2019 Big Drum reports/pics

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
You will catch Old Drum for the next two months most anywhere you soak baits in the Southern Pamlico. Popping is a little more difficult but fish are around. My guess is that there will be over a thousand 40 + inch fish released this weekend during the tournament. Hope we have good weather.
How did that guess pan out?

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
it was poor for me this past weekend. Lotsa bait and rain but no Drum. this was oriental area of nuese.
I am just now able to eat given my depression. :)
I live for a chance this time of year and to zero is sickening.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
We did a little scouting this morning. Plenty of trout, flounder and short drum, but didnt see any big drum. Think im gonna wait to go on this wind shift this weekend.

Starfan

Eight Pointer
it was poor for me this past weekend. Lotsa bait and rain but no Drum. this was oriental area of nuese.
Do you think the big drum just haven’t got there yet or are not coming? I’ve never fished for them over there but have caught a few by accident. Was wanting to run my boat over there and try it after I get back from Alaska in a couple of weeks.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
They're catching the bigger fish right outside the inlet and fish 30" to 40" on the inside with a bigger one mixed in once in a while.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Do you think the big drum just haven’t got there yet or are not coming? I’ve never fished for them over there but have caught a few by accident. Was wanting to run my boat over there and try it after I get back from Alaska in a couple of weeks.
well i cannot say personally.
The folks I ride with and informed smart captains that i heard declared "it was two weeks away".
I will try and be there to test their theory. :)

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns

Kinda surprising since the "old drum" is the easiest fish to catch in the water.... so they say...

Secret Spot

Six Pointer
Neuse River 8/27 caught 8 on morning trip and 7 in the evening 44 to 48 inches.
4f59c89bfbd3a32bc6a58d901aad96ec.jpg
2684891f38d942a1d2e1f087958377cf.jpg
fec656246e57b1a93005216cf954372e.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I gotta ask cause I dont know so excuse ignorance.
Do any of you catch the big drum now on something (artificial) besides that dang poppin cork and swimbait rig?
Someone please explain to me why a swimbait alone on a jighead cast wont outcatch the popping cork.
Simply a matter of the number of presentations you can make and the fact that it would seem that sometimes they dont want to come to within a foot of the surface to bite.

No use to reinvent the wheel but dang that looks to be a natural way to catch them.
It would help me alot just to quote someone who knows what they are doing on the topic. My rides do not give much merit to my idea. :)

So anyone use anything inshore on the big ones that you will talk about?

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Do any of you catch the big drum now on something (artificial) besides that dang poppin cork and swimbait rig?
Someone please explain to me why a swimbait alone on a jighead cast wont outcatch the popping cork.
Simply a matter of the number of presentations you can make and the fact that it would seem that sometimes they dont want to come to within a foot of the surface to bite.

No use to reinvent the wheel but dang that looks to be a natural way to catch them.
It would help me alot just to quote someone who knows what they are doing on the topic. My rides do not give much merit to my idea. :)

Imo, they respond to the clack and splash of the cork in dirty water which ups the odds of you getting bit. If you fish enough in areas that have em, you'll catch em on darn near everything you throw...if you throw it enough.
Ive seen days they would flat out destroy the cork and wouldnt hit anything under the cork.

redbow

Ten Pointer

Mitchell Blake (IBX guide) use to catch some on a big rattle trap. Not sure if he still does.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Imo, they respond to the clack and splash of the cork in dirty water which ups the odds of you getting bit. If you fish enough in areas that have em, you'll catch em on darn near everything you throw...if you throw it enough.
Ive seen days they would flat out destroy the cork and wouldnt hit anything under the cork.
you are describing my first day in hell if that ever happened to me.
Not catching multiple visual bites from them would be torture.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
another disappointing trip. we caught two thursday nigh, both about 43 inches, one hooked on the cork friday, none yesterday.

some awesome catches reported friday night near oriental and cedar island but the daylight artificial bite was disappointing for many. Maybe it gets going before the storm. Plenty of bait in nuese for sure.