2019/20 ACC Basketball

Panthera

Eight Pointer
I agree with the earlier post that said Duke can lose more games. They certainly can. But if they even come close to playing the way they did today, no one can beat them. But this team sometimes seems to take a day off once in a while. But they played well today even without Cassius Stanley who has a minor eye injury..

lunker30

Twelve Pointer
UVA pulled out a last second W in chapel hill. Some crazy finishes lately.

You hate to see it.

Anthony had his best shooting game since November. Took 16 shots to get 17 points. Had more Assists than Turnovers for the first time since before Thanksgiving against Elon.

UNC shot the 2nd best % they've shot in ACC play but you can't turn the ball over 15 times in a low possession game that UVA makes you play.

Virginia hit 6-11 from 3 in the second half including the last second dagger. That was probably the difference.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I agree with the earlier post that said Duke can lose more games. They certainly can. But if they even come close to playing the way they did today, no one can beat them. But this team sometimes seems to take a day off once in a while. But they played well today even without Cassius Stanley who has a minor eye injury..
"no one can beat them" is the duke mantra every year because of their talent. they tease with blowouts for mediocre teams,
same thing they say in kentucky.
We'll see how invincible they are come april.

Panthera

Eight Pointer
Quote my entire post. The part where I said they could certainly lose more games. As you said,, no other ACC teams has as many 30 point blowout wins, which leads me to say when they are playing well no one can beat them. But yes, I don't think they will run the table. State will be tough, and could beat them. This team has a bad habit of sometimes losing focus. But I think they should be favored to win the ACC, because at this point in time they look like the best team.

Last edited:

lunker30

Twelve Pointer
State is state. Always losing games they should win.

NIT bound AGAIN

You got a senior guard playing like a 10 year old. Gets benched for the majority of the game and still has 6 turnovers.

If this game doesn’t tell you the replay system is broken in college basketball, then no game will.

You have 627393 cameras. It’s 2020. Why are those 2 plays deemed “not reviewable”. They weren’t even close anyways.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Interesting.

Without Cole Anthony

PPG - 74.0
APG - 16.1
FG% - 43.0%
3PT FG% - 32.0%

With Cole Anthony

PPG - 69.0
APG - 12.9
FG% - 39.0%
3PT FG% - 25.0%

He's the only Point Guard in the ACC that averages more turnovers than assists.

Are we watching the same basketball?

How in the hell did I miss this? Did you really waste that much time digging through all these stats? Find a hobby man, and no, if you go back and watch the Duke game there was a pretty stout graphic detailing UNC’s play with and without Cole. How that’s changed in the last week who knows, but I’ll definitely stand by my claim when I made it. While you’re at it, do one for UNC’s SOS with and without Cole as well.

lunker30

Twelve Pointer
How in the hell did I miss this? Did you really waste that much time digging through all these stats? Find a hobby man, and no, if you go back and watch the Duke game there was a pretty stout graphic detailing UNC’s play with and without Cole. How that’s changed in the last week who knows, but I’ll definitely stand by my claim when I made it. While you’re at it, do one for UNC’s SOS with and without Cole as well.

ThIs is my hobby.

I provide stats proving your claim wrong.

You provide "Saw a stout graphic on TV" for the rebuttle.

UNC's strength of Schedule with and without Cole? You bet!

With Cole
Average NET ranking of opponents - 99.7
Average RPI of opponent - 109
UNC compiled 5 losses to Quadrant 2 and 3 teams.

Without Cole
Average NET ranking of opponents - 82.1
Average RPI of opponents - 89.25

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
"no one can beat them" is the duke mantra every year because of their talent. they tease with blowouts for mediocre teams,
same thing they say in kentucky.
We'll see how invincible they are come april.

You got that.....from what he posted?

Wow.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
ThIs is my hobby.

I provide stats proving your claim wrong.

That's not a very efficient hobby now is it?

UNC's strength of Schedule with and without Cole? You bet!

