2019 Big Drum reports/pics

darenative

Twelve Pointer
It'll be a few days before we go after em but i'll post em when we go.
Next trip should be to try to get my wife a release citation out of the yaks..if we can get the weather to work with.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
Ive seen some post already of a bunch being caught, on average how long is the "season" for them? Gonna try to make a trip this month but with my work schedule and other obligations it might be late September before i get a few free days to chase them.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Ive seen some post already of a bunch being caught, on average how long is the "season" for them? Gonna try to make a trip this month but with my work schedule and other obligations it might be late September before i get a few free days to chase them.
From the spawn run happening now until Thanksgiving in the sand the big ones are around.
as it all things with salt fish "it just depends"

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Only been once. Only count the ones over 40”FL even though I never fill out paperwork. These were early April. Saw a window of weather that aligned with my ability to take off work, so pulled the trigger and went on a last minutes notice. Rolled the dice and won. That trip also proved there was no shortage of sharks.... and big ones at that. I quit fishing at times due to the toothy bastards.

Looking like fall will be skimpy for me with one, maybe two trips this fall. C2BF907B-2638-4410-ADCE-BC848F270AEC.jpeg2249004B-2F4F-4B76-AF07-434D337C234D.jpegA610A9A8-0290-4E29-A437-F4575F6C840D.jpeg9827B5CC-F90B-46C3-830D-7A6A107DBE6A.jpeg

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Nick Walke built the purple one and the dark blue one. The black one I’m unsure of. It’s a blank no longer made and I bought it because it’s arguably one of the best drum rods that’s ever been made. I had some when I was younger and sold them. Couldn’t turn it down when it was offered for sale.

The blue one and purple one are the same blank.
CTS 1305. Also have a teal 1306 that I don’t bring out unless fishing the pier or throwing 10oz n bait.

Blue one has black Fuji alconites
Purple one has Fuji titanium torzites, about $150ish/rod upgrade. I’m not sold on them over the alconites just yet.

The alconites just don’t have the finish on the frames that they used to have.

Black rod is a WRI Fusion. I can throw the CTS 1305 just as well as the Fusion, but that Fusion just loads up and feels so much smoother in the cast, but the blank its self is considerably heavier than the CTS blanks.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I fully understand the "it depends" sentiment. Seems like im always a week early or a week late, no matter the species.

That’s why I rarely plan ahead now. I know the weekends I have my daughter and the weekends I have to be near by for work..... then look for weather gaps in between and go. Success has went way up like that. Spring time is stupid simple to catch them. If you can read a forecast you can catch a drum, or watch drum being caught and at least wonder what you did wrong.

You can just about do that in the fall as well, but they’re not quite as predictable.... but generally more available at a larger variety of locations.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Tip of the iceberg of a school that was probably over 1/4mi long and several hundred yards across. Much further out here than they looked. 43EFC9BD-9EDB-4FE8-992A-FC3E3A2B7235.jpeg

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I was,,,didn't catch squat then either!!!

even better is the "it should be good in a week or two",,,,
I go every week and still don’t catch diddly! In the 2.5 years we’ve been here I’ve caught one drum big enough to keep and that’s been it. Everything else has been 12” or less

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
You will catch Old Drum for the next two months most anywhere you soak baits in the Southern Pamlico. Popping is a little more difficult but fish are around. My guess is that there will be over a thousand 40 + inch fish released this weekend during the tournament. Hope we have good weather.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
You will catch Old Drum for the next two months most anywhere you soak baits in the Southern Pamlico. Popping is a little more difficult but fish are around. My guess is that there will be over a thousand 40 + inch fish released this weekend during the tournament. Hope we have good weather.
how does that tournament scoring work? Just curious.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I haven't fished salt water in years but I keep coming back to this thread in hopes of seeing some big fish..... or just fish in general. Is anyone going to catch something?

maelstrom

Four Pointer
That’s why I rarely plan ahead now. I know the weekends I have my daughter and the weekends I have to be near by for work..... then look for weather gaps in between and go. Success has went way up like that. Spring time is stupid simple to catch them. If you can read a forecast you can catch a drum, or watch drum being caught and at least wonder what you did wrong.

You can just about do that in the fall as well, but they’re not quite as predictable.... but generally more available at a larger variety of locations.

What weather conditions do you look for in deciding whether or not to make the trip?

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Ive got a daughter getting married in a little over a week. After that ive got some time to go walkabout chasing em. Until then i have to be content with specks and flounder behind the house

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
What weather conditions do you look for in deciding whether or not to make the trip?

OBX is where I fish.....

In the spring it’s more weather dependent. SW winds.

Fall, I just go when I can once they hit N.C. waters or come out of the inlets

Buffet Trout

Twelve Pointer
I’m gonna soak an 8-&-bait at fort macon next week...caught them there before...hopefully I’ll have a picture to post

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
OBX is where I fish.....

In the spring it’s more weather dependent. SW winds.

Fall, I just go when I can once they hit N.C. waters or come out of the inlets

I’ll also add and not edit since it’s a been a little bit since this response....

There are preferable winds in the fall. NE is pretty dependable in places. Fish can be more scattered in the fall it seems, however certain winds produce almost like clock work on certain beaches in the fall. I’m still a student of that field though. Avon after a hard NE turned W or SW isn’t a terrible thing

darenative

Twelve Pointer
catching the big drum is fun, because of their size and the fight. but for me, I'd much prefer catching a mess of trout. they're a little more challenging to figure out and sure do taste good.
I can catch trout more often than not within sight of the house. Big drum are a fun distraction before deer season