2019 Severe weather thread

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Yeah my tv said "tornado warning" I didn't look at where. I logged onto the icontrol just to see if I could see what they were talking about and figured the pictured I posted HAD to be it. Warning has lifted now. I hope no turkeys were injured ;)

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
You can see the rotation tighten up and get bright then fade and open back up...still there was 2-3 frames there where this was OTG....

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Another area of rotation forming in the line east of Fayetteville, it will be a area to watch over the next hr

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
You can see the darker green line on the velocities mode, this sharp darker line is the leading edge of the squall line and then you see the red areas forming along the squall, these are the areas of rotation forming along the leading edge, this is what you watch for as this is what leads to those typically short lived weakish spin up tornados in set ups like this. Though typically weaker sometimes the tornados formed can be quite strong in squall lines like this. Right now the rotations are not well formed but that could change fairly quickly though a the squall moves east and the sun sets instability should lessen the threat overall.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
It does Willie. No worries.

Not for me, it just says Willie, Twelve pointer.

DENC, may not be for this thread, but I'd LOVE to see the same kind of awesome footage you posted of an actual devastating tornado like often happens in these months but in Alabamba, or Kansas, or wherever in the "tornado belt". I'm fine if you post them here, I just don't want folks who just went through a special forces training excercise in Raleigh 3 weeks ago to see your post and dive into their crawl space for 3 hours lol.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns

DENC, may not be for this thread, but I'd LOVE to see the same kind of awesome footage you posted of an actual devastating tornado like often happens in these months but in Alabamba, or Kansas, or wherever in the "tornado belt". I'm fine if you post them here, I just don't want folks who just went through a special forces training excercise in Raleigh 3 weeks ago to see your post and dive into their crawl space for 3 hours lol.

There are a lot of really good tornado videos, but there are probably 10-15 that are next level.....for me the Wynnewood Ok EF4 is probably one of the best clear looks at a tornado that had ground motions that were just unfathomable to actually be witnessed. You can clearly see trees being thrown around at hundreds of miles a hour.....its a very clear example of extreme motion in a tornado.....the whole video is amazing but starting at 4:00 it is just ?

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Also Sat and Sun look to be nasty, tomorrow could be a bad day in Dixie Alley, then Sunday could potentially be a rough day for our neck of the woods.....

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

In order to see a users location, you have to move your cursor over their userid or avatar just above the userid. It has been like this the new forum software was installed. This was explained after the update.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Pretty nasty sounding for the Triangle on the latest 3km NAM model for Sunday night.....bad storms late at night are bad news but this sounding shows a PDS TOR hazard. PDS stands for particularly dangerous situation meaning the setup is very conducive for tornadic development.....the STP is way high over NC so this is troubling.....the upside is this is late at night and this tends to mitigate instability etc, still this shows the potential Sunday night has for tornados as it stands right now.......

chef

Ten Pointer
Pretty nasty sounding for the Triangle on the latest 3km NAM model for Sunday night.....bad storms late at night are bad news but this sounding shows a PDS TOR hazard. PDS stands for particularly dangerous situation meaning the setup is very conducive for tornadic development.....the STP is way high over NC so this is troubling.....the upside is this is late at night and this tends to mitigate instability etc, still this shows the potential Sunday night has for tornados as it stands right now.......
View attachment 27365

View attachment 27366
If I could have two superpowers the first would be to heal others the second make the storms you have above dissipate

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns

This one shows a tornado when its young and not too severe and then you see it erupt into a massive EF4. There is one F bomb in it so be prepared for that but you can see it early in the video with a weak rotation as it approaches the 4 lane and then when it gets to the 4 lane it starts to ramp up. At 3:30 into the video it starts to go nuts at 4:00 in you will see why they tell you NOT to be in a mobile home when a big tornado hits.

chef

Ten Pointer
This one shows a tornado when its young and not too severe and then you see it erupt into a massive EF4. There is one F bomb in it so be prepared for that but you can see it early in the video with a weak rotation as it approaches the 4 lane and then when it gets to the 4 lane it starts to ramp up. At 3:30 into the video it starts to go nuts at 4:00 in you will see why they tell you NOT to be in a mobile home when a big tornado hits.

