2018 Shed hunting thread

Thomas270

Ten Pointer
Figured I'd start one off since nobody else has...obviously because most haven't dropped yet! Almost as fun finding them as shooting the deer, and for those that like antler soup, it's the easiest way to get your hands on some without sitting in the stand for hours. I've already started scanning the fields a little closer than I have been.
Here's a few from a couple seasons past to get things going!

Attachments

• IMG_0660.jpg
    IMG_0660.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 1,354
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 1,334
  • IMG_0398.jpg
    IMG_0398.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 1,322

muzzymomentless

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Found this one Saturday up in Virginia, right beside the river
1807b6e1324702f984ad3765077d6c36.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
I have two small bucks showing up on camera that have lost one side each, the larger bucks have not shed anything yet.

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I found 4 during deer season, and have picked up 7 fresh ones so far.

7 or did you mean 107 ? Lol just messing with ya

I hunt em pretty hard, 4 fresh ones so far, I’d guess around 75% bucks have shed here as of now

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
anyone use a dog to help them?

i think down here they are one more tough find. midwest, north, not so much. they are big enough there to see. LOL.

i guarantee i have one of the smallest ever found. you could almost use it for a key ring., tiny three point.

best find i ever had was after a snow. they stick out well in contrast to snow cover.

hopefully that opportunity is past for this year.

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
anyone use a dog to help them?

i think down here they are one more tough find. midwest, north, not so much. they are big enough there to see. LOL.

i guarantee i have one of the smallest ever found. you could almost use it for a key ring., tiny three point.

best find i ever had was after a snow. they stick out well in contrast to snow cover.

hopefully that opportunity is past for this year.

I started using a dog last year. Surprised by how fast they catch on to the Bone Game.

Last edited:

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Here are sheds from last year and two skulls found this year. Gonna get started right after duck season. Right now I am using my 18 month old lab we trained from a pup. She absolutely loves to hunt sheds.

Attachments

• 0129181545.jpg
    0129181545.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 909
  • image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 895
Last edited:

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Have to agree with Craig, it sure helps shed hunting if there are any bucks. LOL.

BTW i just read where I believe it was Colorado is now requiring a license to shed hunt. In fact according to the report a permit is required to have possession of antlers. I'm wondering if I reading something into this that isn't there? The wording is specific you must have the permit to possess antlers. My thoughts: What if someone is hunting and tags a buck. That person has possession of antlers. What if a private land owner finds sheds on his/her private property. IMO Colorado is becoming one hell of a lot like California, stupid laws.

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
Have to agree with Craig, it sure helps shed hunting if there are any bucks. LOL.

BTW i just read where I believe it was Colorado is now requiring a license to shed hunt. In fact according to the report a permit is required to have possession of antlers. I'm wondering if I reading something into this that isn't there? The wording is specific you must have the permit to possess antlers. My thoughts: What if someone is hunting and tags a buck. That person has possession of antlers. What if a private land owner finds sheds on his/her private property. IMO Colorado is becoming one hell of a lot like California, stupid laws.

Colorado is slap full of liberals. The only reason lots of hunting opportunities still exist is because hunting generates a huge part of the state's revenue.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Checked cams in NE Chatham this morning.....only a couple young bucks horn free at this time......just fyi

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
pulled my cam card yesterday in Franklin Co and all the usual suspects still wearing their head gear.
I have one on the cam that has only had one side all year; he keeps showing up and still had his single side and wearing it proudly.

Thomas270

Ten Pointer
I'm about ready to start looking! Seems like every time I get a day where I can go there is rain in the forecast. As in today, rain after 12:30, what am I suspose to do all Sunday afternoon?!

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I'm about ready to start looking! Seems like every time I get a day where I can go there is rain in the forecast. As in today, rain after 12:30, what am I suspose to do all Sunday afternoon?!

Only one option - get your taxes done. I just rounded up all my receipts and getting everything in order for my friendly neighborhood CPA to drop off this week.

TH7

Eight Pointer
Does anyone make shed traps? I have read they can be harmful by knocking the antler's off too soon.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
I walked some field edges and power line crossing trails yesterday evening and only found a few lighter knots, some petrified wood and a box turtle shell.

I swapped cards in game cam and it had taken over 6,600 pictures since Dec 22nd 2017. I'd guess that around 80% of the pictures were deer.

<>< Fish

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
walked 10.5 miles in the SC swamps on Saturday and found one little dink 8pt about a year old. Squirrels hadn't gotten to him too bad.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
The little forkie who keeps vacuuming up the last of the corn I'm putting out is still holding 'em.