2019 Severe weather thread

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Multiple severe storms here with verified tornados within 5 miles of my house. One downburst dropped .5 inches of rain in a couple of minutes.
It was pretty cool seeing the fronts collide right over my house but I'd rather have to water my garden.?

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Out west did well with this one but Raleigh to the east not so much. Not sure why but it could have been that big cluster of storms over SC not allowing deeper moisture to advect our way. Getting dry round my neck of the woods.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I can’t believe anyone needs to water right now. We haven’t gotten any rain in the last 24 hours but the garden is still under water from what we had Saturday.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Garden looks good but my SIL near clayton got raquet ball sized hail! Car damage etc.

THe radar of the tornado near Zebulon was pretty epic looking.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Garden looks good but my SIL near clayton got raquet ball sized hail! Car damage etc.

THe radar of the tornado near Zebulon was pretty epic looking.

The tornado near zebulon is likely to be ef2. The picture of the truck flipped over in a field was tossed a hundred or more yards takes better than an ef0-ef1. Buddy on a weather forums cousin got this pic of it.

The 2nd picture is of a wall cloud just north of snow hill.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1510021.jpg
    FB_IMG_1510021.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG952256.jpg
    IMG952256.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 57

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
A acquaintance of mine named "Zach" posted a VERY similar, but not the same photo on his facebook. Actually looks like the same picture, just chopped.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Sounds like the zebulon tornado is going to be EF 2 and Wendell summary hasnt been released yet.

302cj

Old Mossy Horns
This is a pic of that cell before it hit wake county. This was from Sanford. Almost no wind or rain as it was building up I guess.

Attachments

• IMG_4419.PNG
    IMG_4419.PNG
    351.1 KB · Views: 39

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Yesterday was a good example of how it doesn't take a great setup to produce severe weather, the storms were fairly isolated discrete monster supercells taking maximum advantage of the atmosphere. It was also a perfect chasing scenario and I was stuck at work all day....

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I'd REALLY like to know who took that actual pic. I believe it wasn't the person I know.

I can only recall two prior times in my 25 + years in NC that hail that size has been reported.

Part of my crew who lives around angier nc arrived today with fresh broken windshields and dents in their trucks. They were palm sized hail bullets. Their neighbors actually lost entire windshields and rear windows. Yesterday was a small track, but I will definitely remember it!

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Well summer gonna be here early this year.....going to get a little break mid week with highs in the lower 80's but then the next 7-10 days are going to be well above normal with mid to upper 90's to finish out May with little in the way of rain as well....could even see the southern sandhills pushing 100.......this will be a significant change compared to the last 4-5 very wet years for most of us.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Rare high risk day ( NC has only ever had 2 high risk issued 3-24-84 and 4-16-11 ) has been issued for TX and OK, if everything comes together today will unfortunately be a day full of severe and deadly tornados in fairly populated to very populated areas......this setup will produce long track severe tornados....

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Just like that I see the photo above on Facebook so who knows if it was really his cousin or not.

Sounds like the wal mart in garner is closed after suffering hail damage.

I’ve seen some of the cars that were there.... insane stuff, at our house we have to replace the roof. Good bit of the hail I saw was baseball size with some softballs mixed in, biggest piece was cantaloupe size and coulda brained me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve seen some of the cars that were there.... insane stuff, at our house we have to replace the roof. Good bit of the hail I saw was baseball size with some softballs mixed in, biggest piece was cantaloupe size and coulda brained me

Cantaloupe? That would rival the bigest hail of all time. I know they had baseball and a few bigger but I'd need to see a pic of a cantaloupe sized chunk of hail.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
0119c1bb2e20460d5e3ca6eef22d6690.jpg

The cluster in the depression is it, broke when it. I had to go out to get my dog that was cowering under the boat and it feel 3 front off me as I was running back in with her.... for farm of ref that depression is about a foot wide and 10 ft off those steps.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I know Travis. If he's esitmating distances, bullet drop, or sizes his opinion is good enough for me. I've seen numerous pictures of softball hail from that storm in that area.

I know one business had not one car in the parking lot that could be driven home because of glass damage.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
I know Travis. If he's esitmating distances, bullet drop, or sizes his opinion is good enough for me. I've seen numerous pictures of softball hail from that storm in that area.

I know one business had not one car in the parking lot that could be driven home because of glass damage.

Theres a decent difference between softball and cantaloupes. If he says softball I believe him but he says cantaloupe and meteorologically speaking I have very significant doubts.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Maybe there were several individual hail stones that where stuck together, the dynamics associated with those storms that day were not strong enough to produce much larger than softball size hail ( which is usually upper end of what is possible in NC) and the softball size stones would be few and far between. Cantaloupe size would literally be the largest hailstone ever recorded in the USA....the dynamics to produce a hailstone that big just wasn't there, though again I suppose several baseball/softball size stones could have loosely froze together and then fallen together......large hailstones do not explode when hitting the ground ( earth/soil ) usually as well and the process that forms them makes them very hard.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I'm curious,

How round trips down, then up, does it take to form a hail stone of softball size? A couple? A few, or multiple? How strong does the storm (updrafts) have to be to push ice the size of a golf ball UP so that it can grow larger and drop again?!?!?!?