup is not that great for them, this setup screams straight line winds.

Models form a MCS over the foothills and race it east across NC this complex if it forms will be a fast moving hard hitting bowing line segment and along the leading edge of the line there will be many places it is exceeding 55 mph winds...the good news is they move fast and the worse weather is typically over in 10-15 mins though there could be some heavy rain after the main line and the models give a large area 1-3" of rain in a 6 hr or so period. Also Saturday into early next week could see several of these waves come through with severe weather though its a little early to harp on those as todays threat is front and center.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Pretty much everything missed us today, thankfully. Still got power, still got AC!!!! We got a half inch in about a half hour out of one storm, and another one looked to be builiding up to to us in Raleigh and then Poof gone. I'm ok with that.

Seen on wral where a tree got toppled that had several yellow jacket nests in the snapped off part fully exposed and AGRY!!!!!!! Hate it for that work crew!

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Major wind hit here right at 5:00. Unreal wind. They recorded 74 mph. No trees down on us, but power is out. A pine tree snapped in half and fell on a trailer 1/2 mile down the road. Neighbor on the other side had one down in his pasture. Church is out of power in town.