2019 Severe weather thread

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Can we add spiders....cause the ones this time of year that build the impossible webs across all my skidder paths face high SUCK, I suffer from arachnophobia pretty bad and well me walking through one of those webs aint pretty.
I'm all for that I ain't afraid of em but they aggravate the fire out of us glasses wearers

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Another rough day ahead tomorrow, big time cold front blasting through will see 15-20 degree temp swings in a half hr or so with the front passage, actual front should be a nasty little squall line, timing will vary, worse looks to be in foothills and piedmont around late morning to midday the line will likely get to RDU around dark and clear the coast by midnight....those of you with kids keep this in mind it will be darn near 75-80 degrees before the front and 55-60 almost immediately after with rain and strong storms out in front of and with the actual front.....could really impact trick or treaters especially in the middle of the state....

day2otlk_0600.gif

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Going to be a pretty big temp drop with that front as well....Saturday could be a really good day in the woods.....

Mid to upper 70's east of the front, temp will drop to mid 50's right behind it, there will be a 15-20 temp difference over just 5 miles or so with the front.......could be very windy in general with this front even without storms etc....
NAMNSTMA_sfc_temp_041.png

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
The Hi Res models rotate a lot of these storms this afternoon so take any tornado warning very seriously, there could be several of them off and on throughout the afternoon and evening across much of NC but primarily just in front of or along the actual front......

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Power already out at my house, tornado warning in effect. With the drought weakened trees and over 6 inches of rain in a few weeks thus wind may be rough on power poles.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It's all about over for us here but Rockingham and those counties are getting slammed. Rotation in the clouds, no report of an actual tornado yet.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Coming to Raleigh soon 7:55 pm. No reason to blow off the leaves when I got home on account of the decent winds all day today. Lots of leaves down, and I don't care. I hope power stays on because I use a sleep apnea machine.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Coming to Raleigh soon 7:55 pm. No reason to blow off the leaves when I got home on account of the decent winds all day today. Lots of leaves down, and I don't care. I hope power stays on because I use a sleep apnea machine.

If your sleep apnea is severe enough that you can't sleep without it, you should look at some source of backup power.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
It got here right on schedule. Downpours and heavy lightening still going on. Too dark to see what the wind is doing but it sounds like there is a fair amount.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Got to say, I'm in Raleigh, I'm kind of excited to hear the LAST thunder, and see the last lightning, of the year 2019. Not many times in life we can say such, but I am certain tonight is one of those rare events! Thanks Denc and Shaggy!!

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Got to say, I'm in Raleigh, I'm kind of excited to hear the LAST thunder, and see the last lightning, of the year 2019. Not many times in life we can say such, but I am certain tonight is one of those rare events! Thanks Denc and Shaggy!!

This line means business. Some damage from Guilford looks pretty serious. Tress through roofs type of damage. Stay safe!

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
This line means business. Some damage from Guilford looks pretty serious. Tress through roofs type of damage. Stay safe!

I lowered everything on my deck. I SOOOO want to go to bed, but I feel like I must stay up until this line comes through. One day (even though they try now), My phone will tell me,, in an alexic voice, "Hey Stupid..the front has pushed through".

I'm expecting less than half an inch of rain, but 8 inches of downed leaves!

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Power out here. Even a slight breeze anymore and I am in the dark. Duke does not do a good job maintaining their line ROWS anymore.

It was not that bad here but will likely be several hours before it is restored.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
83 in Charlotte today, down to 59 now but feels colder than that in Gastonia. The temp is falling like a rock down a well. Clouds are gone and stars are out, should be in the 30's by morning

curdog

Ten Pointer
Contributor
73 this morning going into work and got in upper 70s this afternoon. Its already down in the low 40s right now.

302cj

Old Mossy Horns
Jeep said it was 71 yesterday morning. 44 today. No wing last night and 1/2” of rain

302cj

Old Mossy Horns
no wind? I’m between Olivia and mamers.....and it sounded like a hurricane for about a half hour.
We left church at 745 with bag full and went to house. I’m in Mamers area. Stayed up til 10. Nothing more than couple 20 mph gusts. Not sure why.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Hey @downeastnc and @Shaggy, Catawba and Alexander Co schools are already on a 3 hour delay for tomorrow morning, but Im not seeing it. All my apps show rain and lows near 36. The mountains are supposed to get a little mixed bag precip, but I think these school folk are trippin'.
What are y'all seeing for west of 77, north of 40 ?

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Hey @downeastnc and @Shaggy, Catawba and Alexander Co schools are already on a 3 hour delay for tomorrow morning, but Im not seeing it. All my apps show rain and lows near 36. The mountains are supposed to get a little mixed bag precip, but I think these school folk are trippin'.
What are y'all seeing for west of 77, north of 40 ?
Looks like a quick overrunning event and changeover to all rain. The HRRR which is a short range model that only goes out to 18 hours on most runs is unimpressive. However that said it only takes a lightglaze on the roads to make them horrible when it comes to ice.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191212-200000_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20191212-200000_Samsung Internet.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 25

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Could be concern is for northern Alex just them couple degrees before daybreak could make difference. Besides you know your family wants sleep in little on nasty cold rainy AM I know I'm gonna

Oh you know they'll sleep in 😬
Me ?? I gotta open the store, thats how it goes when you can see your workplace from your front porch 😉