With Cole
Average NET ranking of opponents - 99.7
Average RPI of opponent - 109
UNC compiled 5 losses to Quadrant 2 and 3 teams.

Without Cole
Average NET ranking of opponents - 82.1
Average RPI of opponents - 89.25

Me and you both know that Gonzaga is carrying the weight of the 'without' column and not the fact that UNC played 5 top 11 teams with Cole versus 2 without. We also both know that UNC has played 3 of the top 4 in the ACC with Cole and 5 of the bottom 8 without. We both know this and we both know the reality of the SOS.

We also know that the weight of your 'with' column is predicated on early OOC matchups which prior to 12/8, UNC was 6-2, so it really has no bearing at all on this argument as to whether UNC was better with or without Cole. They were undoubtedly better prior so the question is whether or not they are better without him now, and we both know they've played a considerably tougher schedule since his return and anyone with a brain can see that. I know you know it but it's not fun to NOT be a contrarian. I know because that's how I am as well. ;)

Last edited:

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
And before you respond Lunker, and trust me I know you will, this season is a wash for UNC. Don't waste time that you can't get back trying to debate with me about whether UNC is only terrible or slightly terrible with or without Cole Anthony. I couldn't care less to debate with you about it right now. They suck!

Panthera

Eight Pointer
I am a Duke fan. Of course I revel in their victories. But I try to be honest. I think, talent wise, they are the best team this year..That being said, it is young talent, which can be quirky and mistake prone at times. I think they should be favored to win the regular season and ACC Tournament. But that's not saying they will. They could have one of those games where they get rattled and lose focus. On Carolina, that team has some talent. Bacot and Brooks are quality bigs, and Cole is the real deal, ,except for the times he goes hero ball. Which, sorry to say,, is most of the time.
I hope Duke takes care of business and swats State aside, but for some reason the Pack plays us tough down there.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
When is that last time; talent wise; that duke was not the "best " in the ACC?
Yet until saturday lville was considered the best team in the acc.
Bilas gushed on them so strongly on his blog that you would have thought he attended lville.
Duke is due; the GOAT wins one about every five years or so recently so maybe they get it done.
but i aint convinced they have the talent to do so.
It's not as good as what they have had many seasons when they fall out.

lunker30

Twelve Pointer
That's not a very efficient hobby now is it?

Me and you both know that Gonzaga is carrying the weight of the 'without' column and not the fact that UNC played 5 top 11 teams with Cole versus 2 without. We also both know that UNC has played 3 of the top 4 in the ACC with Cole and 5 of the bottom 8 without. We both know this and we both know the reality of the SOS.

We also know that the weight of your 'with' column is predicated on early OOC matchups which prior to 12/8, UNC was 6-2, so it really has no bearing at all on this argument as to whether UNC was better with or without Cole. They were undoubtedly better prior so the question is whether or not they are better without him now, and we both know they've played a considerably tougher schedule since his return and anyone with a brain can see that. I know you know it but it's not fun to NOT be a contrarian. I know because that's how I am as well. ;)

My job here is complete.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
How does UNC recover from this debacle of a season? Why would anyone have faith in this coach? He recruited every one of the players. It’s clear they’ve checked out on him.

I’m not sure how they overcome this.

Panthera

Eight Pointer
UNC cannot hold a lead. Not to mention the two bad calls near the end. Hate to see anyone get jobbed..But, fair is fair. One, Black was ridden out of bounds by ND number 14. Refs called Black out of bounds. Should have been a foul on 14. Second, two ND players lose ball out bounds. ND gets the ball that was clearly out off them. All that being said, UNC contributed heavily to their demise...

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
How does UNC recover from this debacle of a season? Why would anyone have faith in this coach? He recruited every one of the players. It’s clear they’ve checked out on him.

I’m not sure how they overcome this.

I could give you a clear template to the national championship, but Tip would give me a vacation if I did. :)