2019/20 ACC Basketball

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
imagine being the 7th best team in the country and having to go into overtime and having worst free throw shooters give you the game by a not so good team. what does all of this mean? Unc is not that good and Duke probably should not be in the top ten.

Duke should have blown this team out. Period.
The 7th best team in the country and the GOAT . This Should not have taken overtime and horrific free throw shooting to beat them.

This showcases the hilarious nature of this forum, when it’s at its worst.

Duke won the game.....then promptly defeated a top 10 opponent.

Duke is 21-3.

I won’t make a single disparaging remark about UNC. But, if you don’t think Duke is good, you obviously know very little about basketball.

Last edited:

lunker30

Twelve Pointer
This showcases the hilarious nature of this forum, when it’s at its worst.

Duke won the game.....then promptly defeated a top 10 opponent.

Duke is 21-3.

I won’t make a single disparaging remark about UNC. But, if you don’t think Duke is good, you obviously know very little about basketball.

Couldn't agree more.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
This Duke team is garbage. JMO. They’ve got heart tho(y)

Tre has the same stones his big brother had, but without the talent:)
i am with qbd2. You lose to SFA and clemson and let unc take you to OT you aint hittin on too much.
But apparently this year the collective college basketball world is down. Thus their high standing with the NCAA committee.

State, Va, will be tough wins for duke going forward.

and to be perfectly honest they got a big break on a call late last night to bail them out.
Vernon was bad. 20 TOs? Good thing FSU couldnt make shots that first half.
Probably will take K's greatest coaching job to get them past the first weekend in the ncaa tourney

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
i am with qbd2. You lose to SFA and clemson and let unc take you to OT you aint hittin on too much.
But apparently this year the collective college basketball world is down. Thus their high standing with the NCAA committee.

and to be perfectly honest they got a big break on a call late last night to bail them out.
Probably will take K's greatest coaching job to get them past the first weekend in the ncaa tourney

Bookmarked

Panthera

Eight Pointer

Not sure which call you mean. If you mean the Matt Hurt call overhead replay shows his own man hit him..How about the out of bounds call that clearly showed the FSU kid out of bounds while touching the ball yet the refs gave it to them. How about the imbalance of fouls called in the first half?
Carolina is much better than their record indicates, and they were at home in a big rivalry game.
Vernon was covered up last night by excellent two man defense from FSU.
Duke had 20 turnovers against a great team, yet still won by five. To be sure, this team seems to lose focus at times.
But they are an elite team when they play well, hardly garbage.
I told everyone the chances of a Duke win were good. And win they did..21-3 now..

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
Personally, I simply enjoy a good ACC basketball game and typically won't get bent up over who wins as I have no true allegiance to any ACC teams. I grew up an NCSU fan since my grandfather went to school there but I know better than to expect much from the Pack on the hardwood. My daughter had surgery at Duke as a 1 year old, and she spent 10 years going to follow up appointments at Duke....therefore, she is a Duke fan. To enjoy my time with her, I pull for Duke as well but nowhere nearly as intensely as she does.

All that said.....why is it that nearly every game that is lost by a fan's team, or a game that is won by a fan's foe team....fans blame the refs. Do people really think the refs are biased, or are on the take, or what? Almost always poor officiating is blamed for the ultimate outcome of the game.

Panthera

Eight Pointer
Refs make mistakes. The Matt Hurt thing was a non starter, as it was the kid's teammate that hit him. I just watched it again. But the out of bounds play against Carey. The FSU guy had his hand on the ball and was clearly out of bounds. Refs gave it to FSU. That one even left Jay Bilas incredulous. Just for grins, watch any game officiated by Jamie Lucky, "TV" Teddy Valentine, ,or Mike Eades.
But we must ask ourselves, how good would we do?

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Personally, I simply enjoy a good ACC basketball game and typically won't get bent up over who wins as I have no true allegiance to any ACC teams. I grew up an NCSU fan since my grandfather went to school there but I know better than to expect much from the Pack on the hardwood. My daughter had surgery at Duke as a 1 year old, and she spent 10 years going to follow up appointments at Duke....therefore, she is a Duke fan. To enjoy my time with her, I pull for Duke as well but nowhere nearly as intensely as she does.

All that said.....why is it that nearly every game that is lost by a fan's team, or a game that is won by a fan's foe team....fans blame the refs. Do people really think the refs are biased, or are on the take, or what? Almost always poor officiating is blamed for the ultimate outcome of the game.
refs are a convenient excuse that are used by many. In this area it is an especially sensitive topic and I'll leave it at that.
But to answer your question yes many think the refs are biased. And a good economist can make that case, no one is bias proof.
I do not think they are biased knowingly , I just think they will miss calls. Just like the players miss shots and the coaches miss doing their best job.
As shown here you can have folks looking at the exact same play and disagreeing.
Poor ref has to do it in real time.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
i agree with the dan patrick guy , two fouls on the duke player see him pull the fsu player while positioning for rebound.

tough call for FSU at a critical time. even bilas admitted that.

Unbelievable. He just posted photos....lol.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
unc is a 1.5 pt favorite tonight at wake.
anyone like wake to win?
I havent seen them much this year and they have had some close losses.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I think the ACC refs have made some critical mistakes in the past by engaging fans. Refs are going to miss calls. It's an unfortunate part of the game. But referee's shouldn't engage fans, or stunts on TV to take the focus away from the game. That is the #1 mistake ACC refs have made lately.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Refs make mistakes. The Matt Hurt thing was a non starter, as it was the kid's teammate that hit him. I just watched it again. But the out of bounds play against Carey. The FSU guy had his hand on the ball and was clearly out of bounds. Refs gave it to FSU. That one even left Jay Bilas incredulous. Just for grins, watch any game officiated by Jamie Lucky, "TV" Teddy Valentine, ,or Mike Eades.
But we must ask ourselves, how good would we do?

Not basketball....but Ron Cherry has always been on my listz

lunker30

Twelve Pointer
I think the ACC refs have made some critical mistakes in the past by engaging fans. Refs are going to miss calls. It's an unfortunate part of the game. But referee's shouldn't engage fans, or stunts on TV to take the focus away from the game. That is the #1 mistake ACC refs have made lately.

Most of what you described involved NC State.

Panthera

Eight Pointer
i agree with the dan patrick guy , two fouls on the duke player see him pull the fsu player while positioning for rebound.

tough call for FSU at a critical time. even bilas admitted that.
Bilas hates Duke I think sometimes. FSU #4 is the one that clocked his teammate, not Hurt.