200 Wins

MtnMan

Eight Pointer
Looks like K B will get number 200 this year. I know it's not the same as Richard Petty's 200 but still impressive. I don't think either records will ever be broken.

bigten

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
As much as I despise him and his arrogant attitude, I'm big enough to admit his accomplishments. He's a dirty driver with more talent than he deserves. A wheelman with an attitude.

Winnie 70

Eight Pointer
He can drive the wheels off it like the guys long gone....Cale Y, Petty. Pearson, Allisons, and many more. I remember when they hated D.W. when he first started too. They all got there day in the sun and none were perfect by our standards. Dirty driver, none of them was as dirty as Dale E. and the wins he got by knocking someone out . I saw most of them then just smile and say that just racing. Kyle will at least give credit when credit is due....and he can put it where it won't go. Richard said one time Dale going to be good if he don't get killed, well, Kyle going get few more if he don't get killed.

bigten

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
^ You are pretty accurate with your statements. I disliked Dale Sr for the same reasons I dislike kb, the dirty driving. He is too talented with top notch equipment to have to drive in that manner, yet he does.... I have 0 respect for that.

Wv67

Six Pointer
I Loved to watch Dale SR , dirty , talented and wide ass open he did a lot for the sport racing was racing back then bump and grind Kyle Is Kyle loves to win , but I ha ent watched a full race in years it’s not the same to me anymore all cars the same talent don’t get ya the win it’s more of a engineer game than talented racers IMO

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don’t follow racing like some, so help me out here.....

He’s approaching 200 cup wins? If not, how does this compare to Richard’s record? How would it compare to say.....Jeff Gordon?

MtnMan

Eight Pointer
He is on the threshold of 200 wins in all 3 divisions. Kyle himself has said that it would not compare to Petty's 200 cup wins. Kyle is not trying to compare it to Petty. I think anyone who follow racing will admit that 200 wins in all 3 divisions is quite an accomplishment. And just like Petty's 200 , Kyle's record is probably very safe.

302cj

Twelve Pointer
It is tough to pick between the two. But if I was forced I'd pick KB. I know it's 3 different series but he's mastered all 3. I don't care much for his attitude but it's needed in the sport. The entire sport has been looking for s new hero since SR died. While it is about the cars they have to have the feuds or it gets stagnant. Hamlin and Chase... K Busch and Keselowski and so on. KB wants that win more than any other driver on the track! He's proven it every race with his whining and smart ass comments for finishing 2nd. He's 11th in all time cup wins and he's only 33.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It is tough to pick between the two. But if I was forced I'd pick KB. I know it's 3 different series but he's mastered all 3. I don't care much for his attitude but it's needed in the sport. The entire sport has been looking for s new hero since SR died. While it is about the cars they have to have the feuds or it gets stagnant. Hamlin and Chase... K Busch and Keselowski and so on. KB wants that win more than any other driver on the track! He's proven it every race with his whining and smart ass comments for finishing 2nd. He's 11th in all time cup wins and he's only 33.
I mean this sincerely......

Do people really view non “elite” series wins as equal to the King’s wins?

I could be in the minority, but I sure don’t.

The reason I say this is.....how many do you think Richard would have accumulated.......if he had three chances per weekend?

302cj

Twelve Pointer
I mean this sincerely......

Do people really view non “elite” series wins as equal to the King’s wins?

I could be in the minority, but I sure don’t.

The reason I say this is.....how many do you think Richard would have accumulated.......if he had three chances per weekend?
He did. He had multiple wins in same week several times because they would at fairgrounds so often. RP won 200 of 1185 races. KB has won 198 of about 1000 races. Rules were a lot looser back then also. It's just my opinion on KB. As far as toughness RP wins that hands down. No power steering almost no safety regs and without a spotter at every turn.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
How many is “several”?

It doesn’t really matter (to me). Just my opinion, but the only way to compare these guys is by cup wins.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Well, if you're comparing, might as well only compare modern era cup wins. In that case, Petty wins 60-51.

Honestly, I see KBs (potential)200 as equally impressive, if not more so. The vast majority of Pettys 200 'Cup' wins, are that in name only.

bigten

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Well, if you're comparing, might as well only compare modern era cup wins. In that case, Petty wins 60-51.

Honestly, I see KBs (potential)200 as equally impressive, if not more so. The vast majority of Pettys 200 'Cup' wins, are that in name only.

One fact that seems to be consistently overlooked on all subject matter involving petty, is that for a large part of his pre 1972 career his team was one of only a very few that had factory support. On most race days, there were just a few with a realistic chance of winning. Sure, there were exceptions, but not on a very frequent basis. Other than that small omission, I see the article as pretty spot on.

MtnMan

Eight Pointer
He said one time that when he won 200 he would stop running Trucks and Xfinity. I ain't holding my breath for that.

Starfan

Four Pointer
Lol

Good one.
What’s funny about that? Two away from the most ever NASCAR wins. None of his wins ever came on weekdays or at bs dirt tracks. I have tons of respect for the King but you can’t dismiss KB’s success. It will never be duplicated.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
What’s funny about that? Two away from the most ever NASCAR wins. None of his wins ever came on weekdays or at bs dirt tracks. I have tons of respect for the King but you can’t dismiss KB’s success. It will never be duplicated.
No one is “dismissing” anything.

How many “cup” victories is he shy of (forget King Richard)........Gordon?

Look, this boils down to 2 trains of thought:

-One group thinks all of KBs wins should count. And they do (count)
-Another group recognizes that they are “wins”, but sees them as totally separate from “cup” wins.

IMO, they could be go kart wins or Indy car wins and I wouldn’t view them as cup wins. Why? Because - they AREN’T cup wins.

We disagree. I don’t think ill of you. It’s allowed 😉

Last edited:

bigten

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
^ actually:

ESPN
SCORES

All-Time NASCAR Cup Series Wins
Facebook
Twitter
Facebook Messenger
Email
Nov 19, 2018
updated 11-18-2018

Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Wins
NO. DRIVER WINS TITLES YEARS
1 Petty, Richard (HOF) 200 7 1964,1967,1971,1972,1974,1975,1979
2 Pearson, David (HOF) 105 3 1966,1968,1969
3 Gordon, Jeff (HOF) 93 4 1995,1997,1998,2001
4 Waltrip, Darrell (HOF) 84 3 1981,1982,1985
5 Allison, Bobby (HOF) 84 1 1983
6 Johnson, Jimmie 83 7 2006,2007,2008,2009,2010,2013,2016
7 Yarborough, Cale (HOF) 83 3 1976,1977,1978
8 Earnhardt, Dale (HOF) 76 7 1980,1986,1987,1990,1991,1993,1994
9 Wallace, Rusty (HOF) 55 1 1989
10 Petty, Lee (HOF) 54 3 1954,1958,1959
11 Busch, Kyle 51

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
What is funny here is wanting to give Kyle credit for 150ish wins against subpar competition truck and xfinity is like varsity guy playing in JV games of course he'll shine. I give him credit for his 51 CUP wins which is no small accomplishment but to call or even consider him a GOAT is silly he gonna have catch guys like Gordan dale Sr waltrip to get that kinda praise plus one championship he's just not on that league yet he may get there but not yet. If your gonna discredit petty wins against lesser than gotta do same for bush