200 bucks gone...

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Spent 200 on fertilizer , lime, peas and soybeans last month. Planted them and the deer wiped them out. Out of acre and half I got maybe 40 pea plants left and maybe a dozen soybean plants.
I sprayed what was left and am going to plant back Buckwheat.
Worst deer damage yet. We also got the most deer around here in Harnett I have ever seen.
Probably wont kill jack this season. :p:cool:

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Jug, I live in Harnett and like you said we are covered up in deer. Cannot have a garden anymore. If you plant peas soon as they pop out of ground they will wipe them out in one night. Watermelon don't stand a chance.

Reactions: jug

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
Jug , I feel your pain , I had one cow pea plot that never got ankle high. As soon as the plants emerged they ate them up. Have 2 others that have done quite well though , they are being grazed heavily now.

Gonna turn everything under around the middle of August ( the 10th is my target date weather permitting ). Let it sit for a week then go back and use the tiller and plant the fall/ winter stuff. Hopefully we get some decent rains in the upcoming weeks.

I’m gonna plant Whitetail Institute Pure Attraction in my biggest plot , then the remaining plots I’ve got some Beets & Greens to go in one , some Winter Peas Plus in another , and in one little kill plot I’m putting Secret Spot.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Jug- I am extremely happy that all you lost was money.
The title of the thread had me thinking that you had knowledge of a disease breakout killing 200 male deer. :)
Now that would be a travesty,
spend your money wisely and just plant for the turkeys. the wood goats need no help.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Go listen to wired to hunts last pod cast and the buffalo food plot system also wired to hunts podcast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
Spent 200 on fertilizer , lime, peas and soybeans last month. Planted them and the deer wiped them out. Out of acre and half I got maybe 40 pea plants left and maybe a dozen soybean plants.
I sprayed what was left and am going to plant back Buckwheat.
Worst deer damage yet. We also got the most deer around here in Harnett I have ever seen.
Probably wont kill jack this season. :p:cool:
Wait a minute, there are not any Deer or Turkey in Harnett county ??

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Buckwheat always been same for me. Everybody always says it’s so pretty when it blooms or how good it is for doves but I’ve never plenty any that had the chance to get to that point.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The deer ate my buckwheat up last year but they allowed it to grow. I am done with soybeans and peas. Wont make that mistake again.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
The deer ate my buckwheat up last year but they allowed it to grow. I am done with soybeans and peas. Wont make that mistake again.
That is why we shifted gears and went with all clover and overseed with wheat in the winter. less work in the long run and less money. And better long term results.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
Jug- I am extremely happy that all you lost was money.
The title of the thread had me thinking that you had knowledge of a disease breakout killing 200 male deer. :)
Now that would be a travesty,
spend your money wisely and just plant for the turkeys. the wood goats need no help.

Thought the same thing. Lol.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

Used this on my garden after the deer ate most of it. I have not had a problem since.

hmmm,,,,if it works,,I might get some to put on some guys stands,,,you know,,just to make it more "interesting" for them!!

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Don't have a food plot other than my garden here in town. They've been mowing off my field peas, butterbean bushes, cucumber vines and most recently they've stripped all the leaves and stems from several okra plants. Worst damage is from squirrels which have eaten my entire sweetcorn crop; we didn't eat one ear off of it, but over the last week their population has mysteriously dwindled to one smart old sow who takes off when she hears the door open.

ArmyMutt

Eight Pointer
I came home the other night to find 15 deer in the soybean field across the street. Been watching a bachelor herd of 5 small bucks the past week. Nothing on my side, but I haven't planted anything yet. Got about a 3 acre strip that doubles as my range. Not sure what I should plant out there this year. I put corn out at the 300 yard mark last year. Lets me use my range shed as a "blind" and have the kids out there without worrying about movement. I'm just south of Lillington, in Bunnlevel. Where in Harnett are you seeing them?

BASSFAN07

Twelve Pointer
I learned long ago that if you’re planting brand of anytime you got to plant at least 3 acres or so or they will decimate them as soon as they sprout and get two leaves.

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
That is why we shifted gears and went with all clover and overseed with wheat in the winter. less work in the long run and less money. And better long term results.

This is the same decision I’ve made. I will still plant a few peas or sunflowers just to have some “shoots” coming up to keep them interested, but no more spending on RR ready soybeans for me. I did some corn this year & it got wiped out before the ears fully developed! I guess we need to kill more deer this year.