2019/20 ACC Basketball

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
probably the last week a acc team is ranked #1 this season. the whole league is just not that good.
Lville was took apart by TT last night.

BigBuckDown

Old Mossy Horns
probably the last week a acc team is ranked #1 this season. the whole league is just not that good.
Lville was took apart by TT last night.
That's why I actually watch games to decide which teams are good. Going by rankings is never a good idea. Rankings are always biased.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Maybe it's a year of the fabled "parity" for college basketball.
I am used to local teams being relevant so i aint a fan of parity. :)

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
That's why I actually watch games to decide which teams are good. Going by rankings is never a good idea. Rankings are always biased.

Exactly.... Early season rankings are always biased to protect the RPI of so called cartel conferences. When tourney time comes, they have all played each other and their strength of schedule is padded by early season "rankings". Gives them an edge over fringe mid major teams that have had exceptional years, but didn't win their conference.

BigBuckDown

Old Mossy Horns
Exactly.... Early season rankings are always biased to protect the RPI of so called cartel conferences. When tourney time comes, they have all played each other and their strength of schedule is padded by early season "rankings". Gives them an edge over fringe mid major teams that have had exceptional years, but didn't win their conference.
Rankings are nothing more than BS that TV uses to market their games.

I watched that entire Louisville/TT game because I wanted to see the "hype". As I expected, Louisville appears to be overvalued by these "rankings" voters. Texas Tech was the better team. It wasn't a fluke or extremely poor game by Louisville. The better team won.

Unc being ranked in the top 20 still with 3 losses (2 of which were beat downs) is crazy to me. They aren't a top 25 team and haven't been all season.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
how does a mid major have an exceptional year and not win their conference? Or do you mean losing their conference tourney?

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
is it? Are you saying the regular season conference performance is meaningless to the seeding process? That the only "win" is the tourney for mid majors?

No. I’m saying that (at least in the case of the ACC) the tournament champion is the conference champion.

Regular season champion is some made-up :donk:donk:donk:donk:donk:donk:donk:donk.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
No. I’m saying that (at least in the case of the ACC) the tournament champion is the conference champion.

Regular season champion is some made-up :donk:donk:donk:donk:donk:donk:donk:donk.
i dont think that the regular season performance is made up :donk:donk:donk:donk:donk:donk:donk:donk.
it is far more indicative of a team's value than a 4 game run at the end of the year.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
i dont think that the regular season performance is made up :donk:donk:donk:donk:donk:donk:donk:donk.
it is far more indicative of a team's value than a 4 game run at the end of the year.

You keep trying to put words in my mouth. It’s kind of annoying.

I SAID.....”regular season champion “ (and I specifically cited the ACC) is some made up :donk:donk:donk:donk:donk:donk:donk:donk.

There’s only one conference champion. That’s the tournament champion.

lunker30

Twelve Pointer
You keep trying to put words in my mouth. It’s kind of annoying.

I SAID.....”regular season champion “ (and I specifically cited the ACC) is some made up :donk:donk:donk:donk:donk:donk:donk:donk.

There’s only one conference champion. That’s the tournament champion.

We've had this conversation before so just wanted to add on to your comments directly from the ACC and refresh everyone's memory.

"Since July 1, 1961, the ACC's bylaws have included the phrase "and the winner shall be the conference champion" in referring to the tournament, meaning that the conference tournament winner is the only champion of the ACC. The ACC is unique in college basketball in that it does not recognize a regular season champion in any way, although it does permit the regular season winner to hang a banner if it wishes, so long as the banner makes it clear that the title is not official. "

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
We've had this conversation before so just wanted to add on to your comments directly from the ACC and refresh everyone's memory.

"Since July 1, 1961, the ACC's bylaws have included the phrase "and the winner shall be the conference champion" in referring to the tournament, meaning that the conference tournament winner is the only champion of the ACC. The ACC is unique in college basketball in that it does not recognize a regular season champion in any way, although it does permit the regular season winner to hang a banner if it wishes, so long as the banner makes it clear that the title is not official. "
and how does that banner hanging go? Anyone know?
Any school besides unc hang a regular season acc banner?

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Its always been little weird to me to not recognize regular season champ. teams can get hot and win few in row in conf tourn. Regular season you have play everyone

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
how does a mid major have an exceptional year and not win their conference? Or do you mean losing their conference tourney?

I'm no basketball guru, but I thought the conference champion advanced to the NCAA tournament for most leagues. If you happen to be a mid major school, and lose your conference tournament, you don't get an auto bid. Then you are stuck with having your RPI slung in your face by the selection committee because the rankings have been propping up the mediocre cartel 5 teams.

It is much better in basketball and baseball, but it is a real issue in football.

lunker30

Twelve Pointer
Its always been little weird to me to not recognize regular season champ. teams can get hot and win few in row in conf tourn. Regular season you have play everyone

Unbalanced ACC schedules doesn't really produce a regular season champion.

Play everyone twice and then you'll have a clear cut regular season champion and one that I would be ok with recognizing.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Unbalanced ACC schedules doesn't really produce a regular season champion.

Play everyone twice and then you'll have a clear cut regular season champion and one that I would be ok with recognizing.
Still every team plays each other once if I'm not mistaken so better than being able to avoid some better teams in tourn and such small sample compared to 18 reg season conf games. I love the tourn style but I just think what you do all season 18 vs 4 games should be greater reward

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
that is a good point on the balanced schedule.
these days unless you have an injury (like duke last year) I suspect the regular season acc standings mean more in seeding.

lunker30

Twelve Pointer
Still every team plays each other once if I'm not mistaken so better than being able to avoid some better teams in tourn and such small sample compared to 18 reg season conf games. I love the tourn style but I just think what you do all season 18 vs 4 games should be greater reward

Home court advantage means a lot for teams playing each other just once.