2006 Ford F150 running rough

Stick&String

Old Mossy Horns
My f150 started running rough on idle and at times downright shaking while driving. I only drove it about 5 miles from the first of it to when I parked it and switched vehicles.

It threw a code but I don't have a reader. So I have to borrow one or buy one before I see that.

Also, I just had the spark plugs changed 3000-4000 miles ago.

Any thoughts on this?

And I know... It's a ford and some people done like them but I'm just asking for help here.

Thanks guys

mmcss9198

as far as the code reader usually auto zone or advance etc... will have one you can borrow, i would double check and make sure all plug wires or coil on plugs are firmly seated, have you cleaned the maf sensor, usually thats the cause ive seen in the past.

Stick&String

Old Mossy Horns
as far as the code reader usually auto zone or advance etc... will have one you can borrow, i would double check and make sure all plug wires or coil on plugs are firmly seated, have you cleaned the maf sensor, usually thats the cause ive seen in the past.

I have to pick up some MAF sensor cleaner but don't want to mess with it until I know the codes. I'm grabbing a buddies after church tomorrow.

mbnewsome

When you changed the plugs did you change the coils also? Sounds like a bad coil.. If that's the case a code reader will tell you which one(s) is bad. Pretty cheap fix

Hank

Old Mossy Horns
Check your plug wires first.

There are no wires, just boots that attach right to the coil. The main problem I see with these trucks are plugs and coils, and since you already changed the plugs, I would bet the farm you have a bad coil.

If it runs rough/skips while it idles, you could just jump up on the radiator support and unplug one coil at a time until you notice no change in how it runs. When you find the bad cylinder, you could swap that coil out with another coil. If the miss followed the coil swap, then that coil is your problem. If it does not follow the coil swap then you at least have found the cylinder that is missing. That is all info if you can not get your hands on a scan tool.

Last edited:

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Go by Auto Zone with the truck if you can drive it there, they will scan your truck for free with their diagnostic machine..My Dads Lincoln was doing the same thing, ended up being the number 8 cylinder coil, scanned by Auto Zone..

Last edited:

Redeye

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Bad coil. Had the same issue twice last month with my 2003 F150.