It looks like they start at the bar of the storm, but does the rotation column complete from the ground up? The condensation column looks that way

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
It looks like they start at the bar of the storm, but does the rotation column complete from the ground up? The condensation column looks that way

Tornados extends well above the cloud base with many updrafts on the strongest tornados reaching 20k plus feet....

The Moore EF5 was well sampled and the DOW truck got some amazing images of its structure, the parent updraft on the monster wedge tornado reached 25K ft.....

chef

Ten Pointer
Tornados extends well above the cloud base with many updrafts on the strongest tornados reaching 20k plus feet....

The Moore EF5 was well sampled and the DOW truck got some amazing images of its structure, the parent updraft on the monster wedge tornado reached 25K ft.....

View attachment 27371

So in the videos when it is just starting to get going it appears to start and stop and then at some point the"ground column" meets the funnel cloud at the base of the storm and it takes off.

I assume the upper level rotation is already occuring. My question is if the visible columns never connect are the effects not felt?

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
This video has cost Brandon Sullivan ( top notch chaser ) a lot of grief as he and his team got caught in what chasers refer to as the "bear cage", contrary to popular beliefs tornados are rather predictable and the area known as the bear cage is not the place to be, its located between the tornado and the storm core to the north usually.....so if you end up in the bear cage the only real way out is to either eat the core and the baseball size hail there, duck out the back through the RFD which is rear flank downdraft and thats almost as bad as the tornado in many cases, or to go south and cut in front of the tornado ( big no no usually )....so Brandon totally loses his cool here as this was a massive wedge tornado and they were in a position were they couldnt really get away luckily the tornado passes behind them and they barely beat it out of the cage....they were never in the tornado this was all RFD wind.....

Bear Cage is the area I circled in yellow....

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
So in the videos when it is just starting to get going it appears to start and stop and then at some point the"ground column" meets the funnel cloud at the base of the storm and it takes off.

I assume the upper level rotation is already occuring. My question is if the visible columns never connect are the effects not felt?

You dont have to have a ground to cloud connection for the effects to be felt.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns

Tornados are always from the top down.....before they touch down how much is visible has to do with how much moisture there is in the lower levels and many times tornados are on the ground without much visible.....once they have been on the ground a bit they get full of dirt/debris etc making it easier to see them. There are plenty of times where "funnel clouds" never reach the surface and thus nothing happens....

Still there are plenty of times tornado reach the surface with no real evidence visible even with it on the ground for a period of time if there is nothing for it to "eat"

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Today is shaping up to be a big outbreak day in LA/MS/AL/AR/TX area, the only thing that might save them is there is so much low level moisture that there may be to many storms to close together and that could choke out a lot of the inflow needed to really sustain tornados......still looking a little worrisome for us tomorrow as well though the timing would be mostly in the evening and that could prevent it from being to bad...we will have to wait and see.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Today is shaping up to be a big outbreak day in LA/MS/AL/AR/TX area, the only thing that might save them is there is so much low level moisture that there may be to many storms to close together and that could choke out a lot of the inflow needed to really sustain tornados......still looking a little worrisome for us tomorrow as well though the timing would be mostly in the evening and that could prevent it from being to bad...we will have to wait and see.

Plenty of big outbreaks happen at night if the ingredients come together. Temps getting into the low to mid 80s tomorrow can go a long way. The gfs and euro apparently arent as dangerous for us as the nam so we shall see.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Plenty of big outbreaks happen at night if the ingredients come together. Temps getting into the low to mid 80s tomorrow can go a long way. The gfs and euro apparently arent as dangerous for us as the nam so we shall see.

Yeah here is the NAM sim radar and sounding for PGV for the same frame....thats bad but its the NAM...

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah plenty of time for this threat to come into a more clearer picture. Certainly cant take the guard down yet.

The moderate risk zone today in Louisiana could be in for a really bad day.

yeah sig tor numbers are off the charts for northern Louisiana mid afternoon...of anything gets some room its off to the races....