2017 - 2018 Grouse Season

nchunter2

Eight Pointer
Hunted vicinity Lemon Pass in, I think Madison County. Beautiful country, but the public land had very little habitat. It was my first outing for grouse this season....i normally focus on the NW corner of the State.

Lots of greenbriar berries and dried grapes and acorns though.

I also visited Sandy Mush today, a first for me. Hunted two different tracks. Hats off to the State on managing this gameland. Saw tons of deer and turkey sign. No grouse flushed! Did get on a covey of quail....unfortunately they flushed by an archery Hunter in a deer stand not 50yds away....hate to mess up a fellow's hunting! It was mid day, so he was a good sport about it. Not sure if they're many there, but there is pretty good grouse habitat and the most food I've ever seen for grouse anywhere else in NC.

No woodcock found....no sign of WC either! Any of you seeing any WC lately? My dog did point a rabbit which was shot at the flush.

Probably head back to my normal "unproductive" areas north and west of Boone over the next 2 weeks.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I too am enjoying this thread and I have never hunted birds other than turkey and dove. One thing for sure, you guys are truly hard core. I can only imagine trudging up those hills, mainly because I would never be able to these days, but it sure is nice to see someone as dedicated to a game as you are. I do stumble upon an old timberdoodle on occasion while rambling on my place but have never taken a shot. Even they seem to be scarce around here these days so I'm satisfied to watch them sail away. Good luck to all of you and I hope your persistence pays off. Will be looking forward to some pictures of a successful hunt.

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Hunted vicinity Lemon Pass in, I think Madison County. Beautiful country, but the public land had very little habitat. It was my first outing for grouse this season....i normally focus on the NW corner of the State.

Lots of greenbriar berries and dried grapes and acorns though.

I also visited Sandy Mush today, a first for me. Hunted two different tracks. Hats off to the State on managing this gameland. Saw tons of deer and turkey sign. No grouse flushed! Did get on a covey of quail....unfortunately they flushed by an archery Hunter in a deer stand not 50yds away....hate to mess up a fellow's hunting! It was mid day, so he was a good sport about it. Not sure if they're many there, but there is pretty good grouse habitat and the most food I've ever seen for grouse anywhere else in NC.

No woodcock found....no sign of WC either! Any of you seeing any WC lately? My dog did point a rabbit which was shot at the flush.

Probably head back to my normal "unproductive" areas north and west of Boone over the next 2 weeks.

What section of sandy mush? I took my youngest Brittany out there this afternoon to the dead end on cedar hill and the section of old #20 where it meets turkey creek. No luck, but we were mostly just on a hike.

Took the older Brittany out to cold mtn in Haywood this morning - one solid point where I think a grouse had been very recently, and found some sign, but no flushes

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Went yesterday and still lots of hard packed snow and ice which is treacherous to walk on and I hunted 6 hrs.... I’ve been off this week and it’s been tough conditions so I opted to rest today lol.... I’m tired not the dog. Hopefully with the warmer weather on the way next week and the conditions will be better...... I’ve almost come to the conclusion that bird numbers are lower this season than the last few at least where I’m hunting anyway...... still have 2 months left so it might get better ?

Tried to hit a spot up 151 in buncombe and damn near didn't make it out. Ice covered steep road - by the time we realized it was impassable, it was too late. Delayed our plans an hour or two this morning, but still had a good day in the woods

nchunter2

Eight Pointer
Tried to hit a spot up 151 in buncombe and damn near didn't make it out. Ice covered steep road - by the time we realized it was impassable, it was too late. Delayed our plans an hour or two this morning, but still had a good day in the woods

Came close to sliding over the edge on a downhill sharp curve north of Max Patch....stayed under 10mph the rest of the way. Slick roads up there in the high country.

nchunter2

Eight Pointer
What section of sandy mush? I took my youngest Brittany out there this afternoon to the dead end on cedar hill and the section of old #20 where it meets turkey creek. No luck, but we were mostly just on a hike.

Took the older Brittany out to cold mtn in Haywood this morning - one solid point where I think a grouse had been very recently, and found some sign, but no flushes

Don't know the tract names offhand, but the first was off Bear Creek Rd and the other off Cedar Hill Rd Vic Cedar Hill Baptist Church. Covey found in the second hunt.

nchunter2

Eight Pointer

Too bad we didn't bump in to each other....been nice to meet you and your Brittany!

nchunter2

Eight Pointer

Ever flush woodcock at Sandy Mush?

Ruff Hunter

Four Pointer
I was after them today..... snow is pretty much gone but there is still some ice in places. As far as grouse , well I was able to move a few but safe to say they are still alive lol... big rain maker on the way. Hopefully I’ll get one more day before Christmas lol....

Wolfcreek

Button Buck
Hope to sneak out during the Christmas holidays with my Brittney and 28 gauge. I haven't seen many on the gravel roads out in Jackson County this year so we'll just have to see what my dog can muster up.
Cheers,
Wolf

Ruff Hunter

Four Pointer
Just wandering if anyone has been??... I went Sunday in the great state of Tennessee and didn’t move anything. I had a couple of non productive points but no birds.... it was beautiful in the mountains til about 1:30 and then the heavy dense fog rolled in..... gonna be cold for a period of time !!

Last edited:

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Ever flush woodcock at Sandy Mush?

Got my first woodcock ever at the Mush a few days ago. Flushed multiple grouse 4 different times....1 time I didn’t have a clear shot, 1 time I missed terribly at close range cuz the thing startled me so much, and twice as I was hiking in to deer hunt with the 870 full of slugs lol.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
So those of you who have had success finding grouse, do you target elevation or cover primarily?

In other words, do you target areas over X,xxx feet, and then look for cover, or do you just hunt the cover wherever it exists, low or high?

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I only hunt primarily 3,500' plus, and at that point, hit the cover I like... Sunny side of the mountain in beeches till 10 or so...
Then as the sun gets up, I'll find them on the dark side of the mountain in ferns/laurels...

I'll hit all the "good" spots like that on a mountain till 2, then hunt my way back to vehicle...

Have I killed them at 1,500'-2,000' in the Foothills? Yes.
Have I got into loads of birds at 3,000' at the bottom of the mountain when the grapes hit hard? Yes.

But by FAR the majority of my birds come from up high.

This is for the NW mountains, though... totally different ballgame in SW mountains since there's so much more suitable ground and older clearcuts out that way.

I just haven't hunted around Haywood area in a LONG time since moving to Piedmont, so don't really have much recent intel for that area.

Ruff Hunter

Four Pointer
For me it was the cover back a few years ago but something has happened to the birds ( IMO ) below 3000 feet so now I hunt high and look for clear cuts in the 5-20 year old range....

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
For me it was the cover back a few years ago but something has happened to the birds ( IMO ) below 3000 feet so now I hunt high and look for clear cuts in the 5-20 year old range....

Booyah on that! I kinda feel "bad" hunting the low birds that we get reports of from my bear hunting guys... Lone soldiers, you know?

And yeah... gimme a 12 year cutover that I can barely walk through standing up, with some grapes and ferns and I'm in heaven...

Thunder 1

Button Buck
Spent 5 hours today in the woods of South West Buncombe County. Didn't find any birds. The old pups wore out, came home hit the food bowl then the bed. Looks like I'm going to have to do some driving to get to anything. If anyone could throw me a bone it would be appreciated.

ladeer

Six Pointer
Spent 5 hours today in the woods of South West Buncombe County. Didn't find any birds. The old pups wore out, came home hit the food bowl then the bed. Looks like I'm going to have to do some driving to get to anything. If anyone could throw me a bone it would be appreciated.
Where in Buncombe did you go?