2018 Season

Tar Heel Sportsman

Four Pointer
With increasing updates regarding the severity of Hurricane Florence that have been coming in over the last few days, what are everyones thoughts about what this storm might do to this years flight patterns? Im especially concerned about the areas of eastern NC near Hyde Co. / Mattamuskeet and how it will effect the numbers that have already been reported to be low.

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
Probably will not help the situation any. I have seen pictures of teal already, but will blow them out of the area quickly.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Yes will not help at all. Have heard similar reports of low numbers as well in a couple areas of NC

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer
It will blow over most of the corn in the impoundments. Coastal impoundments will be damaged severely due to storm surge.

MTumms

Button Buck
My lease in Texas is 20 miles south/west of Houston about 30 miles inland from where Harvey made landfall. We hunt mostly rice, it was one of the best teal openers we ever had. 12 man limit in about an hour and a half. The pintails didn't seem to mind at all once they got into town during regular season either. Doves all left and went south though, it was a pretty dismal dove season throughout. I guess what I'm saying is that the ducks didn't seem to mind.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
My lease in Texas is 20 miles south/west of Houston about 30 miles inland from where Harvey made landfall. We hunt mostly rice, it was one of the best teal openers we ever had. 12 man limit in about an hour and a half. The pintails didn't seem to mind at all once they got into town during regular season either. Doves all left and went south though, it was a pretty dismal dove season throughout. I guess what I'm saying is that the ducks didn't seem to mind.

this year or last?

you won't find NOTHING around here that matches coastal Texas rice paddies,,,,,

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer
Rice and corn are not the same. Corn will fall down then decay....then the bear round it up and eat it. They can eat most of a 10 ac impoundment in 2-3 weeks. If you plan to flood around Halloween you don’t want corn on the ground in September.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
Did not get too much wind or rain from Florence in Hyde, Pamlico may be a different story. Less than 5 inches of rain in the gauge at the refuge. Pretty good year for corn, wetness early did not help the yield in impoundments. I think the fields had excellent yields this year and most was harvested before the storm.

We will just have to wait and see what the OCT full moon will bring us. Hopefully we will get a good share of the Gadwall, widgeon, Pintails and teal.

If there is the right conditions up north hopefully the divers will come. Last year I planned to go up north chasing divers but an auto accident derailed my plan. Maybe this year it will work out.

Just got to have faith to be a duck hunter.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
With increasing updates regarding the severity of Hurricane Florence that have been coming in over the last few days, what are everyones thoughts about what this storm might do to this years flight patterns? Im especially concerned about the areas of eastern NC near Hyde Co. / Mattamuskeet and how it will effect the numbers that have already been reported to be low.
They are low now but that will change quick. Nothing great in the forecast for the next week but hopefully we will get some cooler temps and north winds soon. I don't see too many teal showing up anytime soon. Birds will be here and storm wasn't too bad in Hyde/tyrrell. Not hearing of too much damage from guys down there

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
All of the extra water in North Eastern NC did not help after the 25 inches of rain in July. A good amount of Pennsylvania Smart Weed has been killed due to being under water. Many of the pin oak acorns have dropped early due to the high winds. Most of the impoundments are not going to have the amount of food they normally have. We will see how this will effect how long we can hold fowl throughout the winter. I do not know the timeline but the arsenic from all of the flooded junk yards and the coal ash pond near the Neuse can not be good for our beds of eel grass. Ducks will move on if they do not have anything to eat.
My impoundments on the Roanoke look good but other places including Hyde do not. I enjoy flooded timber hunting anyway. Going to get my fill this year because Mallad Limit will not be the same for some time. Hunting is always a moving target. You have to hunt the conditions that are around you. You will have to spend more time scouting this season. I have always said that ten percent of the hunters kill ninety percent of the game.

Last edited: