2018-2019 NC Ruffed Grouse Season

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Looks like there are a few hunting haywood. the grouse management area is still two young to hold any birds yet, possibly next year.

That said in a previous life i worked in forestry and still have some good friends in it. My friends are the county rangers for haywood, madison and buncome. they are currently trying to pull together some properties that have been clear cut in the last 4-10 years. for finding some grouse.

They have also been crusing the federal timber thats near lake logan. they have been systematically griding the whole mountain, sadly they havent bumped any birds up yet.

There are birds up on the federal land near the lake. Always find them at high elevation though.

I have yet to fly a bird on the grouse habitat portion of the state game lands.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
Looks like there are a few hunting haywood. the grouse management area is still two young to hold any birds yet, possibly next year.

That said in a previous life i worked in forestry and still have some good friends in it. My friends are the county rangers for haywood, madison and buncome. they are currently trying to pull together some properties that have been clear cut in the last 4-10 years. for finding some grouse.

They have also been crusing the federal timber thats near lake logan. they have been systematically griding the whole mountain, sadly they havent bumped any birds up yet.

There are birds up on the federal land near the lake. Always find them at high elevation though.

I have yet to fly a bird on the grouse habitat portion of the state game lands.

I moved a few last year near the grouse habitat.
I won’t probably start hunting over there until deer season ends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Went out this morning to a different place about 3300’. Beat the rain and was a beautiful morning in the fall woods. Had 1 solid point with no bird found, then had one flush wild that we heard, but never saw, ahead of us and the dog. While we were in the woods, heard sirens going up the Mtn. My buddy is a firefighter and said just after he passed my parked F29E4286-8360-422A-9FE2-3C1AA73C0393.png6E8B2748-58DE-4DF4-A870-EB2ED6594247.jpegtruck, they flushed 3 on the roadside responding to a wreck. Such is grouse hunting sometimes.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
Old man is still hunting good but turns 7 this spring so it was time to bring in a new pup for him to teach up. Because it’s not bird hunting unless you have a dog.
74d28b76cb74b1069fae8e681c10d3c1.jpg

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
Good looking pup..... is it a French Brittany?

Yep and he’s an American, but he’s on the smaller size. They both have BIG personalities.

She is 8 weeks old now, she’s a little timid around new loud sounds and new experiences so she’s going everywhere and hearing and seeing new things. I hope by end of January/ February she will have had some gun conditioning and I can take her out quail hunting down east on my buddies property that would be easy walking, working for a puppy but time will tell.

Last edited:

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
Old man is still hunting good but turns 7 this spring so it was time to bring in a new pup for him to teach up. Because it’s not bird hunting unless you have a dog.

I don't think she'll hunt. Better send her to me. I'll give her a good home :)

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer

I don't think she'll hunt. Better send her to me. I'll give her a good home :)

My girlfriend is doing her best to spoil her and she says she won’t hunt. But she likes going after the quail wings I’ve shown her. In a week or two when I go pick up some more quail and pigeons I’ll find out how high of a drive she has.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
0-3 if I could shoot I would have had one. Not bad for a couple hours on public land IMG_3139.jpgIMG_3140.jpg

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer

Thunder 1

Button Buck
Glad to hear people are seeing some birds this year especially on PL. Been out 4 times since my last post mostly looking for new cover. This morning was a bust at the first place we stopped didn't see any thing that looked like it would hold birds. Had some lunch and drove around. Ended up going to a spot I've been wanting to hit for a few years. After about 20 mins. Of walking I said this is what we are looking for. Rounded the next bend and had a flush. Didn't get a point out of the pup but he's young and he wasn't inside 20 yards of it or down wind. We tried to circle around up the ridge and find it again with no luck but I knew the chances were slim. We were starting to lose light so we headed back. It was a nice day in the woods with the dusting of snow a little windy but still a nice day.

Ruff Hunter

Four Pointer
Hey fellas that’s all I hunt is public land..... I made my mind up several years ago that no one is gonna tell me I can’t hunt ....especially as I lost more and more of “ my “ private places...... I just go hunting now and don’t worry ?

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Hey fellas that’s all I hunt is public land..... I made my mind up several years ago that no one is gonna tell me I can’t hunt ....especially as I lost more and more of “ my “ private places...... I just go hunting now and don’t worry ?
Same here hunt public a lot especially when there is 500,000 acres to roam in Pisgah

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
Where I hunted yesterday they are currently logging it. Select cut leaving some of the old pines everything else cut. It’s gotta be a small logging operation because I walked threw the loading pad and the further you walked you could see that it was logged a year or so ago, then 3-5 and so on. That spot should be getting better over time.

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer
Was up in PA earlier this month. 15.5 man days deer hunting typically good Ruff country. 1 flush between 3 guys. Not good up there this year.

Ruff Hunter

Four Pointer
Hey wanted to keep this thread toward the top lol...... I went yesterday and it was yucky weather....cold, wet, and foggy. I moved some but I only saw one......saw several deer hunters.......I’ve seen deer in the western mountains but not enough to warrant me hunting them, especially up high, but to each his own .....

Ruff Hunter

Four Pointer
No I see more grouse ,but my point was in my time hunting in the western mountains I have seen very few deer because the habitat is unsuitable..... sorry, I should’ve clarified myself....

PisgahBear

Button Buck
I deer hunted each day in the Pisgah NF Thanksgiving week, several days in muzzleloader season, and some in archery this year. I've jumped zero grouse and heard zero drumming. I've noticed less each year to the point I no longer carry a shotgun trying to walk them up. Not trying to be a downer just my observation.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Granted they aren’t in abundance lol ...... but there’s a few out there...
Flushed at least a dozen at Sandy Mush last year. They burned me every time and i only got off 2 shots in 4 trips lol. I did kill a nice woodcock though. Seen several of them too, most recently at dawn during turkey season . I don’t have a dog and it’s still a blast. Can’t imagine having that pooch be a part of all of it, sounds awesome